DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

The old iron heads also had issues with the plugs getting frozen but the threads could always be cleaned up. The spark plugs used the compression washers for sealing with the heads. New aluminum alloy heads are easier to strip and need a helicoil to repair the threads. Dissimilar metals between the plugs and the heads cause an electronic current that creates corrosion thus the frozen plugs. To fix that, the new plugs have a special coating. It is critical that the torque is right or the plugs will either loosen up and fly off like in the Fords, or freeze due to over torque.
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road
Default Lifetime Power Traini Warranty

I have a lifetime power train warranty on my 2009 Ram, and just saw the requirement for 30K mile spark plug changes. I am used to hearing that these are done at 100k. I don't think it would effect my warranty, do you? It's not like it will damage the engine? I have to have the powertrain inspected at 5 years to keep the warranty valid. Also, I service at the dealer and they have never suggested changing the spark plugs. I am up to 86,000 miles.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsopiens View Post
I have a lifetime power train warranty on my 2009 Ram, and just saw the requirement for 30K mile spark plug changes. I am used to hearing that these are done at 100k. I don't think it would effect my warranty, do you? It's not like it will damage the engine? I have to have the powertrain inspected at 5 years to keep the warranty valid. Also, I service at the dealer and they have never suggested changing the spark plugs. I am up to 86,000 miles.
i dont think your plugs will last that long on this truck,.. maybe to 40k or 50k but you will defenetly feel it starting to miss at that point,..

ive done 70 000km on mine witch is 43750miles and they were already starting to misfire

it is different from one to a other on how much miles youll do on them depending on how you drive your truck,.. but 100 000miles is pushing it

misfire could damage the engine
Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2005 ram
Trim Level: st
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:9
picker is an unknown quantity at this point

Factory plugs will run 100K no problem, WHEN you do change don't buy cheapies they flame out about 40K We run All our trucks 100K plus before change, actually you can re-gap and re-install nothing to go wrong internally on platinums gap just increases at electrode with mileage.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM

crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
Factory plugs will run 100K no problem, WHEN you do change don't buy cheapies they flame out about 40K We run All our trucks 100K plus before change, actually you can re-gap and re-install nothing to go wrong internally on platinums gap just increases at electrode with mileage.
mine were factory plug, however i see you have a older truck than are's so maybe you have different plugs on it or maybe it was just my plugs that were not good
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher View Post
i dont think your plugs will last that long on this truck,.. maybe to 40k or 50k but you will defenetly feel it starting to miss at that point,..

ive done 70 000km on mine witch is 43750miles and they were already starting to misfire

it is different from one to a other on how much miles youll do on them depending on how you drive your truck,.. but 100 000miles is pushing it

misfire could damage the engine
I wonder how to know when it is misfiring. I have a ticking noise that I hear mostly out of my left ear when driving. Comes and goes. Is that misfiring? Been occurring for 6 months. I mentioned this to Dodge and they said nothing about spark plugs. Again, I have 85k miles and they have never been changed, so perhaps it is time. If so, should I just go into Dodge and have them replace? I know nothing about the different types of plugs you are talking about.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsopiens View Post
I wonder how to know when it is misfiring. I have a ticking noise that I hear mostly out of my left ear when driving. Comes and goes. Is that misfiring? Been occurring for 6 months. I mentioned this to Dodge and they said nothing about spark plugs. Again, I have 85k miles and they have never been changed, so perhaps it is time. If so, should I just go into Dodge and have them replace? I know nothing about the different types of plugs you are talking about.

Thanks
no i dont think yours is misfiring,.. hemi engine do tick, if you think its not normal then it could be a manifold bolt that broke,.. they were a recall on that

when mine was doing it (misfiring),.. i could feel lots of hesitation in the engine when trying to accelerate, also less power,.. because basicly not all of the 8 cylinders were working

if you need to change them and if you dont do basic mecanic and dont have the proper tools,.. go to the dealer,... they usally charge 1.5 hours plus the plugs
if not you'll need wrench, extension, 1 or 2 joints,.. the socket,... and 16 original sparkplug, optional would be anti cease grease for the threads,.and beers