DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
bucholj is on a distinguished road
Question Question for Northerners

This has been a miserable year for us in North Dakota and it seems like the roads are never completely clear of snow where I am at. This question is for the others who deal with a good amount of snow each winter. Do you guys find yourself staying in 4WD Auto most of the time during the winter? I am still a little sketchy on the whole “auto” mode, it seems to work good almost too good. I guess my bottom line question is will I damage my truck leaving it in 4wd Auto as much as I do?
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport QC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Premium
Color: White
Rep:85
2011Ram will become famous soon enough

Shouldn't hurt it. Sometimes I have been on winter roads crossing muskeg and my truck will stay in 4WD high for months on end even at highway speeds. Sucks fuel of course though. When I was doing seismic it never came out of 4WD until spring unless I actually got to go home on some nice dry pavement.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is my understanding of how "auto" 4WD works.

It's not a true 4WD system. It's more of a limited slip type of thing between the front and rear wheels, where when the rear wheels start to slip, then the front will kick in to help pick up the slack so to speak. Where with a true 4WD system, the front and rear wheels are locked in constantly.

That being said, you could conceivably run your truck in "auto" mode always and not worry about damage anything by running it where the need for "normal" 4WD might do some damage.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport QC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Premium
Rep:85
2011Ram will become famous soon enough

For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode
can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but
the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel
drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle
senses a loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged,
this mode will result in lower fuel economy than
the 2WD mode.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:567
HerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to all

hmmmm that's a great question...I don't think I have the 4wd 'auto - mode' but my Ford had it and it was great and NEVER did any damage.
I wish my truck now had it because I find myself locking it into 4wd to get going from a stop sign.
it is desgined for exactly this reason...to kick it in when you need it and that it will turn off when you don't so you don't always have to be locking into 4wd. I guess it would help with fuel consumption as well. It really is a great option to have.
PINK FUZZY DICE!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Rayne will become famous soon enough

We have snow on the ground for usually 5 months of the year where I live. That being said, I switch in and out of Auto depending on the road conditions. They plow the streets usually within a few days of big snow falls and if there is a more than a few inches of snow on the ground I throw it in Auto to gain the extra traction. Once they plow the roads clear and its just hard pack snow or ice, I switch back to 2WD to save fuel.
Recon 3rd Brake Light & Spyder Tails | AVS Vents | OEM Flares
WeatherTech Floorliners & ClearCovers | Black Honeycomb Grill
Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
erm

You will not damage your transmission other components by being in Auto for extended periods.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 3500 DRW Crew Cab RAM
Trim Level: Farmers Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:28
x96mnn is on a distinguished road

Excoastie is bang on.

The system you have is limited so it only kicks in when needed. You will even find less of a fuel difference then I would as I only have 4hi and 4 low. You would be able to put it on four auto 365 days a year, some of the rigs out there actually have it as its only option. Most Utility cross overs who state all wheel drive use a similar set up, the one you have just happens to be the same used in the JEEP
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Bighorn
Rep:26
bucholj is on a distinguished road

I truly appreciate all the replies and they have helped put my mind at ease. I ended up putting almost 300 miles on my truck today running back and forth between two cities. On the highway I just ran in 2WD as they were fairly clear and when I hit the city limit I switched to 4WD auto to make things easier dealing with the messy intersections etc.
I am really digging this 4WD Auto.

Thanks Again!

P.S. as an added bonus today the UPS man delivered my Go Rhino Nerf Steps, Will be installing those tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

4WD Auto is great, so glad that I have it on mine. Re, Rhino Nerf Steps. Congrats on the purchase and don't forget to post up some pics during and after the install.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.