DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 2wd
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Two-tone Red/Stone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
xploded is on a distinguished road
Default 2009 & up 2wd shock options

Well, I was initially planning on the bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks until I discovered 4wd and 2wd shocks actually mount differently, and they only offer the 4wd option.

My question is, what have you guys found as aftermarket options for 2009 & up 2wd performance shocks. They don't have to be adjustable. I'm looking for ALL options.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:463
SUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of light

You should be able to do a set of 4" cst spindles up front. You can also do a complete 7" cst suspension lift to clear 35's. 2wd's sit lower so it takes more than just a leveling kit to clear 35's.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 PM

I appreciate the response, but I am really just looking for info about SHOCKS only. I am planning on a CST lift, but I can't find anything as far as good replacement shock options on the 2wd 4th gen Ram. All I have found is a bottom of the line Bilstein replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUL7ENAZ View Post
You should be able to do a set of 4" cst spindles up front. You can also do a complete 7" cst suspension lift to clear 35's. 2wd's sit lower so it takes more than just a leveling kit to clear 35's.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 AM

SUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of light

So are your stock shocks blown? I just don't see the reason to replace your shocks now if you are going to do a cst 7" and have to buy longer shocks with it (longer shocks are needed because the 3" coil spacer in the kit will change the suspension geometry and require you to use a longer shock). And FYI you can add 4" spindles without needing longer shocks. I know the thread states what your shock options are so here is the answer to your question: you can add any stem (top mounting style) to loop (bottom mounting style in the appropriate extended and collapsed length. You will either have to measure or call a company like bilstein to find out. Typically most people don't look for anything nicer than bottom of the line for stock height. If you know the travel (extended length-collapsed usable lengths) you can add virtually any type of stem to eye shock.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUL7ENAZ View Post
So are your stock shocks blown? I just don't see the reason to replace your shocks now if you are going to do a cst 7" and have to buy longer shocks with it (longer shocks are needed because the 3" coil spacer in the kit will change the suspension geometry and require you to use a longer shock). And FYI you can add 4" spindles without needing longer shocks. I know the thread states what your shock options are so here is the answer to your question: you can add any stem (top mounting style) to loop (bottom mounting style in the appropriate extended and collapsed length. You will either have to measure or call a company like bilstein to find out. Typically most people don't look for anything nicer than bottom of the line for stock height. If you know the travel (extended length-collapsed usable lengths) you can add virtually any type of stem to eye shock.
Ok... You are really going to make me explain myself, aren't you?

First off, the CST lift does not require longer shocks on the front. The geometry is still the same. The a-arms are in the same position, and the bump stops are too. My shocks are not blown. I just WANT to replace them to something BETTER. My history of modifying trucks is extreme. Usually completely removing the suspension and fabricating something new. I have done that a few times. (one ride even featured in Off-Road magazine), but this truck is not going to be like that. It is going to be simple. Just a simple lift with better shocks to handle these Arizona dirt roads...
Now, maybe I should have been clearer with my question...

"Does anyone know of any bolt-in shock applications for a 2wd 4th gen Ram?"

Here's the only one I can find:
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/images/pr...E5-G740-H0.jpg

Now it seems this may be the best option out there. My new plan (since I want better than that bilstein, is to modify the mounts so I can run a king or fox shock in there. The stock shock is upper pin to lower eyelet but the eyelet comes with that weird flat blade-like mount. Here is an adapter to change the upper pin to standard:
http://www.chaosfab.com/product/acce...tund/30012.jpg
I remember seeing somewhere the adapter for that lower blade-like mount to use a standart eyelet shock as well. (refer to the first bilstein photo to see the odd lower mount.) But, I am still searching for it. If/when I find it, I'll likely use it on bottom, and the pin to eyelet adapter on top and run a king shock in there.

Now if anyone knows of any good bolt-in applications to save myself all the trouble of the mount modifications, then I would love to hear about them.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:138
Bodydoc2002 will become famous soon enoughBodydoc2002 will become famous soon enough

Pro Comp 3000...I just had the CST 7 inch lift put on my truck (I know not your question) but thats the replacement shock I got if that helps...The shop that did my lift likes those better than the CST performance shock which also fits our truck...
2009 2WD Ram 1500. 7 inch CST Lift. 35 inch Mickey Thompson BAJA ATV. 20 inch ATX Artillery wheels. TOFF Spray in Bed liner. N-Fab 6 step Nerf Bars. BushWacker Pocket/Painted Fender Flairs. Diablosport Predator. K&N CAI 77 Series. 180 Thermostat. LED Tailgate lights.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodydoc2002 View Post
Pro Comp 3000...I just had the CST 7 inch lift put on my truck (I know not your question) but thats the replacement shock I got if that helps...The shop that did my lift likes those better than the CST performance shock which also fits our truck...
Thanks, is that Pro Comp 3000 for the front shock? The tech at CST I have been in contact with says they don't offer a front shock. Only a rear shock.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 PM

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...abs_c_197.html

I cross referenced the parts and the lift is exactly the same for 2002-2010 trucks. Spindles and Coil spacers if you have a hemi. On pre 4th gen trucks you can run the CST UCA
And as far as I remember the CSR-1200 - CST PERFORMANCE FRONT SHOCK are the longer front shocks we used on this truck when we first built it:

It's running fox rezi's up front. You seem to have excellent fabrication skills so I'll let you figure out how to bolt in some oem spec shocks.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Great link for the tabs. Thanks!
That's interesting about the same part numbers. The spindles and brake lines carry over as the same part numbers, but for some reason the UCA's and shocks don't. Hmmm... I'll figure this out. I'll be sure to share here if I come up with anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM

To anyone interested in modifying the front lower shock mount on a 2009 and up 2wd Ram, you need something called a Bar Pin Eliminator. (Search online and you will find them.) They will allow you more variety in shock applications. It looks like they may come in different lengths for certain applications. (Nothing specifically listed for the Ram.) Some indicate they fit certain years of vehicles, but not others. So... It looks like you need to simply measure your application, and figure out which of these Bar Pin Eliminators match your size. Simple enough.

Additional information I have found... There is also some called "Bar Pin Adapters" which have a 1/2" pin so you can add performance shocks with a spherical bearing and misalighnment spacers. (Fox, King, etc.) It appears the "Eliminators" come with a 3/4" pin so you can only run shocks with standard bushings.