DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 07 Hemi Ram QCSB 4x4
Trim Level: laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:21
azzo540 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to azzo540

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
The best? what compressor maps were you looking at or this a personal choice statement? I myself have been running a Roush TVS blower at 10 psi for 3 years but I will concede if the debate comes up that the Eaton roots TVS design; while very good, is not the best. the maggies have come a long way since they jumped on the Eaton TVS rotor band wagon but it still isn't the most effiecient design. and yes, I do realize this is kinda a moot point with the really low boost levels we are talking here b/c there isn't a s/c out there that produces any significant heat at the low boost levels you've planned.

I think his point about $14k for a supercharger that is only gonna be pullied for 6-8 psi (400-425rwhp) is A LOT of money. and you haven't even touch the transmission yet. a sic STS turbo kit would've come in way less than that.

I'll apologize ahead if you think I'm attacking you but I'm not...I guess someone has to break the ground sometimes to find out what works or to retrofit something. Let us know when it done tuning and what you end up with. Reps points for perseverance.
i under stand your point the plan was to pay 6800 and do it myself. and i prefer superchargers over turbo for torque and imo procharger is turbo atached by drive belt with same tubing. maggie's look clean.
14k is redickuolous i know that suck fin balls
but i will be one of a kind til maggie make a direct fit that i thought i was buying. i hate catalog miss prints

and thanks for the input
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

yeah man. hope you're up and burning thru tires soon!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM

hopefully traction ctrl will save some of them.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram "Demon"
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Graphite
Rep:13
skwurlz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
The best? what compressor maps were you looking at or this a personal choice statement? I myself have been running a Roush TVS blower at 10 psi for 3 years but I will concede if the debate comes up that the Eaton roots TVS design; while very good, is not the best. the maggies have come a long way since they jumped on the Eaton TVS rotor band wagon but it still isn't the most effiecient design. and yes, I do realize this is kinda a moot point with the really low boost levels we are talking here b/c there isn't a s/c out there that produces any significant heat at the low boost levels you've planned.
Pretty sure Magnuson was one of the first to use the TVS Blower, outside the OEM's.

Centrifugals are no where near as efficient as the TVS or the Screw blowers.

If you look at the blower maps for all types, the TVS 2300 keeps the engine in the peak efficency sphere a hell of a lot longer than a Procharger/Vortech/Rotrex....

Anyways, if there was a 1900 TVS bolt on kit for the 5.7L ram trucks from 03-08...... ..
Old 06-29-2011, 06:14 PM

CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwurlz View Post
Pretty sure Magnuson was one of the first to use the TVS Blower, outside the OEM's.

Centrifugals are no where near as efficient as the TVS or the Screw blowers.
I can't find in my post where I compared a centrifugal to a roots. you do realize we are only talking about 6-8 psi here? at that boost level there is very little difference b/t all the s/c kits out there. funny you mention a twin screw b/c I will agree that they are the most efficient once you hit about 14 psi and above. below that and they are on par with the tvs. I wanted to buy a Whipple or KB when I was replacing my M90 but it just wasn't cost effective when compared to the swap with the TVS.

If you look at the blower maps for all types, the TVS 2300 keeps the engine in the peak efficency sphere a hell of a lot longer than a Procharger/Vortech/Rotrex....
I don't have any compressor maps for the procharger or vortech...can you post the ones you have. I do have the tvs and t/s ones already so don't worry about those.
I didn't even know people still bought Rotrex.....are they in business?

Anyways, if there was a 1900 TVS bolt on kit for the 5.7L ram trucks from 03-08...... ..

Are you saying "if there was" or did you mean there was a kit because funny I don't see that kit listed on their website and I couldn't find it with google. Can you post a link for that too? There might be others here interested in that kit rather than retrofitting the 2.3L kit. Anyways a 1.9L s/c is a joke. It can't move enough air for a 5.7 and if you try to spin it where it will it'll be all heat negating gains.

I'm also not sure why you choose to only copy part of my post. I was not trying to attack his build or what he is trying to accomplish. And I finished with that statement. It sucks that there was a typo when he bought the maggie kit thinking it would fit his truck. Thanks for the info and links.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram "Demon"
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Graphite
Rep:13
skwurlz is on a distinguished road

Easy there no reason to get your panties all twisted. I only quoted the part of your reply that was relevant to the discussion. That roush kit you bought for your mustang, pretty sure roush didn't engineer that completely in house.

As for the compressor maps on the vortech and the Paxton, they are available online. Your a smart cookie, I'm positive you know how to use google.

Anyways, the 2300 is designed for the larger displacment engines, 6.0 and above. The LS9 and the CTS-V both use the 1900. It remains in its optimum operating range longer than a 2300.

As for your argument regarding heat, its redundant with the intercooler. On an application such as the 5.7 hemi, you would come on boost and work the blower in its "rpm band" better with a 1900.

As for a 1900 kit, it doesn't exist. Too many consumers are stuck on the notion that bigger is better. It would be, if you had heads cam longtubes pistons rods, etc.

Anyways, I'm stocked azzo got his setup working, I'm just curious if he has a parts list for what he had to convert.... May need go order up a kit.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 07 Flame Red QC
Trim Level: Sport-R/T
Color: Flame Red
Rep:51
raceram9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzo540 View Post
i under stand your point the plan was to pay 6800 and do it myself. and i prefer superchargers over turbo for torque and imo procharger is turbo atached by drive belt with same tubing. maggie's look clean.
14k is redickuolous i know that suck fin balls
but i will be one of a kind til maggie make a direct fit that i thought i was buying. i hate catalog miss prints

and thanks for the input
I understand what your saying and yes it is now one of a kind,when Shophemi posted this kit up on FB I was the first to ask will it fit a 06-08 they called Magnuson and answered "NO" within a few Hrs and said they were working on one to do so but haven't seen anything yet, but it on and hope it works out well for you post some pics when you get a chance
2007 RAM QC FLAME RED,20s, 3.92 rear Vararam CAI, Cherrybomb vortex mufflers dumped out in front of rear tires, Superchips Cortex, R/T badges on grill and tailgate custom designed stripes and hood vinyl.....and more to come
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwurlz View Post
Easy there no reason to get your panties all twisted. I only quoted the part of your reply that was relevant to the discussion. That roush kit you bought for your mustang, pretty sure roush didn't engineer that completely in house.
I just don't appreciate when someone says that I said something I didn't say/type. Like the above comment...never said Roush engineered anything. They do machine the s/c housings in house but they buy the TVS rotors from Eaton.

As for the compressor maps on the vortech and the Paxton, they are available online. Your a smart cookie, I'm positive you know how to use google.
I've never been called smart before. Guess that's what I get for just sqeeking by. I looked a little but couldn't find them. I only have the others from when I was researching which blower to buy. I guess you don't have them either.

Anyways, the 2300 is designed for the larger displacment engines, 6.0 and above. The LS9 and the CTS-V both use the 1900. It remains in its optimum operating range longer than a 2300.
I agree the CTS-V uses the 1.9 but the LS9 uses the 2.3. As for the 2300 being designed for larger engines 6.0 and above that's just flat out not true. I can show many dyno graphs of the TVS2300 on the GT500 (5.4L) and that engine maxes that blower out at 17psi. I've been researching (aka saving) for my build for about a year now and even my 5.0 will max out the TVS. I've tried to read everything so that I can do this build once and do it right. Kenne Bell is always trying to show up the TVS with his new 2.8L and 3.6L kits with dyno comparisons and that they are better but it doesn't happen until the upper teens of psi. did you know that KB blower housings can now be optioned with liquid cooling? that's in conjunction with the intercooling too. Pretty cool if you ask me.

As for your argument regarding heat, its redundant with the intercooler. On an application such as the 5.7 hemi, you would come on boost and work the blower in its "rpm band" better with a 1900.
Both are true up to a certain point. I found this out the hard way in my quest for more power after 3 different pulley combos and 2 different intercoolers. Even using the biggest AFCO unit I could mount it couldn't cool the M90 IATs once it was spun to 10-11psi. The boost did come on instantly which was awesome but heat soak would set in rather quickly. Swapping over to the TVS 2.3 at the same 10 psi dropped my IATs b/c the blower is hardly breaking a sweat. Plus, the TVS was moving more air and my rwhp jumped from 417 to 490.

As for a 1900 kit, it doesn't exist. Too many consumers are stuck on the notion that bigger is better. It would be, if you had heads cam longtubes pistons rods, etc.
How efficient do you think the 1900 would be at 15psi?

Anyways, I'm stocked azzo got his setup working, I'm just curious if he has a parts list for what he had to convert.... May need go order up a kit.
I think he said he is working on a parts list and all that is needed. You might be able to find some of the brackets and accessories cheaper too as you'd have time to shop around and build your kit up over time. Maybe if enough people call/ask magnuson will build a gen III kit...or maybe they don't think there is a market there.

On another note. Why is it our trucks have such a small aftermarket following when compared to Ford and Chevy? Kinda disappointing...
Anyway, thanks for the debate/thoughts and good luck with your build.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 AM

i am not going to multi quote yall and piece it together.
1st i saw the kit on magnuson's catalog long before shophemi sold it to me
2nd the part number maggie had said it would fir 06-11. and i assumed it was true
3rd the part numbers match and i spent alot based on my assumption
4th the maggie comes with a water intercooler

i would have done it any way

i do have a full parts list of every bolt and adapter they bought from mopar to include the efan from flex ilite or w/e ther name is
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab TRX
Trim Level: TRX
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
NolaRam is on a distinguished road

how many folks on this forum are actually running one of these things?