DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:26
austaz is on a distinguished road
Default front mount hitch for backing into a driveway?

Hi all, picked up a 2011 ram1500 big horn just before christmas and now I'm looking to pick up a car trailer. I haven't had to do much trailer backing for years but used to be pretty good since I grew up around boats.

Question is should I bother getting a front hitch now or wait and see if I can get the trailer into the driveway without it, pics bellow, backing into the driveway at the bottom of the pic. Car trailer is 18' total length and what worries me is running the truck front wheels up over the opposite curb and that fire hydrantwhen chasing it. Once I get it in it's a pretty straight shot 75" and into a garage with only 3" of clearance on each side but plenty of room to line it up.

Should gain an extra 1.5ft each side of the road once the snow goes away ...

Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Metalic Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
Jersey Devil will become famous soon enough

I would hold off on the front mount hitch. Once you do it a few times and I would recommend without a car loaded and having a extra set of eyes you will be backing in like a pro. I towed when I was younger and its harder with a shorter trailer so you should catch on easy with an 18'. Take into a lot first and get some training in before attempting the driveway but you should be fine.

Good luck
Old 01-01-2011, 01:37 PM
erm

I'd give the traditional method a try a few times. Once you do it, you'll have it down.

Look behind you or use your mirrors...don't alternate. Hand on bottom of steering wheel, opposite input to where the trailer is going to steer it...you know all this.

You Can Do It!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I'd drive my front end up the driveway across the street.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:26
austaz is on a distinguished road

sounds good, I looked at it a bit more this morning and as the snow melts the road is getting wider.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

We had a front hitch mounted on our rescue rigs for 2 reasons.. 1 you couldnt see around the box for quick enough action to back a boat down a launch (no towing mirrors), and second we had multiple people driving that had no experience with a trailer. Although it makes it a lot easier. The setup is time consuming and a waste of money. With a couple of practice runs youll be fine and after doing it for a week straight, your neighbors will think you're strange but youll be able to whip it in there.

after a week or two, you can decide and post pics of your new front mount hitch if went that route.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the front hitch on my last truck, but, if i was moving something boxy like a travel trailer, you can see more using the rear view mirrors, than you can when your up closer to the tongue. For putting something like parking a boat behind a building, the front hitch works the best.
In my business a front hitch makes me five cents more a mile, but, being as i don't have a metal bumper, i would have to either change bumper styles or carve up my plastic bumper, neither appeals to me, especially for only a nickle better pay
http://barneyspilotcar.com/pilotpole...FaZl7AodXXthng

now IF i wanted to push something
http://www.pro-gard.com/products/push_bumpers.asp

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3247
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave off on the front mount hitch for a bit. There's lots of room to maneuver there and you should ahve no issues once you've done it a time or two. The suggestion of attempting it a few times sans car with a set of eyes front and back is a good one.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
The official Z night owl

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Wow a lot of good suggestions guys!
I agree, once you do it a few times you will have it down pretty good.
It's kinda funny I can back a 48' or 53' trailer into a dock with 2 trailers on each side no problem. But when it comes to my 8 foot quad trailer I get all jacked up lol!!!

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Bearhog is on a distinguished road

Im new on this forum but do have some experience with front mounted hitches. First off and just for information and there is no hitch for a two wheel drive '09 or later. Ive searched and the only thing I found was a Curt for a 4WD. Second, I spent a lot of time looking for information on the carrying capacity of the front suspension. I was concerned about exceeding the capacity with the tongue weight. Lastly (on the negative side anyway) due to the low front end of our trucks you would have to have a pretty long height adjustment, fixed or adjustable drawbar to reach up to the trailer tongue.
With all that said, I LOVED having the front hitch on my Nissan. Something about having the steering wheels so close to the pivot point (hitch) made turning the trailer tremendously easier. I got my TT into places I never dreamed of with the tradition set up, and Ive done my share of towing.
Hope this is helpful.