DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Q.C 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Corey Cowen is on a distinguished road
Default Lockers

Hey all, just wondering about lockers. I am wondering if they are worth it for someone who currently doesn't wheel much but want to in the future as more offroad mods are done. How much can a stock 4x4 do and are lockers worth the money? If you think lockers are worth it, what brand do you recommend?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, unless you're going to be doing some serious wheeling in the truck, lockers are just total overkill. If you want some functionality you could look at some air lockers so you freewheel when on the road, but I wouldn't just becuase of the high cost involved. Now, if you're still set on them, then I'd say look at the Detroit lockers, I've never heard anything but good things about them.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 qc 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
05akram is on a distinguished road

Well I have had several different lockers and LSD's.These are just my experiences and opinion. I ran the detroit True Trac which as a mostly street driven truck occasional off roader worked pretty good and smooth and quit as open diff. Ive had the plug in lockers-called LockRite or Quicklock. In my jeep it definitely had a chirping locking popping going on w/ such tight turning radius. The reason I had one in the Jeep though is because I was way happy w how the one in my old 95 f150 ext cab was. It clicked on tight turns but nothing bad at all. This is the truck that had the true trac in it as well. The off road capabilities went down a bit but the on road was better. If I were to buy another plug in locker I would spend a little more and get the Powertraxx. Its supposed to be stronger and quieter than the lockrite that I liked so much. OFFROAD IS AWSOME W A LOCKER. You can almost do as much in 2w than most stock 4wd can do. When my stock LSD goes its either the Powertraxx or the true trac. The plug in lockers are easy to do yourself. Saving BIG $$$$ No need to pull gears like almost any thing out there. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05akram View Post
Well I have had several different lockers and LSD's.These are just my experiences and opinion. I ran the detroit True Trac which as a mostly street driven truck occasional off roader worked pretty good and smooth and quit as open diff. Ive had the plug in lockers-called LockRite or Quicklock. In my jeep it definitely had a chirping locking popping going on w/ such tight turning radius. The reason I had one in the Jeep though is because I was way happy w how the one in my old 95 f150 ext cab was. It clicked on tight turns but nothing bad at all. This is the truck that had the true trac in it as well. The off road capabilities went down a bit but the on road was better. If I were to buy another plug in locker I would spend a little more and get the Powertraxx. Its supposed to be stronger and quieter than the lockrite that I liked so much. OFFROAD IS AWSOME W A LOCKER. You can almost do as much in 2w than most stock 4wd can do. When my stock LSD goes its either the Powertraxx or the true trac. The plug in lockers are easy to do yourself. Saving BIG $$$$ No need to pull gears like almost any thing out there. Hope this helps.
That was good information, and I'd agree with that 100%. You probably won't notice a locker on a heavy truck as much as a jeep because of the weight difference.
And you won't notice the difference between a locker and a limited slip untill you get stuck.
Even though it's overkill for me, when I gear down, I'm getting a rear locker, but probably a Powertraxx.

The only time my factory lsd failed me is when I needed it the most.