DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi05 View Post
thanks guys for the info. So just a regular small buffer like something you would buy from Walmart or something is useless? i done the meguiar's clay bar kit last year and couldn't tell a whole lot of difference. I just figured it was where the paint was pretty good in the first place. so what would an aggressive polish be?
Essentially useless, yes.

Clay bar, if anything, will make your surface look worse, but feel better. It removes contamination and dirt/oils, and reveals the true nature of the paint. It has no corrective ability.

An aggressive polish over the counter would be Meguiars Ultimate Compound, ScratchX 2.0 [not aggressive in terms of removing much clear as previously discussed], but it will do a good amount of correction. If you were to use a Machine there are numerous polishes you could use. You could use Ultimate Compound/scratchx2.0, or use the professional line of products such as Meguiars M105, Meguiars #83, a variety of Menzerna polishes, Optimum Spray polishes, or about 100 others that aren't mentioned.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
hemi05 is on a distinguished road

Oh, ok... So unless there are major corrective issues needing done, an aggressive polish is not needed, right? Just a swirl remover will do plenty good for glossing over again? I used the swirl remover once before and it done wonderful. But it was by hand. I'm guessing a machine is much better
Old 01-11-2011, 04:07 PM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Oh, ok... So unless there are major corrective issues needing done, an aggressive polish is not needed, right? Just a swirl remover will do plenty good for glossing over again? I used the swirl remover once before and it done wonderful. But it was by hand. I'm guessing a machine is much better
Technically, yes. By hand you will never achieve the results that could be accomplished with a machine, but you can restore some gloss to the finish.

Here are a few of my machine correction pictures that give you an idea of what type of correction a machine can do. And if you need to find swirls, put them in the sunlight, or a halogen light which will reveal the smallest of swirls.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

50/50

Some more.... permanent damage

Minimized

50/50
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:567
HerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to all

Don't forget that RED is one of the worst colors for fading and beig able to matchit perfectly so the shade might ba a touch off.
My grandfather use to work for a car company, one of the things they used most on a car for a great detail job on the paint, is believe it or not...Pledge...Yes I said Pledge...the furniture cleaner. It actually has wax in it and will apply a coat of wax to your vehicle at half the cost of some of those other polishes.
Dish soap is what we always use to use on our vehicles to wash them..then lemon pledge...believe it or not it worked awesome. Dad had a 1983 Crown Victoria he had that car FOREVER. he gave it to his brother in 2000 and the car was mint!!! until my uncle got it the car looked almost brand new!
PINK FUZZY DICE!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 PM

wow! those are some amazing pics! Mine isn't as bad as some of those, but I guess you'll always have some fine scratches and swirls from washing and daily driving. Especially around here, you can't go anywhere without getting behind a coal truck or a gravel truck.

So, from your all's experience, what is the best thing to use for minor corrections? Fine scratches and swirls, stuff like that? Also, this should be done by machine, followed by wax, right?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:113
HVACeR will become famous soon enoughHVACeR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRam View Post
Don't forget that RED is one of the worst colors for fading and beig able to matchit perfectly so the shade might ba a touch off.
My grandfather use to work for a car company, one of the things they used most on a car for a great detail job on the paint, is believe it or not...Pledge...Yes I said Pledge...the furniture cleaner. It actually has wax in it and will apply a coat of wax to your vehicle at half the cost of some of those other polishes.
Dish soap is what we always use to use on our vehicles to wash them..then lemon pledge...believe it or not it worked awesome. Dad had a 1983 Crown Victoria he had that car FOREVER. he gave it to his brother in 2000 and the car was mint!!! until my uncle got it the car looked almost brand new!
I don't know about using pledge on the outside of my car/truck, but I use it all the time when I detail the inside. It cleans, removes/repels dust, smells lemony fresh and doesn't leave that ridiculous "Armor All" shine.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
wow! those are some amazing pics! Mine isn't as bad as some of those, but I guess you'll always have some fine scratches and swirls from washing and daily driving. Especially around here, you can't go anywhere without getting behind a coal truck or a gravel truck.

So, from your all's experience, what is the best thing to use for minor corrections? Fine scratches and swirls, stuff like that? Also, this should be done by machine, followed by wax, right?
If it were up to me, I would get a machine and use Meguiars M205. That is a polish that cuts well (it was what I used on the last image, which is from a 2006 dodge charger) and finishes very well and does a good job at removing a lot of swirls and glosses up the paint. You could also use ScratchX2.0 with a machine and get similar results.

Then, of course, wax it!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM

what brand dual action polisher do you use? The porter cable in the pic?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
what brand dual action polisher do you use? The porter cable in the pic?
Yes, the 7424XP model
Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

+1 for the porter cable!!!
Jay