DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4wd Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
extramile is on a distinguished road
Default Flat Tire Because of Corroded Nut

Well yesterday I was driving down the road and my truck started leaning to the left, like in a big hurry. Got it off the road to the shoulder right away before I wrecked the rim. When I got out and checked it out I found the nut that holds the valve stem to the rim was split in three therefore allowing the valve stem to move around thus a flat tire. Could of put the spare on myself but called the Dodge Roadside assistance number and they sent a local guy out to change the tire. He told me this is a reoccuring problem on the Dodge Pickups with these 20inch Chrome Clad Rims. It looks like the nut corroded then just split. Now, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to do battle, tire isnt wrecked but has a white scrape all the way around the sidewall where the rim rubbed it and took the black off the tire. The tire does have a couple signs of indentation on it also but I got it stopped before the tire was totally wrecked. What can I expect ??????? I am in Canada, truck is a year and a half old with 30,000km (18,600 miles).
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

It's most definately a common problem but not just with Dodge. These things are made from aluminum and corrode very easily. The sensor should be covered under warranty. Have them inspect the rest of them for a similar problem. the good news is that this design is falling by the wayside and a design with rubber stems is being phased in but I don't know when they will be incorporated into the ram line.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm wondering what they are going to do about the tire. I believe its not good enough to go back on but even if I swindle a new tire out of them I can't put 1 new tire on with with 3 others that have 18,000 miles on them. The way I see it it's not my problem so if they can't match a tire to the 3 good ones I have they are gonna have to put 2 new ones on to match.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by extramile View Post
I'm wondering what they are going to do about the tire. I believe its not good enough to go back on but even if I swindle a new tire out of them I can't put 1 new tire on with with 3 others that have 18,000 miles on them. The way I see it it's not my problem so if they can't match a tire to the 3 good ones I have they are gonna have to put 2 new ones on to match.
I can just about guarantee that won't happen.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

just my 2 cents

they could put a new tire on your right rear, it shouldn't cause any problems
they shouldn't put it on the front, until it gets a little wear
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I will post tomorrow afternoon what the outcome is. I know its hard for you guys to guess what they will do without seeing the tire.
I think....................they are either going to try to put my tire back on with the white stripe around the sidewall or find a used one with the same amount of tread to match my other 3. It will be a fight if they try to put my old tire back on with that ugly white "flat made whitewall".
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
erm

Glad to see you got over to the side before things got bad.

I don't think they will get a new tire. They may try to clean this one up or find a used equivalent.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I highly recommend going in calm and calmly explain what happened to the service advisor and see what they want to do.

I can guaranty if you go in looking for a fight, you'll get one.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm back from the dealership and have good news. The dealer relayed the news to me that Dodge gave them the ok to put a brand new tire on to replace the one that has sidewall markings. They told me that they have not seen any problems with the TPMS sensor or the nut that corroded on mine but whatever. I assume there has been issues or Dodge would not as freely give up a new tire. Anyways, I'm greatful to the dealership and their people for pushing it through for me. This dealer isn't my local dealer but I drive farther to get to this dealer because they always treat me right.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Congrats, I'm glad it worked out for you.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"