DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

A very nice install The audio looks clean, and you've done a great job on the 'glass work.
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 ram 2500
Trim Level: larime
Color: multiple
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:47
johnny0874 is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot... I'm fairly happy with it... just want to keep at it and get it finished.

My Brother Dave saw it and decided it was time for us to attack "l'il Blue" ... his wife's '87 Chevy SWB... He's got a 383 stroker in it and "the whole 9 yards" to make her commute more fun (She's a high school principal, and she drives a slammed, hot-rod chevy... LOL)... Well, he wants the interior to be as sharp as the rest of it...

There's an old saying... "beware of your own success"... LOL

I just hope that anyone who has the same issue I did (a busted dash) will see what I did and find the motivation to fix it themselves instead of just buying a $400 peice of plastic that isn't worth the postage it costs to mail it.

I can't wait til the end of the month... I have a fat check coming in and I want those 8"s for the doors BAAAADDD!!! That's going to change everything.

I'm sure you guys would have laughed this morning ... I showed up at work and one of the kids i work with has 2 15"s in his jeep and then just the factory speakers... so it sounds like crap... and I put him in my truck and threw in some AC/DC... when that first guitar riff ripped and the kick drum started pounding... his eyes lit up like he got hit with a tazer. LOL
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Default answer to a question

A little of topic, but a kid asked me today how to install a capacitor on my thread on another forum... so here is a quick post if anyone else is wondering the same thing...

When you are going to connect a large capacitor into your sound system power supply... You need to think of a few things...

1) Make sure it is strapped down... you don't want it floating around.
2) Make sure it cannot be accidentally shorted.
3) Make sure it is on a circuit breaker or a fusible link.
4) Mount it in a way that no one can accidentally touch it (this can KILL someone).
5) Mount it as close to the amps as possible... this will reduce the amount of power loss (I don't' have time to explain the laws of thermodynamics to everyone, so just push the "I believe button and go with this rule of thumb).
6) When you're ready to charge it for the first time... use a test light to charge it... This means, DO NOT connect the power wire directly to the battery yet... leave the end of it unhooked, and use a test light to connect the end of the main power line to the battery... this gives the power circuit a load and prevents a short circuit condition (which will kill your battery and blow your main charging circuit fuse). If you are not sure how to do this correctly, ask a friend to help you.
7) Keep your ground line as short as possible... less than 2 feet is recommended. Less than 1 foot is ideal.
8) A good rule of thumb is 0.1 farad for every 100 watts of power you're using. Not just on the subs, but for the whole system. You can use individual caps per amp OR you can use one big one (I'm running a cap bank, which is to say that they are all wired in parallel, to provide me with "one" large capacitor... when wired in parallel the capacitance is seen as one and they add incrementally... so my 1/2, 1/3, & 1/4 cap are seen as 1 cap with a 1.1 farad charging capacity).
8a) You can go with more capacitance than my rule of thumb, but in general, it is a waste of money... however, if you're running 1200 watts, and have to choose between a 1 & 1.5 farad... ALWAYS ROUND UP... e.g. get the larger capacitor.
9) Don't ever use power wire that cannot handle the current flow of instantaneous discharge of your power cap... if you do, you risk an electrical fire. If you are not sure what size wire to use, then go to a professional and ask or let them do it for you.
10) Almost forgot this one... Most caps are polarized (+/-) make sure you hook them + to + and keep the polarity in sequence with your battery and stereo power inputs. Could result in an expensive mistake if you don't pay attention.

I hope that doesn't sound condescending to anyone... it's not meant to be such... but I cannot stress this last part enough...

If you do not know what you are doing, get someone to help you the first time... I'd rather hear that a kid was shown how to hook it up right, rather than hear that he shorted the circuit, and it killed him.

A little off topic for my thread, but I hope that was helpful for anyone that reads it...

J
Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

If anyone else is driving a CTD... you'll benefit greatly if you get a couple of large caps (I'm running a 3 farad oval cap) and wire them to your starter circuit really close to the battery. When I start my truck, the intake heater no longer zaps the battery (where it appears to draw down the voltage to 8 volts or so... mine no longer does this). Use 1/0 wire to connect it so it'll handle the current draw. I got my 3 farad cap at Audio Warehouse Express...

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/m...CAP/detail.asp

They're $40 + s/h delivered to your door.

J

Last edited by johnny0874; 01-12-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

WHY was it in the 70's the week of Christmas, when I wanted it to be cold and winter-ish... but today, when I have 2 days left to finish working on my truck before I go back to work and classes... it's 25 degrees outside??? Frakin' BRRRRRRRR.

I managed to get the driver's side mid-range into the hole... had to nibble on some stuff back there, but it all fits now. I have to wait to do anything else until I get some cash in the bank... I need a heat gun so I can stretch the vinyl for the dash and there's no point in starting anything else until I have the cash to order the new sub(s) and door speakers... so It'll be a few weeks before I put up anymore updates.

J
Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
BroncoLee is on a distinguished road

Any updates? The pictures aren't showing up for some reason...

Thanks!!!

Lee