DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of
Default LED light bar wiring how to

I took advantage of the nice weather today, and I hard wired my LED light bar. Below are several pics that I took while doing so, as well as a write up of what I did, and the mistakes that I made along the way.

For tools you'll need a set of wire strippers, a crimping tool, and a pair of pliers.

You'll also need to purchase a few things, if you don't already have 'em lying around.
4 or 5 (if also doing reverse) pieces of wire of different colors
4 or 5 waterproof butt connectors
4 or 5 quick splice connectors
regular electrical tape
rubber electrical tape (weather proof cold shrink tape)
several tie wraps
lots of patience

I cut the strips of wire into about 4 or 5 inch pieces. This was long enough to be easy to work with, yet short enough where you don't have to worry too much about excess. I had some wire from some sort of project that I did in the past, but I only had 3 different colors, and what I did to make up for this was I cut 2 separate red wires, but on one of them I marked them with 2 stripes using a black Sharpie so I could tell 'em apart.

The reason that I decided to use pigtails for two fold. The first reason was that the wire size on my LED bar was quite small (looked like #22 or #24), where the wire on my harness was either #16 or #18 and tying them in together might have given me some grief. The second reason was in case I made a mistake on the wiring (which I did) and reversed my turn signals, it would be easier to make a new connection with butt connectors than with the quick splice connectors. The pic below is of the pig tails that I made.

I tapped into the trailer plug that sits to the left of the license plate. You'll notice if you look closely that there is a wiring diagram on the cover.

I forgot to take a pic of the back side of the plug before I disconnected it. Here is a pic of the back side of the plug after everything is completed though. It should work for illustration purposes.

Once the plug is disconnected, pull it down below the bumper where you can work on it without lying on your back. You'll need to remove the tape that is holding the wires together, then separate the wires. There is a gray plastic cover that is on the back, but it's pretty easy to remove by pinching a couple of clips (again I forgot to take a pic of it)

on my truck the wire colors are as listed below:
Black with a gray stripe is the ground
Brown is for the running and stop lights
White with a red stripe is for reverse (I didn't use this one as I had previous wired my reverse directly to the reverse light)
White with orange stripe is the left turn signal
white with the green stripe is the right turn signal
***it should be noted here that I had to reverse my left and right turn signal wires because when I tested 'em they were backwards. I'm not sure if this is because I made a mistake with the white/orange and white/green or if the mistake was when I was determining which wires were which on the pig tail coming off of my LED strip light***

I connected my pigtails to the LED light bar using the butt connectors, then connected the other end of the wires to the wires on the harness.

I then wrapped all of the connections in standard electrical tape.

I then wrapped everything in the rubber tape, to make it weather proof. Don't be afraid of this stuff, use as much as you feel you need to. Once it sets it's almost impossible to get off without cutting it.

Don't do what I did. Make sure that all of your wires are run on the same size of all obstructions. I fortunately had enough slack in the wires where it didn't really matter. I may go back and fix this afterward... my wires from my strip light run on the opposite side of my trailer hitch than the harness does.

You're ready to test everything. If everything works the way it should (and it should if you didn't make the same mistakes I did) you can put everything back together, tie wrapping the wires up out of the way for a nice clean look.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

My dad just put his rampage light bar on his new Ram that he had on his sierra. He wanted to keep the wires hidden but was weary of splicing into the wiring harness of his brand new truck with PA winters and all the salt.
He bought a 4 pin splitter that goes between the 7 pin plugs (like this http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...dy/118384.html)
With some double sided tape and a couple zip ties his light bar was on and the wires looked clean and were up out of the way.
Just another idea for you guys
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:67
NUTSHEMI will become famous soon enough

Nice write up. Im looking to get a light bar in a few weeks after I get the bed sprayed. I was wondering what the cleanest way to hard wire it was. I think I just found it.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:55
glamontagne will become famous soon enough

Great write-up, I will certainly be using it this spring/summer.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:109
MS520 will become famous soon enoughMS520 will become famous soon enough

I was going to do this but you beat me to it Nice work!

'04 Ram

"Yea its got a hemi!"
Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 dodge ram 1500 slt 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
Rep:10
MoRob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangshcky12 View Post
My dad just put his rampage light bar on his new Ram that he had on his sierra. He wanted to keep the wires hidden but was weary of splicing into the wiring harness of his brand new truck with PA winters and all the salt.
He bought a 4 pin splitter that goes between the 7 pin plugs (like this http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...dy/118384.html)
With some double sided tape and a couple zip ties his light bar was on and the wires looked clean and were up out of the way.
Just another idea for you guys
And this part#plug 118384 plugged into the dodge 7 pin connector on the back behind bumper with no problems?? Only reason I ask is this is a GM plug and they dont list one for 09 dodge
Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRob View Post
And this part#plug 118384 plugged into the dodge 7 pin connector on the back behind bumper with no problems?? Only reason I ask is this is a GM plug and they dont list one for 09 dodge
I am not sure what the part # was but they do have one for the 2010 ram. this is how I wired up my t/l bar. I just did not want to splice into the factory harness if I did not have to. this worked out perfect for me
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:55
glamontagne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I am not sure what the part # was but they do have one for the 2010 ram. this is how I wired up my t/l bar. I just did not want to splice into the factory harness if I did not have to. this worked out perfect for me
Where did you purchase this?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:67
NUTSHEMI will become famous soon enough

http://www.towready.com/content/prod...05&part=118384

This looks like a real clean way of doing this. My light bar comes tomorrow, so I am gonna call a few local tralier shops and hope they have this in stock.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Those work pretty well nuts, if you can find one to fit your truck.

I had one on my GMC Sonoma, and it was pretty much plug and play. I'm not sure how well it'll work on our trucks though, as there isn't much room up behind the bumper to plug in anything else. I don't know, they may take this into consideration when they created it

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill