DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:79
Silverspyder247 will become famous soon enough
Default LED Cup Holder Lights

I've been reading on the forum for a couple months now and have used some things I've found on here to do a couple mods on my truck and would like to give back a little bit.

I have a flip-down cup holder on the front instrument panel but no lights and finally decided to do something to make it easier to find my refreshing beverage at night. (Sorry, I didn't think right away to take pictures step-by-step... I think I have enough to get the idea across though.)

I took off my dash and unscrewed the cup holder mount. That was the easy part. I already had 5mm LED's and holders and because I'm cheap, that's what I used. I had to then figure out where I wanted to put the LED's so they would properly light up the correct area and not get in the way. Finally I figured out I was going to mount them towards the front of the cup holder in the portion that angled forward towards the dash.

As you can see, I decided to put in 2 LED's for each side of the cup holder. I should have taken a little more time and marked the position of the holes before I started drilling. You can see that they don't quite line up... In the next picture you'll be able to see why this was a little stupid but in the end works out for me anyways. Now I popped off the front panel of the cup holder and realized I should have done that first...

You can see the arms that control the size of the cup holder will smash into the LED closest to them. Eventually I'm sure that will break the LED but for me, my cup fits perfectly without shrinking the size. Now you can see all my wiring and LED's are installed on the cup holder.

On the backside of the cup holder assembly (side closest to the front of the truck), you can see my wires sticking out. Be sure you leave a bit of slack in the wires for the opening and closing of the cup holder.

Now I needed a way to get power to the LED's. Cigar lighter happened to be the closest thing and, conveniently, is only powered while the keys are in the ignition. I spliced into that connector.

Well it was nice to have the lights automatically come on but I wanted to be able to flip them off when I didn't need them (Plus I plan on adding more LED's elsewhere) so now I needed to find a place for a switch. The open spot below the vent on center passenger side was perfect. In went the switch.

And of course the reassembly of the dash and cup holder installed.

And with the cup holder down.

Please excuse the mess... It was raining and I didn't feel like cleaning in the cold rain...

And finally pictures with the lights on. Sorry, don't have any taken at night yet...

And a closeup with them on.

I don't know if I missed anything but that's about all I have on this little mod. I need to do a little cleaning and then get some pictures in the dark because I'm sure you would like to see those as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED Holes Drilled 2 (Large).jpg (54.6 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg Cup Holder Wiring 1 (Large).jpg (119.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg LED's Installed in Cup Holder 3 (Large).jpg (104.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Cup Holder Wiring 3 (Large).jpg (113.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg Dash Power Wiring (Large).JPG (82.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Dash Switch Off 1 (Large).JPG (111.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Dash Installed Cup Holder Up (Large).JPG (97.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg Dash Installed Cup Holder Down (Large).JPG (109.2 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Cup Holder Installed Lights On 1 (Large).JPG (103.7 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Cup Holder Installed Lights On 2 (Large).JPG (75.7 KB, 245 views)
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

A nice mod there. I know I have trouble finding the cupholder in the dark and this is a simple enough mod to do.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Welcome to the site, nice mod
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

thats a pretty sweet mod there bud now you just gotta get night time pics
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

Cool mod.

Did you think about flush mounting them above the cupholders? A pressure switch when you close the door they will go out? Just curious, because when they are on they are aimed upward. not sure how bright they are at night.

Looks good!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Lightbulb Night Shots

Here are the night shots of the cup holder.

@Chili1K
I thought about mounting them above but I would have needed different LED's and I already had these on hand. They are way too bulking to fit in the small space above the cup holders. How I have it wired right now works for me, if I do forget to turn the switch off, as soon as I remove my keys from the ignition, power is cut from the circuit.

And with the rest of my interior lights on:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Night Shot Cup Holder 1 (Large).JPG (33.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Night Shot Cup Holder 3 (Large).JPG (49.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Night Shot Dash 2 (Large).JPG (74.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Night Shot Dash 5 (Large).JPG (41.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Nicely done, and I love the interior lighting
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

cool pics.. I was worried about the light in the eyes..Thanks for the updates!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Oh yeah, I have about 8 feet of LED strips in the footwell area that are also red. They are hooked into the same circuit as my dome light so they come on when the door opens or I turn on the interior light. As a bonus they fade off like the stock dome light.

I had that idea from another post in the forum from a user who was doing puddle lights.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56927
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Did you wire them directly into the dome light line or did you use a relay? I have a relay on mine and when it begins to dim, the relay begins to buzz due to the low voltage. I wasn't sure if the stock line would handle all the LEDs I have on it (about 20' of LED SMD strip), but if you've got that many then I could probably get away with it.