DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases

Notices

Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases News regarding the Dodge Ram and other industry info. Post it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Triton189 is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Ford F150

Otherwise now known as the "Shudder Box"...! Both the Eco and the 5.0 are having issues with a shudder. Ford can't seem to figure it out as many are reporting something that feels like an engine misfire when going up an incline, starting from a dead stop, or cruising between 50-60 MPH. Apparently, the issue is worse when put under load such as towing or when the cruise is on. Google ECOBoost Shudder... there are also some interesting You Tube videos on it trying to pinpoint the issue. Some say it is not the engine but the newly designed two piece drive shaft. Others are saying it is the rear leaf spring suspension. Glad I did not go through the ECO I was looking at.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettis View Post
Can't beat the sound of a V8.
No you cannot! My father in law has a F150 Ecoboost. The sound of the turbos spooling up is kind of cool, BUT it does not sound like it belongs in a truck....wait, let me rephrase that. It does not belong in a truck. There that's better.

I prefer the proven Hemi v8 in my truck. Like others, if I were to have a Ford, it would be the 6.2
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 07 gt built
sportinawoody is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=snrusnak;683335]HAHA love this post! Although their new engines are making good power NA but I totally agree with this statement! For the past 10 years we've gone to the drag strip with a very lightly modified NA 2001 z28 LS1 camaro that runs 13.0 every time in street trim, street tires, etc... and rarely if ever got beat by the mustangs, even the supercharged ones with slicks and sometimes juice. I remember pulling out of the track onto the highway one night and a brand new supercharged mustang pulled out with us and both cars got on the gas and were dead even....pretty pathetic IMO that it took ford's modern forced induction to make equal power to GM's 15 year old NA powerplant, and we got nearly 30 mpg cruising home on the highway.

thats a joke ! you were racing barney fife then because mildy modded ls1's running 13.0 wont even run with my little 2011 5.0 stock with radials and a tune. 12.3 back to back to back. i like all american vehicles but ford has FORCED the other two two rethink their dying technology. they took 300 inches 412hp with almost 30 mpg , unheard of from a production vehicle. and lets not forget fords modular engine program is what MADE chrysler get into the mod engine program . and they are both hemi's , ford just doesnt advertise it . their base gt kills the srt-8's and ss's in every catagory with less power, less motor, and better gas mileage . that is fact mph, top speed , slalom, braking , lateral g's , cornering , etc,,,. and its such a joke theyre having to race it against an m3 just to get any competition in the same class of vehicle. i love all these trucks but the tundra eats youre hemi trucks alive and is built to the standards of a 3/4 ton

Last edited by sportinawoody; 01-01-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 07 gt built
sportinawoody is on a distinguished road

oh and justin burcham has an f1a on a stock motor 5.0 making 813 rwhp with a bone stock engine and it hasnt blown yet as hes testing the durability of this engine . and i assure you i havent had any issues with mine at all. shuddering , losing , etc,,, ford is using 4 cams with variable valve timing on all 4 cams which is making previously unheard of power and fuel economy . until the other two incorporate it, theyre fighting a losing battle, and the gt500 is coming with a 351 4 cam vct in 2013 , better put your seatbelt on. oh im sorry we were talking about trucks... my bad

Last edited by sportinawoody; 01-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportinawoody View Post
..... i love all these trucks but the tundra eats youre hemi trucks alive and is built to the standards of a 3/4 ton
Whose 3/4 ton standards are we talking about? I had to degrade to a 1/2 ton to even get close what the Tundra can handle. I've owned them all, and when it comes to a work truck, I'll take any of the Big 3 over the Tundra. Now if your talking about a truck that's got some serious 'Get up and Boggie', then the Tundra has to be listed....as long as it has the 4:30 gear option.

Quote:
oh and justin burcham has an f1a on a stock motor 5.0 making 813 rwhp with a bone stock engine and it hasnt blown yet as hes testing the durability of this engine . and i assure you i havent had any issues with mine at all. shuddering , losing , etc,,, ford is using 4 cams with variable valve timing on all 4 cams which is making previously unheard of power and fuel economy . until the other two incorporate it, theyre fighting a losing battle, and the gt500 is coming with a 351 4 cam vct in 2013 , better put your seatbelt on. oh im sorry we were talking about trucks... my bad
I believe Ford is headed in the right direction if they plan on staying competitive in the truck market, but they have a ways to go. They introduced a lot of new power plants at the same time, and although they did test them hard, there is nothing harder on a vehicle than Joe average owner, so until the real world field tests are complete, I'm sure event the Ford engineers are on pins and needles and absorbing every little failure detail there is. And NO, it can't be accomplished in a lab or fast tracked with a 300K miles in year test....it requires Joe, to use the truck the way he does for 5-10 years......that's real data!

But no matter how you slice it, they have made an aggressive decision by bring that much new stuff to the market. It's a gutsy move ...gotta give them credit for that.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't own a POS quad cammed engine with a ten foot timing chain. Just wait till these Ford guys try and change the camshafts in one, lol! Not to mention a vehicle from a manufactor that issued executive orders to their dealerships with instructiona on how to look for mods and to document and void the warranty even for something as small as changing the exhaust.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
thats a joke ! you were racing barney fife then because mildy modded ls1's running 13.0 wont even run with my little 2011 5.0 stock with radials and a tune. 12.3 back to back to back. i like all american vehicles but ford has FORCED the other two two rethink their dying technology. they took 300 inches 412hp with almost 30 mpg , unheard of from a production vehicle. and lets not forget fords modular engine program is what MADE chrysler get into the mod engine program . and they are both hemi's , ford just doesnt advertise it . their base gt kills the srt-8's and ss's in every catagory with less power, less motor, and better gas mileage . that is fact mph, top speed , slalom, braking , lateral g's , cornering , etc,,,. and its such a joke theyre having to race it against an m3 just to get any competition in the same class of vehicle. i love all these trucks but the tundra eats youre hemi trucks alive and is built to the standards of a 3/4 ton
I think you missed first thing I said which was that ford's new engines (the new v6, the new ecoboost, and the new 5.0) all make good power. I was referring to the previous engines over the last 10-15 years, and they really were what I said, it took a very heavily modified 4.6L to hang with a stock LS1. Heck even today my buddy's 2001 LS1 camaro with exhaust, intake, and tune is still among the "quick" street cars, and the LS1 has been around for what like 15 years?

GM's factory performance engines were definitely the best over the past 15-20 years, and I think now Ford and Dodge are edging ahead. The LT4 (I think) in the early ninety's corvette Z06 made over 400hp, which there was no real performance car at that time. The newer Z06's big block(I think 7.4L) did it again with 505hp, and got 31mpg on the hwy (now that is what's unheard of....a big block getting that mpg is crazy). Then again recently they did it with the ZR1. I don't see them topping themselves again soon though, but the LT and LS engine base has served them well for over 20 years...

As far as Toyota's, I'm one who thinks they are extremely unreliable from the friend's family I've seen who have them. I also had a few buddy's at the drag strip that would put a few bolt on's on the tundra's and they were shearing the camshafts...also some that had the same happen stock.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

It's evident that this guy is sportinawoody from an SRT8 392 in his bunhole and he's taking it out on us, lol!

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 01-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

I guess I'm just old school but I don't care if that v6 makes 500 hp I'll never own a full size truck with 6 cylinders, it's just not right!

Quote:
i love all these trucks but the tundra eats youre hemi trucks alive and is built to the standards of a 3/4 ton
I'm not sure what Hemi you saw get eaten by a Tundra but it either had problems or a poor driver! My old neighbor has a 2010 Tundra reg cab 4x4 with the 5.7 and it can't run with my Hemi, he was close but couldn't catch up...Rolling start or from a stop, not sure what gears he has. My Ram is still completely stock and it has yet to be beat by another truck!

2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats

Last edited by Butter; 01-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I guess I'm just old school but I don't care if that v6 makes 500 hp I'll never own a full size truck with 6 cylinders, it's just not right!

I'm not sure what Hemi you saw get eaten by a Tundra but it either had problems or a poor driver! My old neighbor has a 2010 Tundra reg cab 4x4 with the 5.7 and it can't run with my Hemi, he was close but couldn't catch up...Rolling start or from a stop, not sure what gears he has. My Ram is still completely stock and it has yet to be beat by another truck!

Geaux Tigers/Saints!!!

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 01-04-2012 at 07:32 PM.