DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
AustinPower is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny, Diff, and transfer case fluid change questions.

Hi Everyone, new to the forums. Great site! I bought a 2007 4.7L 4x4 Ram last week with 82k miles for $13,000. So far, I've changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs(surprisingly easy), and air filter. My next items to replace are the front differntial fluid, drop the tranny pan, change the filters, refill, change the tranfer case fluid, and then finally want to change the rear differential fluid. I have a few questions. Sorry for all the questions, so I'll at least try an organize them.

Transmission: I don't plan on doing a flush. I just want to drop the pan, change the filters, clean magnet, and refill. I'll be refilling with Mopar ATF+4.
Questions:
1. I'm assuming a little less than half the fluid is changed. Can I expect about 7-8 quarts to be changed?
2. What is the torque spec for the bolts when I re-install them?
3. I was planning on using Mopar ATV for the gasket, but I really don't like the idea of using RTV. The Mopar ATV doesn't even give instructions on the cure time! AdvancedAuto has a rubber gasket, but not sure if I trust that either. Any suggestions? Where can I get a reliable gasket? If I need to go with RTV, what brand do you recommend? I see Permatex has a "Automatic Transmission RTV Gasket Maker.

Transfer Case:
Seems pretty straight forward. I plan on refilling with Mopar ATF+4. I think 2 quarts should suffice. For the drain and refill bolts, I just plan on securing snuggly.

Front differential:
Questions:
1. Can I use any synthetic high quality 75w-90 lubricant? I'm thinking of using Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube
LS 75W-90.
2. How much 75w-90 lubricant do I need to buy? (volume amount)
3. What is the torqe spec for the bolts? A youtube video says it's 16.5ft-lbs. Is this correct?
4. I plan on using Permatex Ultra Black for the gasket. Is this ok or should I use the Permatec High-Temp Red?

Rear differntial:
I don't know if I have the LSD, so I guess I'll have the dealer pull my VIN number and tell me.
Questions:
1. For now I'm going to assume I have a LSD. Can I use this fluid? Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-140
2. If I use the Mobil 1 gear lube, do I still need to add additive(40oz)?
3. How much 75w-140 lubricant do I need to buy? (volume amount)
4. What is the torque spec for the bolts? A youtube video says it's 30 ft-lbs. Is this correct?
5. Again, I'm not sure what type of Permatex gasket I should use. Suggestions please.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I get it right, especially the transmission pan drop.

Thanks...I'm SO CONFUSED!
--Efren
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
AustinPower is on a distinguished road

Just verified through the Dodge BuiltSheet site that I have a limited slip rear differential, aka Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle. For those of you who don't know, you can create a build sheet for your car here:

http://m.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/index.html

Look under "Your Vehicle" and "Equipement Listing."
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

How much fluid you get out depends on how long you let it drain. With the filters out, the oil will drain slowly from the converter, so the longer you leave it, the more you get out. I've found that 7-1/2 quarts is pretty typical. But you can just measure how much you drain out, then add that much back in.

The trans oil pan bolt torque spec is 12 Nm (105 in-lbs). Yes, you can re-use them.

Usually RTV works well to seal the pan. Run a thin, even bead of RTV around the INSIDE of the bolt holes, and keep the RTV on the main (flat) pan sealing surface (not running over onto the radius at the edge of the pan face). If you get a rubber gasket, make sure it has torque limiters (washers) at the bolt holes so you don't over-crush the gasket when you tighten the bolts.