DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Forum Polls!

Notices

Dodge Ram Forum Polls! Get Your Vote On!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Did you add a leveling kit and get the death wobble?
Yes - with an alignment. 11 22.92%
Yes - without an alignment. 1 2.08%
No - with an alignment. 29 60.42%
No - without an alignment. 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 ram 4x4 5.7 hemi
Trim Level: laramie
Color: red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:104
Longshot will become famous soon enoughLongshot will become famous soon enough

2 1/2 inch rough country kit no problems before or after align. I think scatpak is pretty much right on
07 Laramie 4x4 HEMI, ATX series Artillery wheels,Nitto295/60/20 terra grapplers,Predator,nerf bars,leveling kit,stainless door, tailgate handles, mirrors,Weather Tech floor liners,Airaid CAI,Flowmaster 40 series exhaust,Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau,electric tailgate lock, vent visors
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ram QC 4x4
Color: Silver
Rep:10
TDUB is on a distinguished road

2" ProComp leveling kit, all new chassis parts except track bar bushings. It has been aligned. Gonna try a heavier stabilizer shock and adjusting the toe out alittle.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Bad death wobble

I have a 2009 Ram 2500 with a 4" leveling kit with 35" thompson's on it. I slide into a ditch and since then, if I go 70 MPH and hit a small bump I get a VERY violent shake in the front end. It is so bad I almost peed myself when it did it. I got the allignment done and had the suspension checked at the dealership. They mentioned adding a 4" extention to the pippin arm (sp) to ofset the lift. I have been told so much by so many people that I am lost as to what I can do to fix it. I was told that adding an aftermarket double steering stabalizer in place of the factory single would fix this, what is your thoughts.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I think they're referring to something akin to a dropped pitman arm to correct steering geometry but I don't know that this would correct the death wobble, but it can't hurt to try. I think the double stabilizer is a worthwhile investment.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

"Real" death wobble can be caused by numerous problems--tires, wheels, tie rods, ball joints, steering stablizer, etc etc etc. In my research there is no one common cause and no one common cure. What might cause mine may not effect your truck and what cures yours might not cure my problem. My recommendation would be to check all the front end parts to see if they are all within specs and then check your wheels and tires, including tire pressure. Your truck should have the new style tie rod kit already installed although there has been some problems even with the new tie rod kit. There is a TSB about "Death Wobble". If someone tells you that they have found one single cure for all death wobble I'd recommend you get another opinion cause it just ain't true. Make sure whatever you do cures the problem, and does not just mask it.
Jay
Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT 4X4
Trim Level: SLT 4X4
ramrat is on a distinguished road

Dang...I am so close to ordering a set of Bilsteins but I don't want ANY mod to change my performance in 2x4 OR 4x4. This sucks... I guess I'll just have to hold out until I can afford a complete 6" lift. Those come with everthing you need to angle things corrrectly so there isn't any isssure right??

Skat.....is there a way I can tell prior to a leveling kit install if I will have this vibration in 4x4?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 2500 4x4 hemi
Trim Level: slt
Color: poppy red
bigredram is on a distinguished road

as yall can see mine is a 2003 2500 4x4 . I bought the truck used in 2006 w/appx 38,000 mile on it, didnt have any problems for the first three years.Then 1 day I noticed oil leaking from steering stabilizer, so ordered a rancho and replaced it, all good for awhile, Then going on vacation in 2009, like woodja72 said, darn near peed myself when it happened, wife,daughter and grandaughter in truck with me, front end shaking so violently cars on the side and behind me were hitting the brakes. Happened about four times in about 50 miles. Stopped at a dodge dealer, bought a new factory stabilizer, my brother and i changed it in the parking lot, no prob the rest of the trip about 900 miles, but started acting up again when i got home. Yes had everything checked out by my mechanic had front end aligned, tires rotated, balenced and all that. still does it. Have about 85,000 miles on truck now, gonna have all the steering componets changed when i get home and new tires(old ones have about 45,000 on them) and we will see from there
Old 02-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

There is a new tie rod kit that will fit your truck that may help stop the DW. It is a lot more heavy duty than the stock 03 tie rod. You might have to either buy a new steering stablizer or modify the one you have to fit the new tie rod. You should also buy the new pitnam arm that they suggest for the new kit. The pitnam arm and correct steering stablizer are not part of the kit. Also a lot of people have had trouble with Goodrich 315 tires on the 4x4 diesel because of the weaker side walls.(they are load range "D" instead of "E") Some people however say they have never had a problem with those tires so it's kinda a crap shoot. Also check the upper and lower ball joints. Carli are the best ball joints hands down, the only problem is the price $4-5 hundred. Good luck
Jay
Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Napa carries good steering and suspension components (just don't get the cheap line they carry) and Moog has always given me good results.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

I am going to order a new aftermarket stabalizer kit this week. The dealership stated that everything under the truck looks good including the tie rods and ball joints. The truck only has 24K miles on it. The only issues brought up were the 4" drop down for the pippin arm. I know the tires are incorrect since they are D rated instead of E but I don't think that would cause it as I didn't have any issues with it before the slide. I will let you guys know what I find out when I replace the steering stabalizer.