DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
alecmcmahon is on a distinguished road

Well, after some hesitation - i decided i had to drive it to work. I dont have another vehicle on the go.

Still same deal, I checked the parking brake, it's free- and i've never touched it to begin with

No recent off roading or anything, just some snow here in NJ the past few days

The rotors visually look clean, after my 30+ mile trip to work on the turnpike i felt the brakes rotors to maybe see if a caliper was hanging up, they seemed normal, warm to the touch all the way around, but nothing to hot.

I did notice that my gas mileage seems crappier, i was getting 14-16, now im getting 11-12 mpg.

I am also noticing that when i release the gas it doesn't cruise very far, as in it seems to slow down rather fast.
example: while at 75 mph i let go of the gas and it took about 4 seconds to get down to 65 mph. ( this was on a flat road way )

Im frustrated, The dealer insisted that it is not stuck in 4wd. Which is fine, if that's the case- but they did absolutely nothing to determine or troubleshoot the issue.
All they did was call my back up saying my truck is done, i get there - and nothing was resolved, and now all the dealers are booked up till Tuesday / Wednesday.

I hate to have to drive the truck, but like i said , no other vehicle road worthy right now. I feel like I am putting un-necessary strain on drive line components, that will pre-maturely wear them out, and conventionally break right after my warranty is up.
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I've driven mine in 4H and honestly could not feel any difference between that and 2wd when going in a straight line. Acceleration and everything else was good. Just a lot better traction in the snow/slush.

Reading your last post has got me wondering. Is the Tow/Haul light on? What gear shows up when you manually down-shift it, should be 5.

Just some things to check. As for the dealer, go back next week and ask to have a Tech go with you and you show the Tech what you're experiencing. They weren't blowing you off, they just can't find everything based on what a customer says because a lot times the descriptions can be rather vague; not saying you were, but if you don't speak Tech speak...
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 AM

Trim Level: SLT Quad cab
Color: BBCP
Rep:10
dubstar is on a distinguished road

if you have snow around you and its stuck in 4wd then you should feel it want to understeer on a corner in snow rather than the usual tail happy, should be fairly obv if it wants to carry on in a straight line rather than turn the corner
Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
I've driven mine in 4H and honestly could not feel any difference between that and 2wd when going in a straight line. Acceleration and everything else was good. Just a lot better traction in the snow/slush.

Reading your last post has got me wondering. Is the Tow/Haul light on? What gear shows up when you manually down-shift it, should be 5.

Just some things to check. As for the dealer, go back next week and ask to have a Tech go with you and you show the Tech what you're experiencing. They weren't blowing you off, they just can't find everything based on what a customer says because a lot times the descriptions can be rather vague; not saying you were, but if you don't speak Tech speak...

Tow / haul light is off, cycled it on and off, no difference. same with traction control.

one click left puts gear display in 5, like normal.

I tried putting the t-case in neutrel, i've never done this before. i light just keeps blinking red. Does the parking brake have to be on to put it in N?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

There are instructions how to put the xfer case in neutral in your manual. It is a multi-step procedure.

You can download one if you haven't already from http://www.ramtrucks.com "owners". Its good idea to register that way you can look up recalls and track you dealer service history and other things too.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I never tell a dealership what it think the problem is,
i just tell them the symptoms, like it used to feel this way & now its feels like it is doing this
if you tell them what you feel the problem is, they don't check for anything else
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I never tell a dealership what it think the problem is,
i just tell them the symptoms, like it used to feel this way & now its feels like it is doing this
if you tell them what you feel the problem is, they don't check for anything else
Seems to be the case, which is sort of silly.

I mean, i gave the best description I could, Being fairly handy and have worked on other vehicles in the past - Being stuck in 4x4 would of been my first guess, I didn't know they would take it so literal that it would be the only thing they checked and then called it a day.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM

bump, looking for additional suggestions.

I've got a few days before my dealer appointment.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that mine is not as ballsey now that's it's winter and I have to press that gas more on the highway, especially when the temps get down below 20 C and the cold northwest wind starts blowing. I also really think that the electronics onboard would though some kind of code and turn on the "service 4X4" light if the switch position disagreed with the mode the transfer case is in. Not 100% sure, just my two cents. Good luck getting to the bottom of your problems.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4x4 ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
despo is on a distinguished road

Maybe pull your negative off your battery for a bit, let the computer reset.