DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:26
engine301m is on a distinguished road

Thanks Brad12kx. I will buy it.
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

When yo install it, and drain tubes can exit out the side through an existing hole that has a plug in it. No holes to drill.

Also - The Roll-N-Lock installation directions are correct. The only reason I say this, is I second guessed them, only to find out I was wrong. When installed correctly (pay special attention to the alignment at the tailgate), it works perfectly and sits perfectly straight and aligns perfectly at the tailgate. If you do not want to use their added tailgate lock, 2 screws on each clip on the top, and they are off. They can be re-installed in under 1 minute. Since your new truck has a locking tailgate, you may find removing them is an asset, as you can leave the Roll-N-Lock locked, and still open the gate.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

As soon as my truck arrives, I am having the dealership install the MOPAR brand 3-panel flip cover. I like this over BakFlip (I have the BakFlip on my current vehicle) as it locks in two places as opposed to the BakFlip which does not lock!

One of the things I don't like with the BakFlip is the stacking of the panels up against the rear-window. If you do any driving with the panels in the open position - and up against the rear-window - you will find the exposed ends of the panels will rub against the bed-rail rubber. This looks awful. I put in a claim with BakFlip early last year regarding this (I felt they didn't do a good enough job of filing down the rough edges of the aluminium.) The OWNER of the company said it is easy to replace the weather strip, and that he would send 2 new strips out for me to replace. I told him I was going to replace them...that was why I had the cover installed (for the warranty!) He told me to go see the place where I had it installed. So I did. That company refused to replace the weather stripping, as it would not be worth it on their end financially. Hmmm.
In the end, I ended up compromising (I did not get the weather strip replaced)... the company installed some extra pieces of rubber on top of the weather stripping (so the panels could rest in the open position without cutting into the bed-rail weather stripping.)
I then asked the tech if he could adjust the cover, as it wasn't sitting properly, and I also told him one of the two rods - that hold the cover in the open position, up against the rear-window - wasn't fitting into the panel slot. The guy actually tried repositioning the rod (he had to remove the screws). He tried making new screw holes and ended up rendering the aluminium piece useless. He then CUT the rod down to size! I told him his solution was unacceptable and I wanted a new cover.
In the end I did end up with a new cover - installed by the company.

I try to avoid having to open the panels all the way that they rest up against the rear-window. Two reasons: 1. you can't see a dang thing when they are open. 2. I don't want the panels to rub against the weather stripping. I'm fussy when it comes to things being perfect! LOL.

IMHO, I would never purchase this cover again. It has weathered the winters here in Edmonton. Some of the BakFlip decal is pealing off (no biggie.) One of the rods has started to rust, and I also noticed the track is starting to rub away the paint/rubber. This would be considered normal wear and tear though.

What I don't like about this cover is you can't lock it. I devised my own locking system. Now before you go postal by telling me no bed is ever 100% secure, let me say, "I know!" It isn't that hard to get a coat hanger in and under the cover to catch the release cable. Voilà. You are in.

Just my 2¢