DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Quiet Lunatic's Avatar
Quiet Lunatic Quiet Lunatic is offline
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 2,169
Gender: Male
Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default

The old iron heads also had issues with the plugs getting frozen but the threads could always be cleaned up. The spark plugs used the compression washers for sealing with the heads. New aluminum alloy heads are easier to strip and need a helicoil to repair the threads. Dissimilar metals between the plugs and the heads cause an electronic current that creates corrosion thus the frozen plugs. To fix that, the new plugs have a special coating. It is critical that the torque is right or the plugs will either loosen up and fly off like in the Fords, or freeze due to over torque.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22  
Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 PM
cptsopiens's Avatar
cptsopiens cptsopiens is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MT
Age: 41
Posts: 19
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road
Default Lifetime Power Traini Warranty

I have a lifetime power train warranty on my 2009 Ram, and just saw the requirement for 30K mile spark plug changes. I am used to hearing that these are done at 100k. I don't think it would effect my warranty, do you? It's not like it will damage the engine? I have to have the powertrain inspected at 5 years to keep the warranty valid. Also, I service at the dealer and they have never suggested changing the spark plugs. I am up to 86,000 miles.
__________________
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Crew Cab, 3.92 Axle Ratio, Bighorn Package, Tonneau cover
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 AM
crusher crusher is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: quebec canada
Age: 31
Posts: 2,243
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsopiens View Post
I have a lifetime power train warranty on my 2009 Ram, and just saw the requirement for 30K mile spark plug changes. I am used to hearing that these are done at 100k. I don't think it would effect my warranty, do you? It's not like it will damage the engine? I have to have the powertrain inspected at 5 years to keep the warranty valid. Also, I service at the dealer and they have never suggested changing the spark plugs. I am up to 86,000 miles.
i dont think your plugs will last that long on this truck,.. maybe to 40k or 50k but you will defenetly feel it starting to miss at that point,..

ive done 70 000km on mine witch is 43750miles and they were already starting to misfire

it is different from one to a other on how much miles youll do on them depending on how you drive your truck,.. but 100 000miles is pushing it

misfire could damage the engine
__________________
2014 ram sport crew cab with ram box,side steps,sport hood,remote starter,8 speed &3.92 gear lsd,4 corner air susp,knn intake,mufflex 18, BT catchcan,bakflip F1 cover
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM
picker picker is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 103
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 ram
Trim Level: st
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:9
picker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Factory plugs will run 100K no problem, WHEN you do change don't buy cheapies they flame out about 40K We run All our trucks 100K plus before change, actually you can re-gap and re-install nothing to go wrong internally on platinums gap just increases at electrode with mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM
crusher crusher is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: quebec canada
Age: 31
Posts: 2,243
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
Factory plugs will run 100K no problem, WHEN you do change don't buy cheapies they flame out about 40K We run All our trucks 100K plus before change, actually you can re-gap and re-install nothing to go wrong internally on platinums gap just increases at electrode with mileage.
mine were factory plug, however i see you have a older truck than are's so maybe you have different plugs on it or maybe it was just my plugs that were not good
__________________
2014 ram sport crew cab with ram box,side steps,sport hood,remote starter,8 speed &3.92 gear lsd,4 corner air susp,knn intake,mufflex 18, BT catchcan,bakflip F1 cover
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM
cptsopiens's Avatar
cptsopiens cptsopiens is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MT
Age: 41
Posts: 19
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher View Post
i dont think your plugs will last that long on this truck,.. maybe to 40k or 50k but you will defenetly feel it starting to miss at that point,..

ive done 70 000km on mine witch is 43750miles and they were already starting to misfire

it is different from one to a other on how much miles youll do on them depending on how you drive your truck,.. but 100 000miles is pushing it

misfire could damage the engine
I wonder how to know when it is misfiring. I have a ticking noise that I hear mostly out of my left ear when driving. Comes and goes. Is that misfiring? Been occurring for 6 months. I mentioned this to Dodge and they said nothing about spark plugs. Again, I have 85k miles and they have never been changed, so perhaps it is time. If so, should I just go into Dodge and have them replace? I know nothing about the different types of plugs you are talking about.

Thanks
__________________
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Crew Cab, 3.92 Axle Ratio, Bighorn Package, Tonneau cover
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM
crusher crusher is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: quebec canada
Age: 31
Posts: 2,243
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsopiens View Post
I wonder how to know when it is misfiring. I have a ticking noise that I hear mostly out of my left ear when driving. Comes and goes. Is that misfiring? Been occurring for 6 months. I mentioned this to Dodge and they said nothing about spark plugs. Again, I have 85k miles and they have never been changed, so perhaps it is time. If so, should I just go into Dodge and have them replace? I know nothing about the different types of plugs you are talking about.

Thanks
no i dont think yours is misfiring,.. hemi engine do tick, if you think its not normal then it could be a manifold bolt that broke,.. they were a recall on that

when mine was doing it (misfiring),.. i could feel lots of hesitation in the engine when trying to accelerate, also less power,.. because basicly not all of the 8 cylinders were working

if you need to change them and if you dont do basic mecanic and dont have the proper tools,.. go to the dealer,... they usally charge 1.5 hours plus the plugs
if not you'll need wrench, extension, 1 or 2 joints,.. the socket,... and 16 original sparkplug, optional would be anti cease grease for the threads,.and beers
__________________
2014 ram sport crew cab with ram box,side steps,sport hood,remote starter,8 speed &3.92 gear lsd,4 corner air susp,knn intake,mufflex 18, BT catchcan,bakflip F1 cover
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2009, 5.7, plugs, replace, spark

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum