DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi05 View Post
so when it starts to warm up, a good idea would be to:

wash with dawn, polish with meguiar's swirl/scratchX (think I have one of those), then several coats of wax.

What kind of wax would you guys recommend? Liquid wax or paste/solid wax? this is something i've wondered about for a long time
Yes, I would wash with Dawn first, polish with scratchX2.0 (get the 2.0 if you can), the first version has virtually no cut. I would then rewash with dawn because polishes contain oils, which can compromise the looks and durability of your wax. I would then put on one layer of wax, and come back in 1 week and wax it one more time. Again, most waxes do not layer, but coming back and putting on one more thin coat will ensure the paint is completely covered.

A liquid wax is easier to apply, but a paste traditionally lasts longer. There is a lot of information about waxes, but basically thinner is better. Anything that you buff off when the wax is dried, is excess wax that is wasted. Another thing is that there are hundreds of waxes out there and the durability and looks is determined about 90% of the time with how well you prepare the surface. I have said it a lot of times, but Collinite Waxes are some of the single best waxes I have used. Incredibly durable [award winning] and very easy to use. I have also had good luck with Optimum products. They will be the easiest wax and sealants you can find.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
hemi05 is on a distinguished road

Another stupid question: How much clearcoat do you bring off every time you polish or buff? Is too much dangerous? or is it not enough to ever cause serious damage?

oh, and thanks so much everyone for all the info
Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 AM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Another stupid question: How much clearcoat do you bring off every time you polish or buff? Is too much dangerous? or is it not enough to ever cause serious damage?

oh, and thanks so much everyone for all the info
This image is from Autopia's website, and although there are a ton of other pictures, this one is probably the simplest to understand.

This image shows what a typical clearcoat paint job looks like. The scratches you see would not be able to be felt with your fingernail. They are too fine to feel, and some probably too fine to see, but they refract incoming light and takes away from the potential glossiness of the paint.

Clearcoat thickness usually ranges between 1.5 2.0 mils (35 50 microns), where a mil is a thousandth of a inch and a micron is a thousandth of a millimeter. Theoretically you could have your paint wetsanded with a few different grits, compounded with an abrasive compound a few times on a rotary, and then polished to perfection and maybe .3 mils total would be removed. By hand polishing, you will never achieve this type of correction, or clearcoat removal. You could hand polish your car monthly for the next 10 years and not damage it.

So in reality, the amount of paint removed with hand polishing is not even measurable.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 AM

so even with the cutting polish we were talking about, as much as I wanted to do that, or anything else, I wouldn't hurt the paint? wow that's nice to know
Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
so even with the cutting polish we were talking about, as much as I wanted to do that, or anything else, I wouldn't hurt the paint? wow that's nice to know
A cutting polish by hand will do virtually nothing. A cutting polish by machine could be done yearly without any issues (I say that because you should not need to use an aggressive polish more than once for the initial correction anyways).

There are some people out there who say that washing your car erodes away clear-coat, but please do not succumb to that thinking. Like I said, polishes by hand don't even remove measurable clearcoat, how would washing?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM

so would the 'NuFinish Once a Year Polish' be an agressive polish? or the Swirl/ScratchX? By machine you mean an electric buffer/polisher right? sorry to sound stupid here, just making sure we're on the same page. And something else, when it comes to a buffer or polisher, which would you choose? The buffers that just "shake", or however you want to describe it, or the orbital polishers that spin in circles? or does is even make a difference as long as they have clean pads?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
so would the 'NuFinish Once a Year Polish' be an agressive polish? or the Swirl/ScratchX? By machine you mean an electric buffer/polisher right? sorry to sound stupid here, just making sure we're on the same page. And something else, when it comes to a buffer or polisher, which would you choose? The buffers that just "shake", or however you want to describe it, or the orbital polishers that spin in circles? or does is even make a difference as long as they have clean pads?
NuFinish and scratchx could probably remove minor swirls but nothing more. They are not very aggressive. By machine I mean a Dual Action polisher or rotary polisher. This is a porter cable 7424xp, which is one of the staple polishers. It is a 6 speed dual action random orbital polisher and runs from $100-$150

Something of this nature does absolutely nothing.

You will need a true dual action polisher to do that, as well as a selection of pads, not bonnets.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Crew Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:371
BigSwede is just really niceBigSwede is just really niceBigSwede is just really niceBigSwede is just really nice

I've been using Zaino for about 12 years on my vehicles and have yet to find a shine that compares. My wife's Camaro polishes up to a mile deep shine after a regular wash. The first wash I did on the car, I put 4 coats of Zaino on the paint, and it's still holding up. I'd do more, but it's been way to cold.

With the Zaino, you follow a similar method of washing with dish soap, then clay barring the entire vehicle. Then you start in a series of various polishes, scratch removers, whatever you need, ending with an amazing sealer. The more you add, the deeper the shine. No real build up at all like you might get with most wax products. As soon as I get a hint of warm weather, the Ram will get a full detail treatment.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I agree with you about Zanio. However when it warms up here I'm going to put a coat of Collinite 915 on top of the Zanio. Have read some excellent reviews using this combination.
Jay
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 PM

thanks guys for the info. So just a regular small buffer like something you would buy from Walmart or something is useless? i done the meguiar's clay bar kit last year and couldn't tell a whole lot of difference. I just figured it was where the paint was pretty good in the first place. so what would an aggressive polish be?