DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough
Default Threw code on 06 4.7 15 miles from dealership

So I left the dealership last night with my new-to-me 2006 Ram quad 4.7L. I should mention that when I test drove the truck, the check engine light came on as soon as I pulled out of the lot but immediately went back off. I probably drove the truck over 100 miles before I bought it and it never came back on. I contributed it to the truck setting on the lot. So last night about 15 miles from the dealership it comes back on. I took it to the local auto parts store and he read the code. I can't remember the exact code or description but it was something about the left bank being too lean. I'm going to have it checked again, write down the code, and reset to see if it comes back. It's also going back to the dealership for them to "fix" it later today.

I'll post back with the exact code soon and also keep updated on my service from this dealer (Kernersville Chrysler Jeep Dodge, Kernersville, NC).
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If the left bank is lean, you should have a P0171 in the PCM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 AM

starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

I didn't even think about writing down the code last night. It may very well be that. I'm going to have it checked again here in a hour or so and I'll post back. Any thoughts? The guy at Advance Auto said it could be a lot of things but mentioned a possible dirty or weak injector. A bottle of injector cleaner is cheap enough. Worth trying?

Also, do you think it's okay to have them clear the code to see if it comes back on during the 50 mile trip to the dealership? As long as I write the code down to give to the service techs.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

No, don't have them clear the code because you'll also be erasing stored freeze frame data that contains info that may help diagnose the problem. Many of todays fuels contain ethanol (also found in many fuel cleaners and additives) and this could add to the problem because ethanol will lean out the fuel system even more.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM

Okay, so don't clear the code and hold off on the injector cleaner. I'll still post the exact code when I get it. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Just got back from lunch and rechecking code. It's actually P2098. The tech told me that it read "fuel trim bank 2 too lean". I looked that code up and got "Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Low Limit" which I guess is the same thing.

Any thoughts as to likely causes? I'm a little worried about how hard the dealer will try to fix it considering any money they spend on it is money they are losing. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM

The dealership doesn't lose money on warranty repairs, they're paid by Chrysler for performing the work. Below are the when monitored and set conditions for this particular code.
  • When Monitored: With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery temperature above -6.7 C (20 F) and altitude below 2590.8 m (8500 ft). Fuel level greater than 15%.
  • Set Condition: The conditions that cause this diagnostic to fail is when the upstream O2 sensor becomes biased from an exhaust leak, O2 sensor contamination, or some other extreme operating condition. The downstream O2 sensor is considered to be protected from extreme environments by the catalyst. The PCM monitors the downstream O2 sensor feedback control, called downstream fuel trim, to detect any shift in the upstream O2 sensor target voltage from nominal target voltage. The value of the downstream fuel trim is compared with the lean thresholds. Every time the value exceeds the calibrated threshold, a fail timer is incremented and mass flow through the exhaust is accumulated. If the fail timer and accumulated mass flow exceed the fail thresholds, the test fails and the diagnostic stops running for that trip. If the test fails on consecutive trips, a DTC is set.
Here are the possible causes:

EXHAUST LEAK
FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

If you're still within your powertrain warranty, the repair should be fully covered. If not, the extended federal emissions warranty will only cover the PCM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look at the documents when I get home but I think it says that the only systems covered are "internally lubricated systems--engine, transmission, and drivetrain". They have been really good with everything so far so I have no reason to think otherwise but I am still a little worried.

Out of sheer curiousity...this is a way out there thought.....the truck was a one-owner truck prior to me buying it and I happen to know that the previous owner was apparently a long-distance truck driver. I have read that fuel contaminants could cause this code. Any chance that I am seeing the leftover issues from a gas truck that received some diesel fuel?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Received a call from dealership today saying that my truck is ready. He told me it was an O2 sensor going bad and they replaced it. I probably won't get to pick it up until after I get off work today so I'll update later.

As a sidenote, I have to say so far I have nothing but good to say about this dealership. Everyone there has been very helpful and polite whenever I've called.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Went and got truck back last night and so far (crosses fingers) no CEL. And no charge by the dealer. And strangely enough, my tach worked fine all the way home. I knew it was messed up when I bought the truck and the salesman told me that this part of the truck was as-is and they were not planning to fix it. Whether it's just odd luck or they fixed it I don't know. Oh well, not complaining!!