DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
hemi05 is on a distinguished road
Default Detailing Info.

Hey guys. I've been a fanatic about cleaning my trucks since before I even started driving, but there's a few things I've read on here that I'd like a little more expanation about. First of all, a few of you talked about stripping wax with a dish soap before waxing again. Why? So dish soap is HORRIBLE to wash your truck in?
Second, I just got my hood re-painted. It might not be noticeable to anyone else, but to me, the hood looks better than the rest of my truck now. I noticed how water beaded up on it compared to the fenders last night when I stopped to spray it off. How would I go about buffing/waxing/polishing or whatever I need to do? Thanks so much for your info!
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:138
Bodydoc2002 will become famous soon enoughBodydoc2002 will become famous soon enough

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in...But my advise would be one of the Meguaiars total detailing kits...Wash/dry/clay bar/wax then wax again...The instructions will give you everything you need to know...

Also, might want to take your truck to a place that will buff out everything BUT your hood to bring out the origanl color and take out small scratchs etc....Then do the above...Hope it helps a little...
2009 2WD Ram 1500. 7 inch CST Lift. 35 inch Mickey Thompson BAJA ATV. 20 inch ATX Artillery wheels. TOFF Spray in Bed liner. N-Fab 6 step Nerf Bars. BushWacker Pocket/Painted Fender Flairs. Diablosport Predator. K&N CAI 77 Series. 180 Thermostat. LED Tailgate lights.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi05 View Post
Hey guys. I've been a fanatic about cleaning my trucks since before I even started driving, but there's a few things I've read on here that I'd like a little more expanation about. First of all, a few of you talked about stripping wax with a dish soap before waxing again. Why? So dish soap is HORRIBLE to wash your truck in?
Dish soap contains detergents which will remove wax. When you start to detail your vehicle, if it is just a fresh coat of wax or even an extensive correction, it is advantageous to have no waxes left on the paint. Dish soap, more specifically Dawn (which is more effective than most), removes the waxes and oils from the paint's surface, leaving a clean surface for the wax to adhere too.

So is dish soap horrible to wash your car with? No, it will clean the surface very well; however, if you have any wax or sealant on your car, it will remove it and thus, you just waxed your vehicle for nothing. For routine washes, you need to use a car-wash soap that will not remove the wax.

Some great washes that are over the counter include Meguiars Gold Class, and Duragloss 901/902. Online you can find numerous other washes too.

Quote:
Second, I just got my hood re-painted. It might not be noticeable to anyone else, but to me, the hood looks better than the rest of my truck now. I noticed how water beaded up on it compared to the fenders last night when I stopped to spray it off. How would I go about buffing/waxing/polishing or whatever I need to do? Thanks so much for your info!
Your hood beads better because it probably is not scratched like the rest of your truck. I'm not saying you can see any of the scratches I am referring too as they are no more than .1 micron deep, but everytime you wash your car you are instilling extremely small marring on your paint, and water catches theses small scratches. On a newly painted surface, it is just like the paint is freshly waxed. The surface is completely smooth, and water beads up.

Are you looking to polish your paint by hand or machine?
Are you looking for a good wax to use or do you have one?

Just let us know, I'll be happy to help
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Why did the hood need repainting ?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Dish soap is a degreaser, and a surprisingly strong one for doing no damage. Some people use it tro strip the old wax off before applying new wax just so there's a uniform layer. I personally don't use dish soap, but I will clay bar the hell out of the truck before I start waxing it again every spring. The bar removes the wax as well as any particulates.

If you're not happy with how everything is beading, you could definately look at getting the paint polished/glazed before you begin waxing again. This'll get rid of a lot of the small clear-coat scratches/swirls. If you want to do it yourself, you can pick up a random orbit polisher, several microfiber pads, a cutting polish, and a good quality wax. Wash the truck, claybar it to remove any deposits, rinse again, then polish wish the cutting compound, followed by several coats of wax.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

I use a PC 7424 when I can, but alot of the time I end up doing it by hand.

I wash with dawn, then clay with dawn/water 30/70 mix as a lube, then I wash again, then polish, glaze, wax and seal.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM

what kind of cutting polish are you talking about? Is this like a rubbing compound? So what your saying is it is useless to apply 4-5 coats of wax throughout the summer without washing it with something to strip the old off first?
I've been using the once a year polish (can't remember who makes it), it works great but what is the proper way to use it? What I've been reading on here lately has me totally questioning what I've been doing for years! No doubt it has worked, but maybe it could've been better!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi05 View Post
what kind of cutting polish are you talking about? Is this like a rubbing compound? So what your saying is it is useless to apply 4-5 coats of wax throughout the summer without washing it with something to strip the old off first?
I've been using the once a year polish (can't remember who makes it), it works great but what is the proper way to use it? What I've been reading on here lately has me totally questioning what I've been doing for years! No doubt it has worked, but maybe it could've been better!
A cutting polish just refers to a polish that actually corrects the paint. A rubbing compound is way too harsh to use by itself. There are a ton of polishes you can use, but the word polish implies using an abrasive to remove a little clear coat and level the paint. Some waxes call themselves polishes, but in reality, they do nothing to polish the paint. Some over the counter polishes would be Meguiars ScratchX, SwirlX, Ultimate Compound, etc.

It is not useless to apply wax without stripping the surface, but for your first wax of the year, it would definitely benefit the longevity of the wax for you to strip it. Are you using NuFinish polish? I know there are a few that claim to be once a year, and I can promise you that no wax will last a year under normal circumstances.

Once you apply the wax, chances are you will not be able to layer it for a number of reasons. Many cheaper waxes, especially those that are over the counter contain mild cleaning agents. If you wax your vehicles, and go back in a week to re-wax it, you are removing the first coat of wax and replacing it with another. Most waxes will struggle to adhere to another wax on a molecular level as well. So rewaxing should occur when you notice the current coat of wax either loosing slickness or its ability to protect. Then you could rewax it without stripping the paint first as the fresh coat will more than likely adhere to the paint effectively, or you could wash it with Dawn and start over.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:52 PM

so when it starts to warm up, a good idea would be to:

wash with dawn, polish with meguiar's swirl/scratchX (think I have one of those), then several coats of wax.

What kind of wax would you guys recommend? Liquid wax or paste/solid wax? this is something i've wondered about for a long time
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

This is a very informative thread. I'm going track for when spring comes.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"