DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior


Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 PM
doug123 doug123 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 ram
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
doug123 is on a distinguished road
Default dashboard

seams like everything under the dash is broken or falling apart examples; when i try to remove radio the plastic just crumbles, the plastic under steering colum fell off, in short every mounting point is broken! i guess it just wasnt made to last.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM
2001RAMSPORT's Avatar
2001RAMSPORT 2001RAMSPORT is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 58
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 4X4 HEMI
Trim Level: Sport-Offroad
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
2001RAMSPORT is on a distinguished road
Default

I would look around for replacements unless you don't want the plastics on there...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
wermbang wermbang is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 10,365
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future
Default

Yeah thats one of the major problems I here with our trucks. The previois owner of mine had it replaced by a dealer back in 03.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 18,896
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 19
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

i read on one of the posts in here that back in the '90s that Dodge was tightening the screws a bit too tight for the plastic mounts & over time the mounts cracked.

Long Motor Company LMC Dodge Trucks page 83 has dash parts

this site carries just about everything that you may need
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_p...m_interior.htm
__________________
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 AM
johnny0874 johnny0874 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 25
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road
Default cheap

Mine was disintegrating too... I had to rebuild the whole thing with fiberglass. It was time consuming, but cheaper than a new dash.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM
SteepleJack's Avatar
SteepleJack SteepleJack is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando, Florida
Age: 42
Posts: 17
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew, 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Garnet
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
SteepleJack is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0874 View Post
Mine was disintegrating too... I had to rebuild the whole thing with fiberglass. It was time consuming, but cheaper than a new dash.
How did it turn out? Any pics? I have been considering trying to repair mine...but I think it is too far gone.
__________________
~ SteepleJack ~
'02 1500 - Quad Cab - 5.9L - 4" Tough Country - 17x10s w/ 315/70's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 AM
erm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I saw this start on my '99 and have heard it from many other 2nd generation Ram owners.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
johnny0874 johnny0874 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 25
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road
Default here's a link

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteepleJack View Post
How did it turn out? Any pics? I have been considering trying to repair mine...but I think it is too far gone.
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70343

There's a link to my thread covering the work in progress. I've got a few friends now who want me to help them with their dash repairs and stereo installs... I'm waiting on some additional drivers for the stereo, and a new heat gun to stretch the vinyl over the dash... But overall, I am really happy with the results of my work. I just need the rest of the parts to get it done. The final install will look stock enough that it won't attract too much attention, but any Ram owner will know instantly that it's all custom.

I hope the thread link has some good info for you... I have to say this much... Fiberglass is REALLY easy to work with. Just make sure you have all the tools you need e.g. a full Dremel setup, Sanders, gloves (you'll go through a lot of these), brushes, mixing cups, etc etc. It's definitely not "cheap" but it's A LOT cheaper than getting a replacement. I spent less than $150 (all materials except the speakers) to rebuild my dahs... and if i would have left it "stock" (no speaker pods) I could have been done in 2 days. With all the custom fitting I did, it was closer to 60 hours worth of work, and it's still only about 80% done... I still need to put on the vinyl and sand and paint the lower dash.

J
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:36 PM
backsaw13's Avatar
backsaw13 backsaw13 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SW Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 14
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Graphite Metallic
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
backsaw13 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0874 View Post
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=70343

There's a link to my thread covering the work in progress. I've got a few friends now who want me to help them with their dash repairs and stereo installs... I'm waiting on some additional drivers for the stereo, and a new heat gun to stretch the vinyl over the dash... But overall, I am really happy with the results of my work. I just need the rest of the parts to get it done. The final install will look stock enough that it won't attract too much attention, but any Ram owner will know instantly that it's all custom.

I hope the thread link has some good info for you... I have to say this much... Fiberglass is REALLY easy to work with. Just make sure you have all the tools you need e.g. a full Dremel setup, Sanders, gloves (you'll go through a lot of these), brushes, mixing cups, etc etc. It's definitely not "cheap" but it's A LOT cheaper than getting a replacement. I spent less than $150 (all materials except the speakers) to rebuild my dahs... and if i would have left it "stock" (no speaker pods) I could have been done in 2 days. With all the custom fitting I did, it was closer to 60 hours worth of work, and it's still only about 80% done... I still need to put on the vinyl and sand and paint the lower dash.

J
the pictures don't show up - is there any chance you could repost or send to me? I like the fiberglass idea the most so far.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum