DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
jlineman is on a distinguished road
Default Ford or Dodge

Yes, I know this is a Dodge forum ..But...I am looking at either a 2009-2010 Ford F-150 OR a 2009-2010 Dodge ram.
I have posted the same question on the Ford forum and having never had a Dodge need some honest feed back I have likes and dislikes about both and am really sitting on the fence. The one thing that is a concern is that several years ago Dodge seemed to have a reputation of having not so reliable tyranny's and rear ends. On the other hand I am hearing that the new 6 speed that Ford has in it's F-150 is having problems.
Sure could use some input from the Dodge owners.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:147
FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough

You probably know what you're going to hear right? I went from a '98 F150 (albeit an older generation), I did like the truck, and I'm certainly not a Ford hater. They make a good truck. I faced the same decision when looking at trucks, before buying my Ram. You say the Dodge had problems several years ago... I am not familiar with what you are talking about, but please realize that the Ram has been redesigned. I believe the trannys are the same, but the engine has been tweaked. I drove both and suggest you do the same. After, you will realize why I went with the Ram. The power, capability, and styling of a Ram are tops. Again, you are going to get a slightly biased opinion on either forum, so I suggest you not base your opinion solely on the suggestion of either. I am going to urge you to test drive both trucks (make sure they are similarly equipped of course... ie Hemi 5.7 vs Ford 5.4, etc, not 4.7 vs 5.4 or something). It'll be your truck, so make sure you're satisfied. I wanted to be as unbiased as possible, but you do know I am going to suggest you go with a Ram!
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner
Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew
Color: Bright Silver
FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough

By the way, try stopping by the newbie check in section and introducing yourself. You will find that you are in very good company here on the Ramforumz. ...hmm Yet another reason a Ram would be a good decision...
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I've owned a couple Fords and had nothing but bad luck with them. My Brother has had Fords his whole life until I talked him into his Ram 2500 which he loves, btw. He always had good luck with the Fords.

In today's trucks I believe they are all superior to what were made even 10 years ago. Everything is computer designed and tested on the computer before any parts are put together metal to metal per'se. Then they are tested in real time/real life to see how they perform. If changes need to be made, it can be done rather easily because the change in design on the computer can be sent directly to the machining equipment that makes the part.

Now, for me Ram wins hands down. I love the looks, ride, comfort of the cab, and the power of the Hemi with the 3.92 (in mind minimum required) gears. The only down sides are 2 for me, 1) like most manufacturers they use the "chrome clad" wheels, not real chrome wheels, 2) Not all options are available without picking a certain package, just like all other manufacturers. Not to mention Chrysler also offers the Maximum Care extended warranty which is available up to and including bumper to bumper lifetime and unlimited mileage for not a whole lot of extra money.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

OK, so you want my opinion?

My whole family is all about ford's, myself included. I bought a Ram for several reasons.

1. NO PICKUP TRUCK will beat the 4th gen Ram in ride comfort. PERIOD. Not even a Lincoln Blackwood (Rebadged F150) or a Loaded Toyota Tundra Limited. I know, because I drove every pickup I could think of before I bought my Ram. Nothing compared to the coil spring ride in the rear.

2. THE WARRANTY is unbeatable. Lifetime bumper to bumper for $2500? SWEET. Its a truck, it will pay for itself the second time you break something. Its literally a no questions asked warranty. I havent had to use mine yet, but every dealer I have asked said "When something is wrong, it gets fixed under that warranty, It gets fixed, PERIOD."

3. Safety, I am not sure how the Rams stack up against others, but I know the Ram is 5 star safety rated.

4. Fuel Economy: Ford's 5.4 cant touch 20mpg freeway. Not even by a long shot. More like 16.

5. Kickass factory accesories. No need to mod (did I just say that?) Get it the way you want it!

6. Best quality interior in its class. I dont ever get bored, tired or sick of driving it. It puts a smile on my face every day.

there is more, but it is late. Forget about all your powertrain relaibility worries, and get a Ram with a Lifetime warranty...even if you have to come out of pocket the money for it. Its worth the peace of mind.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I currently own a '09 F-350 and a '07 Ram 1500. I also drive the '10 F-150s (rentals) for work and find that they are woefully underpowered. I prefer the interior of the ford over the ram, but the new ram's power is the best of all the 1/2 tons. The ford is also a pig on gas, I average an additional 150kms to a tank in the ram (same size fuel tanks +-5L).

The dodge tranny issues are pretty much reserved to the 2nd generation rams (94-'02)
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

ford never made an automatic transmission that was worth 2 pennies

you can NOT beat their standard sticks
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 AM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

Just look at the facts about the trucks. For the price you get a lot more from a Dodge over a Ford. The interior on the Ram is gorgeous in the new models and the Fords are alright, unless you get the Platinum or Lariat. I have the Sport and it looks like a caddy inside.

Hemi is the only other thing I really have to say.

My buddy has a new Ford and I have a new Ram. I wanted to laugh since its junk compared to the Ram. Looks like crap has no balls.....WHY WOULD YOU BUY THAT?? I asked. O well! Not my truck haha

Only thing Ford came out with that is good is the Eco Boost motor. Pretty good idea by Ford and the finally came out with a motor that put out more then 320hp in a truck. For a Ford you really have to add tons of options to match what your getting in a Ram. Look at the Sport model and you will have to add some options and you will have an amazing truck
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
SnowChief will become famous soon enoughSnowChief will become famous soon enough

As suggested, take all these comments, including mine and those of Ford lovers and sales folks, with a grain of salt.

I think Dodge and Ford both make good trucks. As I am sure you are aware, the F150 is the best selling vehicle for 34 years straight - very nice accomplishment by any standard. However, I do not like the looks of the 150 and would not buy one if I was in the market for a half-ton. I much prefer the style of the Ram 1500, particulary the nose. Also, I am not wild about owning a truck where when I drive down the road, I pass 20 others that look just like mine. There is something special about owning a truck that is not driven by every other person. Also, Chrysler, which has had its share and more of problems over recent years, has really stepped-up their engineering and relaiablity of the Ram. In 2009, the 4th generation Ram was introduced which, among other things, put the Ram back on the map in terms of improved interior quality and more reliablity. Chrysler understands people want a quality truck as well as something that looks good too.

My overall suggestions are to consider the following:
1) What capablities, if any, do you need from your truck (towing, hauling, payload, etc.);
2) What truck do you see yourself driving, likely for 5+ years?;
3) What is the reputation of the dealership's service where you will buy your truck?;
4) How close is the dealership to you should you buy a truck that needs service for whaterver reason?;
5) What do independent truck evaluators say about the make and models you are interested in?;
6) What kind of mods, if any, can you see yourself installing and how do you think they would look on your truck?
7) What kind of deal will each dealership give you? Who will make this more worth while for you from an economic perspective?

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 2500 Megacab
Color: Red
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

Test drive the Hemi and the truck will make the decision for you! Power wise my '07 Ram makes more power, tows better and gets better mileage than the new F150's. I know because my friend bought a '10 5.4 F150 and we both pull boats to the lake all summer. I love my Ram and wouldn't trade it for 2 Fords! I used to drive an F350 so I can give a good honest opinion.
2007 Ram 1500 QC - SOLD and bought a 2009 4x4 Megacab 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. Full Sinister EGR/Throttle Valve/dpf deletes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, EFI Live tuning by Anarchy Diesel running 100hp Street tune. Peragon bed cover.