DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: none (yet!)
Rep:10
jokkling is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
You also have to factor in aerodynamics. Suspension lift + larger tires and wheels means you're sitting higher. Thus, creating more drag. At the end of the day I laugh when people complain about their mpg in a truck. It's a heavy vehicle with a big engine! Who cares what the mpg is!
Well I do complain because I live in Sweden and we pay about twice the price you pay for our fuel. But I'm not stupid (doh!), I realize all trucks uses a lot of fuel, that's not why i brought this up. I'm just curious if people actually did any serious mpg-calculations. Just for knowledge.
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:299
KennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the roughKennyPowers is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokkling View Post
Well I do complain because I live in Sweden and we pay about twice the price you pay for our fuel. But I'm not stupid (doh!), I realize all trucks uses a lot of fuel, that's not why i brought this up. I'm just curious if people actually did any serious mpg-calculations. Just for knowledge.
No problem. Please note, that statement wasn't directed towards you. It was just a general observation.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
No problem. Please note, that statement wasn't directed towards you. It was just a general observation.
No worries, man. I totally get your point and I kind of agree with you.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with the both of you guys as well. If you buy a big truck and want to modify it then the last thing you should worry about is your MPG. I can totally understand if you are in Europe since the price is much more for PETROL!
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Jack Nasty is on a distinguished road

I had an '04 with 33's on it and by the odometer it calculated at 14 or so. I never had the computer reset for the difference in tire size, so I checked my speed with my handheld GPS and it showed my speedometer off by approx. 10%. Speedometer reading 50, GPS showed 55, Speedometer reading 70, GPS showed 77. Therefore I was traveling 10% further than the odometer showed. I would just factor this into my mileage calculations, which obviously put me about 15 to 15.5 mpg. Same situation with my '10, came out at 16 or so, then I adjusted the tire size with my new predator and it calculates out straight at 16 or so.
Never checked either with factory tires, but I'm sure it would have better.
Larger tires will load the engine a little more = less mpg. I could really feel it in the '04 (4.7), not so much with the '10 (5.7).
Tony
Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Nasty View Post
I had an '04 with 33's on it and by the odometer it calculated at 14 or so. I never had the computer reset for the difference in tire size, so I checked my speed with my handheld GPS and it showed my speedometer off by approx. 10%. Speedometer reading 50, GPS showed 55, Speedometer reading 70, GPS showed 77. Therefore I was traveling 10% further than the odometer showed. I would just factor this into my mileage calculations, which obviously put me about 15 to 15.5 mpg. Same situation with my '10, came out at 16 or so, then I adjusted the tire size with my new predator and it calculates out straight at 16 or so.
Never checked either with factory tires, but I'm sure it would have better.
Larger tires will load the engine a little more = less mpg. I could really feel it in the '04 (4.7), not so much with the '10 (5.7).
Tony
That's exactly what I'm talking about, you get an actual milage somewhere in between the stock and what you get without compensating your calculations for bigger tires. The conclusion is, in my opinion, that you get a lower milage with bigger tires, but not as bad as many think.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPak07 View Post
I have to agree with the both of you guys as well. If you buy a big truck and want to modify it then the last thing you should worry about is your MPG. I can totally understand if you are in Europe since the price is much more for PETROL!
Yeah, tell me about it. Today I payed $2.16 per liter. That's 58 cent per gallon (If google is right converting it for me). But I still don't want to drive around in some Nissan Micra. I want a bad ass American truck!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: ST
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
bkemdano is on a distinguished road

The two things all men lie about. Sex & gas mileage.
When you correct the trucks ECU with the updated tire size, your odometer and speedometer will read correctly. If you then travel the same roads at the same speeds I'm sure you will find you do Not get better mileage. I'm positive it will be worse to some degree, but I do understand your point.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:80
white4x4 will become famous soon enough

I was running some 35's on my truck with a 6" lift and I was driving around in tow/haul an I was getting 14.8 according to the computer and I drive about 60 miles a day up and down hills and going between 25- 65 mph and it was constant like that until I got some 37's. That's just my .02 tho, i have 3.55 gears and it never down shifted going up any hills so I think that's maybe a reason why my mpg is a little better
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by white4x4 View Post
I was running some 35's on my truck with a 6" lift and I was driving around in tow/haul an I was getting 14.8 according to the computer and I drive about 60 miles a day up and down hills and going between 25- 65 mph and it was constant like that until I got some 37's. That's just my .02 tho, i have 3.55 gears and it never down shifted going up any hills so I think that's maybe a reason why my mpg is a little better
What are you getting now with the 37's
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!