DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
gravityjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default Check engine lite on with malf cruise control and stumble on full acceleration

As the title implies, my check engine light comes on and goes away after I cycle the battery connection. The lite came on over a week ago and I just drove it because the truck ran just fine for about 7days. Then the cruise control wouldn't engage and the engined stumbled when I floored the gas pedal. Let off the gas pedal and it runs fine. Came home and cycled the positive battery terminal, the lite went away,drove it and ran fine and cruise control worked. Drove 40 miles round trip to work today and ran fine but the check engine lite came back on at the end of commute. Cycled the batt term again and lite went away. I'm sure it'll be back again tomorrow. At one time I did hook up an OMB11 diag to it while the check eng lite was on and it threw up a bunch of codes (alot) so thats when I cycled the batt term connection thinking the computor just needed rebooting. Whada U all think? My truck is an 05 SLT 1500 5.7L .
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I think instead of dismissing the codes, you need to take note of them and use them to diagnose the problem. I'm betting you have ETC related codes.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yeah, I'll be throwing the tester on it as soon as the engine lite comes back on. Drove to work today and no lite yet, still gotta drive back 2nite though so we'll see what happens. Thnx for responding.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:22 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

It could very well be a dirty throtle body that's binding and setting the codes. If you haven't cleaned it in a while, get a can of brake parts cleaner, an old toothbrush and go to town on it!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I will clean the TB. I bought the truck used this past April with 113k on the clock and now have 122k on it so chances are it's pretty grungey. Thnx for the suggestion. Being new to this site, I haven't had the time to peruse all the threads on troubleshooting so I really appreciate the knowledge your sharing. It'll certainly speed things up. I'll let you know the results. BTW, brake parts cleaner instead of carb/choke cleaner?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Fixed the prob. It was the EGR valve assy. I ignored all the other ancillary codes, just gonna chalk it up to not being familiar with the particular testing tool I was using. The one pending code said p0404 (EGR CRKT). Bought a cdrom shop manual, found the location of assy,replaced it in 15 minutes. Makes fixin these trucks alot easier man! Not to knock the industry but minor repairs like this are great because that coulda cost me around 200 bucks or more if I took it to the dealer to have it repaired. Heck, I do my own motorcycle repairs and rebuilds so I should be able to do something this simple with my truck. Thnx Ramtech for the responses.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM

Glad to help. The fixes themselves are getting easier in some aspects but diagnostics have become complex. Nowadays you need a good knowledge of electrical systems and networking on top of mechanical knowledge to diagnose a problem.