DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Huskeram is on a distinguished road
Default Local or order?

Hey guys. I have a Red 2002 1500 QC with 17" rims. Tires need to be replaced, and I am wondering what you guys think about ordering tires from TireRack, TireBuyer, DiscountTire, etc. I have never ordered tires and just wondering what your experiences have been. My guess is: buy local unless I can save enough by ordering? Other than maybe cost - is there any other benefit to ordering?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

That's my take. I prefer my money stay local unless the saving are big. Typically the online prices look very attractive until you see what it costs to ship these items.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

If I stay local (preferred) ... is there much difference between picking up tires at, say, Walmart, Sams Club or Sears vs going to a tire shop (ie: Graham Tire, TO Haas, or Walker Tire in Lincoln, NE)?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

There can be. I can't speak for all brands but a Michelin rep once told me that their brand is a different tire (lower quality) when you get it from Wal-mart vs. an independant Michelin dealer, hence the lower price.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Interesting. I don't know how much truth there is in it, but I have heard the same thing for shoes. Interesting link ... people shoes and vehicle "shoes". Does anybody out there know if this is true? Can you share how you know?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i would go to a actual tire shop rather than walmart
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: '03 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:44
Rammin is on a distinguished road

Little story for you. I used to work for a major sporting goods retailer and the little ski shops around us (Colorado) would tell their customers not to shop with us because our skis were knock-offs of the big ski manufacturers because our prices were so much lower.

In fact our prices were lower because we could buy more from the major ski companies because our company was so big (2nd largest in the U.S.). The companies like K2/Volkl/Salomon etc would discount our cost so that we were able to make a better "sale" price for the customer. Thus this led to small mom and pop shops around town telling customers that our skis were just a laminate on top of a general ski.

I feel the same way about tires. I've purchased tires everywhere and prefer to do so locally but that's not always the case. I would stay away from Walmart too but only because it's Walmart.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
erm

Buying locally is always good business. My specific experience with tire buying is that the local stores sometimes offer free rotations and balancing as long as you have the tires. Some will even fix flats for free.

I just think supporting your local economy makes sense and becoming a regular customer at a local business will include some nice perks that you normally would not get by ordering online. I know what I would feel like if some guy walked into my shop and wanted me to mount and balance a set of tires he bought online. He probably wouldn't get much after the sale service.

Tire Rack does have authorized installers in a lot of areas so check that out on their website to see who's close to you.

And that's my .02
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: 08 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Electric Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
USMCRONIN1 will become famous soon enoughUSMCRONIN1 will become famous soon enough

I've ordered online from TireRack, and to be honest, the cost of shipping pretty much ate up any savings that I got from buying them there. Next set will be purchased locally for sure.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for all the replies. You guys confirmed what I was thinking as well.