DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
lwalper is on a distinguished road
Default Ruptured Brake Line

It looks like the main brake line running from the front to rear of the truck ('99 Ram 1500 4x4) has ruptured. There is brake fluid sprayed on the gas tank and on the ground about 8 inches ahead of the left rear wheel. There is no fluid in the area of the wheels or flexible rubber lines of course not, that would be too easy.

How much trouble is it to replace the line? It looks like at least the fuel tank will need to be dropped since the brake line runs along in the frame and the tank is jammed right up against the frame no access to the brake line as it is and I just filled up (now I've got to figure out what to do with 20 gallons of gas).
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If you can snake a line in behind the tank, there's no need to drop it. I've done a few like that and only had to make a couple of bends and flares to do it. If you aren't familiar with flaring brake lines, this link might be useful to you. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....hlight=flaring
Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:147
SnowChief will become famous soon enoughSnowChief will become famous soon enough

If you need to replace the brake line, can you improvise where the new line runs so you do not need to remove the tank? Can you run the line right next to the tank and attach to frame or other truck parts?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Replacing it with stock lines can be a royal PITA because they're usually in one piece and stiff.

However, you can get steel braided tubing that is flexible and a piece of cake to put in. You just need to know the fitting size for both ends and make sure you have your length right. I'm not sure if it costs more than stock though.

How about stopping by our Newbie area and introducing yourself.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks all!! I was looking at a coil of brake line - not really very much $$ — $25-30. That would probably be the easiest path — just slide it down the C-channel and hook it up.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I guess the next question is, which line is it? It looks like there are two lines running parallel to each other under the cab, then they disappear behind the gas tank under the bed. One is small (1/8 inch or so) and the other is larger (maybe 1/4 inch). I suppose it's the smaller line — what's the big one for?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

1/8" is the brake line. The larger line is either fuel or emissions.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: PRV
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Alfisto Steve is on a distinguished road

Welcoming myself to the ruptured brake line club. Seems like the brake line hidden along side the gas tank on my 2000 Ram 1500 let go on me yesterday. Lucky me no accident or cross traffic as I came slowly to a stop sign about two blocks from my house when line let go and pedal went to the floor.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Welcoming myself to the ruptured brake line club. Seems like the brake line hidden along side the gas tank on my 2000 Ram 1500 let go on me yesterday. Lucky me no accident or cross traffic as I came slowly to a stop sign about two blocks from my house when line let go and pedal went to the floor.
Don't forget, in situations like this you do have a mechanical ebrake that will work regardless of hydraulic brake failure, just apply it as slowly as possible to avoid lockup and loss of control. Beats driving off a cliff, so to speak.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-