DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: XR
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
BIUBigPimpin is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Bang In Reverse Noise And Hard Shift

I hope since I am new I will get a better response than the last gentleman that Had this same problem a few months back. I own a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 1500 Slt Big Horn 5.7 hemi. 43,000 miles The reason i got the truck is so I could tell everyone MOPAR OR NO CAR. I am getting a noise (other than the eletric motor shifting) when I take my truck out of park and put it in reverse and it shifts really hard. Going down the road no problem and driving in the city start and stop the same runs great. 4x4 works fine the only thing is when I shift from park to reverse or pass reverse to drive there is a small pause before it goes in to gear and it goes in really hard. I will move the shifter back and forth a few times and it will improve some times but not always. Please Help with info. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Have you owned the truck since it was new? If you have, when was the last time the trans was serviced? How many miles has it got? What color is the trans fluid? How does it smell?

How about stopping by the Newbie area and introducing yourself.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No got the truck used at 39,000. The fluid looks to be no more than maybe 10,000 miles old and smells sweet like out the bottle
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 AM

RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

With those kind of miles the fluid should still be in good shape, BUT, it should not smell brand new either. Does that make any sense?

If you're not real comfortable with working on transmissions, I'd suggest a stop by Aamco or the dealer. Did you get a warranty when you bought it?
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 07 Flame Red QC
Trim Level: Sport-R/T
Color: Flame Red
Rep:51
raceram9 will become famous soon enough

Do you let the truck idle down before you shift it in to reverse or any other gear for that matter? My 07 dose the same thing unless i let it idle down a bit first i'll bet thats the problem let it idle down to about 800 rpms then shift it and tell us what it dose
2007 RAM QC FLAME RED,20s, 3.92 rear Vararam CAI, Cherrybomb vortex mufflers dumped out in front of rear tires, Superchips Cortex, R/T badges on grill and tailgate custom designed stripes and hood vinyl.....and more to come
Old 01-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

My truck idles around 600-700 and it does not matter if it is that low it still does it and the fluid shows some wear but it not like it has never been changed since it was new. It still has a sweet smell and is red in color. I have a 150,000 mile warranty and can take it in any time but just trying to get a idea if I am not the only one with this problem and what it may be. I even allow time to let the shift motor fully put the trans in gear before letting off the brake. It also does not matter if the truck is already hot or not. Fluid level is in between the marks also.

Last edited by BIUBigPimpin; 01-16-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 AM

It definitely should not be banging into any gear. Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge 1500
Color: Cool Vanilla
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
inkdemon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to inkdemon Send a message via Yahoo to inkdemon

check your universal joints on the driveshaft. Crawl under neath and see if you have any play.