DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of
Default Front Camera Install Questions

I find the idea of having a camera in the grille area very appealing, especially when dealing with parking lots that are full since the bumpers on the Gen 4s stick out about 4" - 6" from the hood line.

So, I have some questions for those that have done it to a Gen 4:

1. Where did you mount the camera?
2. Got any pics of how its mounted?
3. Anyone done a write up/how-to on installing one in the front?
4. Did you put a switch in the center bezel or other place to activate the camera?

5. How does it tie into your stock head unit that the back-up camera ties into, in other words, how do you get both working on the same head unit?

6. Where did you get the camera? I'm guessing its just a back-up camera mounted in front, but could be wrong.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Metalic Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
Jersey Devil will become famous soon enough

Thats a great question. I used a BOYO license plate camera on my rear and have a after marked stereo with two video inputs. The reverse camera comes on automatically and I would need to use my video two on my head unit to turn on the front camera. I am thinking of installing one on the front myself.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition 4X4
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
ekoog82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Thats a great question. I used a BOYO license plate camera on my rear and have a after marked stereo with two video inputs. The reverse camera comes on automatically and I would need to use my video two on my head unit to turn on the front camera. I am thinking of installing one on the front myself.
I think this would be the only way to do it. Most H/U use a signal or change in the currency to flip to the camera. This is normally done once it goes into revers which would be no good pulling into a spot. You could probably put the camera on a switch and just flip to that source once you pull in.

The only other thing I could think of would be some type of A/B switch if you dont have multiple inputs for the video in on the radio.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

One issue with a front mounted camera is they are very prone to rock/debris damage. Cadillac tried this a while ago with their FLIR system and they had to discontinue it due to replacing lenses constantly. IF you could get the camera somewhere it won't get damaged and still have full view, then more power to you.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
rick980 is on a distinguished road

Mine is mounted in that section below the grille, it is just a plastic area drilled in the center and I use lockpick so it controls the front camera I can have it on when you slow down to 8mph automatically or put it on anytime, same with the rear. You get your power for both cams from your lockpick and you get the extra harness so you can hook up the RCA from the camera then you plug your lock pick in via the instructions and all should work well. You do need to run a power,ground and video cable from each camera to the lock pick box which I installed behind or actually more like in the center console. Sorry no pic and truck is filthy, It would be nice if they let the radio record, but you can hook up another video cam and you could mount it on your dash or one of those nice little HD ones they have now.
Talked my kid into going out and getting a pic the red circle below license plate is the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front camera.jpg (30.4 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by rick980; 01-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
One issue with a front mounted camera is they are very prone to rock/debris damage. Cadillac tried this a while ago with their FLIR system and they had to discontinue it due to replacing lenses constantly. IF you could get the camera somewhere it won't get damaged and still have full view, then more power to you.
I might have that issue already!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Nope my wife turned off the camera in the front........no wonder it doesnt' work, you know even when filthy they still show up a fairly good pic.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:166
Wildcat has a spectacular aura aboutWildcat has a spectacular aura about

Just a thought, but what about aftermarket proximity sensors instead. They would be more durable, and you could have one on each corner and in the middle. It would let you know if you were too close, you just wouldn't be able to see it. They even make them in chrome so that they would blend right in.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to Susanne at NAV TV, get your RamforumZ discount
http://www.navtv.com/userfiles/edito...GIG%20Gen2.pdf
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 AM

All is well my wife was messin with the settings and turned off the front I thought it was somethign else.