DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
clintsharley is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 outdoorsman..... No Brakes!!!

Was reading the forum, which I do often and decided to post my problem, will actually dodge's problem with my ram! The wife was driving the babysitter home a couple of days ago, and on the way down over one of the major hills where we live, she lost all of the brakes on the truck. Zero brakes, pedal felt normal she said. But the truck would not stop, nor slow down, the rear of the truck shook real bad, The wife thinking quickly placed the truck down in the first gear. it slowed enough for her to pull into a driveway on the right side of the road and put the truck into a snow pile. Before she had a chance to get out of the truck, a guy driving behind her came to see if she was ok.. He also could see from behind that the truck was shaking badly and commented that the truck was going faster with the brake lights on. In her excitement, she turned the truck off. the guy decided to try and back the truck out of the snow pile for her. Started the engine, and brakes worked fine. She then drove the truck back home to me. I drove the truck for about 35 minutes, the truck worked fine, and then on my way back home, the brakes failed again, I let the truck roll to a stop, and decided to drive again, and try the brakes.. nothing working.. the truck kept rolling. I let it roll to a stop again, shut the truck off. Restarted the engine.. brakes worked fine. The truck is now at the dealership.. and they can not find the problem, they have road tested the truck.. everything seems fine.. Only other note with the truck is that for the last few days there have been a burning smell in the cab.. Will keep you guys informed on what is happening with the truck!
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1845
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Was the pedal falling to the floor when the brakes failed?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

no.. the brake pedal felt normal actually.. kinda hoping that it would of went to the floor...my opinion or thoughts are, that for some reason there may be moisture in the brake lines.. water or something of the such that may of froze.. it was very cold at the time.. No word from the dealer as of yet..
Old 01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500
Trim Level: stx outdoorsman
driggy is on a distinguished road

I got an Outdoorsman and first thought I had was Trailer brake controller, though not sure how it could cause it. Makes me a bit nervous now. How many miles on yours?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

sorry for the slow response... the truck has 4750 klms (2950 miles.) The truck is still at the dealer, they road tested, and put the truck into the garage, did a complete check of the mechanical brake system, and have found nothing wrong.. The garage tomorrow is going to look into the electronics...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500
Color: deep water blue
mrroader14 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your problem, hard to have piece of mind with that issue, if they have checked all the mechanical aspects and found nothing, like a pinched line or no water in system. There are so many new fangle electronics on these trucks, its kinda unexplored territory I suppose. I bought the extended warranty just for that reason. Hope they solve your issue
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

as of today, they have not solved the issue.. the engineering department is now working on the problem. They are calling it an "event." Basically saying that the computer system can not determine if the truck wants to stop, or if the truck needs to gain traction. It only happens on snow covered or slippery streets or roads, and not all the time. It also only happens when the truck is in 4wd. I have experienced it 3 times in the last week or so.. I have the truck, driving it mostly in 2wd, and only using 4wd when absolutely necessary. This issue really sucks.. for a lack of a better word. But i will say that the dealership is good to deal with.. Now it is a waiting game until they figure out the problem and correct it..
Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1845
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If engineering is involved, it must be a pretty damn hard to hunt down. In the last 3 years, I've only had engineering involved in one diagnostic case.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
erm

WOW! I hope they figure this out for you.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 3500 DRW Crew Cab RAM
Trim Level: Farmers Package
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:28
x96mnn is on a distinguished road

Clint

Any update on what took place?