DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Silver
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
GMV is on a distinguished road
Default Recirc door has a mind of its own.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad cab 4X4
I have been having an issue with the a/c not blowing as cold as it used to. There is plenty of r134a. I am also having an issue with the recirc door. If i put it on defrost, the door opens the vent. Then when I switch back to normal a/c, 5 or 10 seconds later it closes the vent and goes to the recirc position. The motor is fine and the door is not broken. I took out the glove box and watched it move. It moves back and forth fine, and seals good. Air blows out all the proper vents as I go through all the positions on the dial.
Not sure if there may be a problem with the a/c control itself. I would hate to buy one and that not be the problem. (I have done the "throw parts at it" routine too many times in the past)

I am at a loss here. I have been researching this particular problem and have come up with nothing. Any advice where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

GMV
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Is the condenser fan working properly?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yes, the fan is working just fine.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

What are they high and low side pressures and at what ambient temp?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I want to say that the low side was about 50 - 55 psi at about 85 ambient. Of course thats after the truck had been on the road for a while and warmed up well. As for the high side, I dont know. I dont have a set of guages, yet.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:29 AM

Your low side pressure is too high. it shouldn't be over 40 psi at 90 degrees. The high side pressure will tell you where to start looking.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I dropped the pressure as recommended. Didn't help with the cooling or the recirc door. I removed the blower, and was just barely able to reach the evaporator coil. It was pretty nasty. I removed the rectangular "sensor" from underneath, and was able to get a small stiff brisle nylon brush in there and clean some of it. I put the sensor back, and sprayed foaming engine degreaser on as much of the coil as I could reach through the fan hole. After letting it sit for a few minutes, I used a water hose with a spray head, and cleaned it off. I put the fan back, and now it cools a bit better, and the recirc door seems to operate properly. After running the truck for another week, I will see if the door still acts right.