DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMILANCER
what speeds do u cruise at? and do u know if the mds is working? how much mileage also?
I drive 12 odd miles to the fire department one way and back. I might use my truck on my off days for around town errands. MDS seems to work on my truck but I just bought my truck and only has 500 miles. I am still getting use to how to work that system effectively...I see that barely putting pressure on the pedal will keep it on but any more will turn off and won't come back on until I am on a flat surface at an even speed, or going downhill. I carry nothing but my 230 pound body in the truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminchiten
I have added a mufflex 18 inch and a access lorado tonneau cover to my truck. I see around 16mpg in mixed driving and around 20 on the freeway cruising at around 65.

Best ways to increase mileage is to get the engine to be more efficient and work easier to produce its power. CAI, Exhaust, Programmer are good places to start.

Make sure you are not carrying around any unnecessary cargo, bowling ball? Golf clubs?

Check that the tires are inflated to recommended pressures (I run mine towards the high end of the scale)

There are some more that I can't think of now
To be honest, I don't want the sound and all that on the truck... I am kind of out of that stage and can do without on exhaust. CAI I don't mind.

-- Tire pressures would be an ideal thing to make sure is always on a higher side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Train
You can hand calculate all you like, but you'll never know exactly how much fuel you've got in the tank when you fill, even if you use the same pump the same way every time. Unless you're adding a precise amount of gas and running until the engine quits, you're guessing as to how much fuel you're using.
You have me a little confused on this concept...especially going to the same pump every time. If i put in an even 20 gallons and drove X amount of miles...then how is that not accurate? It's not like the gas pump is sitting up hill or downhill, so the tank is level...I would definitely believe that the hand calc is more accurate than the EVIC system. Can you explain a little more...?

** Thanks for all the input so far, I really do appreciate it! **
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the 2010 laramie quad cab with full options weighs
Curb weight: 5040 lbs.
i get 17+ mpg, & i always weigh 6,300 pounds, with all my gear in the bed, weighed at a public scale house, my Rams mileage improved as i put more miles on it, it currently has 36,000 miles on it, for the longest time i was getting 15.8 mpg
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
05Train is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryken89 View Post
You have me a little confused on this concept...especially going to the same pump every time. If i put in an even 20 gallons and drove X amount of miles...then how is that not accurate? It's not like the gas pump is sitting up hill or downhill, so the tank is level...I would definitely believe that the hand calc is more accurate than the EVIC system. Can you explain a little more...?
How much gas is in your tank? You're adding 20 gallons, but what's already in there? The only way to accurately hand calculate your mileage is to run the truck until it's out of gas, add your 20 gallons (or whatever), then run it out of gas again.

The March 2009 Car & Driver truck comparo put the curb weight of a 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 at 5840 pounds, I'm rounding up figuring the odds and ends I carry with me. Got a better source with a different weight, post it, but it really doesn't make a difference in this discussion whether the truck weighs 6,000 pounds or 5,000 pounds.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:243
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Well now I'm really confused b/c neither you or the OP has a crewcab or a Laramie. I used the Dodge Ram site first then the C&D long term test truck. But like your post the C&D l/t test truck is a crewcab 4x4 (5680 lbs) with Ramboxes and not quadcab.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...oad_test_intro

weight is actually one of the biggest factors when it comes to gas mileage that is why every manufacturer on the planet is starting to use more aluminum, carbon fiber and lightweight plastics. why you would think weight is not a gas mileage factor is beyond me.

Last edited by CHVYKLR; 12-30-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Not saying that weight's not a factor in gas mileage. What I am saying is that regardless of what my truck weighs, I'm getting the mileage I'm getting, which is better than what the window sticker advertised.

The 6,000 pound number was off the top of my head, and is probably within a hundred pounds or so of the actual weight of the truck as it sits.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

How much are you gettin? What have you found helps your mpg the best? I've played around with different driving "techniques" and hwy speeds to see how much the mpg will vary and the HEMI sure can guzzle if you let it. I've never been to MD...is it hilly up there or flat?

I did a FL to CA to VA drive 6 months after getting my truck (and I know this is obvious) but winds and hills (even slight grades) made a difference. At the time I had 3.55 gears and if I maintained approx 68 mph I could manage about 20-21 mpg. Once I started to increase speed the mpgs would start to drop. I've only had my 4.10s about 2 months now and haven't taken any hwy trips yet but to/from work is 23 miles and the traffic is a crap shoot so I can't get an accurate hwy number.

GTyankee has me wanting to find a scale around here to see what I weigh.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM

I'll be going by the county landfill on the way home to get the actual weight.

My work commute is 43 miles each way, 39 miles of that is the DC Beltway, I-95, and a couple of other highways. The remaining 4 miles are either residential streets or 2-lanes with stoplights. My personal best for the trip is an indicated 21.2mpg from a cold start. There are some relatively substantial hills in the 2 miles closest to my house, and if I hit red lights through there, it buries the instant mileage bar. Given typical traffic, and the stop & go stuff I do during the day (I'm a salesman, so I'm on the road a fair amount), I generally average around 17~18mpg. I can't say I'm displeased with that.

Like you, I've found that anything over 65mph starts taking its toll on mileage, though I seem to do better at 65 than 55 when I come to inclines. I've also noticed better mileage using my right foot rather than cruise control, primarily because I come completely off the gas when I'm going downhill. Any sort of traffic murders the mileage, and wind plays a pretty big factor as well.

For the helluvit I filled up with 89 today to see if it makes a difference in mileage. In order for it to be cost effective, it'll have to be at least a 1mpg difference to overcome the increased cost of the fuel.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

nice numbers for combined city/hwy driving!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy View Post
nice numbers for combined city/hwy driving!
Thanks. It's a PITA driving it like that, but as many miles as I drive, I try to save where I can.

Stopped at the landfill and weighed the truck on the way home. It's a state certified scale, and it came in at 5,815.

So, my 2010 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport, with 200 pounds of me, a full tank of gas, a Bakflip F1, GoRhino bed rails and 5" oval step bars, under the rail Line-X, and the various straps and tools I keep under the back seat, I'm a whopping 185 pounds under the 6,000 pound weight I guessed at.

I can live with that.

But that's a testament to how good of a job Dodge has done with both the Hemi and the Ram. For a truck that makes this kind of power and is as big, heavy, and far off the ground as it is to be able to get 20+ mpg under any circumstances is damn impressive.

For reference, I had a 2007 Silverado Z-71 with the 5.3 that couldn't do any better than 19mpg no matter how gently I drove it.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

oh man. I guess all the extras really add up fast. yeah I hate driving like that too. every now and then I just say screw it and drive like I really want!