DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Unless your locked into a trans from ATS, I would consider other venders first. I've read more than one horror story about their customer service and people having problems with their warranty. Most of these negative comments were on diesel sites. It seems that the preferred trans company is Goerend. I don't know if they make a gasser trans however. This is all second hand info and I don't have any first hand knowledge.
Jay
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram "Demon"
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Graphite
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
skwurlz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
I know the law but only if it were that easy. What I've seen happen is someone brings in a mod'd vehicle and the dealership says that becuase you did this mod the warranty is voided and we aren't going to cover it.

What do you do at this point? Once they turn you away how do you get them to work on your truck? Now it's on you to prove to them that your mod wasn't the cause and that they should honor the warranty. do you really think they are going to run tests and spend money to prove to you that a mod was the cause. No, all they have to say is no we aren't doing the work and then the ball is basically in your court.

I really hope it works out for you. I've been amazed at some of the leniency of some dealerships from stories I've seen posted on other forums. I would suggest getting all your info together before going in. That way if they do say no you can ask for the service manager and present your case.
Eh, ever hear of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act? Same Magnuson that created Magnacharger.

Warranty:
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (US Code-Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312) states that the manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to failure in the vehicle.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwurlz View Post
Eh, ever hear of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act? Same Magnuson that created Magnacharger.

Warranty:
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (US Code-Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312) states that the manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to failure in the vehicle.
I would bet that the dealer could find a lawyer that could prove that the extra power created from the Magnacharger caused premature failure of the transmission. Now if they wanted to say that it caused the springs to fail or the window motor to stop working, then that would be an issue worth fighting. But anything you do to one component in the powertrain can affect the other components directly.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwurlz View Post

Warranty:
Yeah I've heard of it. are you serious? you really are naive. think about it for a second. you drive up to the dealer or have your truck towed up there. the dealer looks at your truck and says that whatever mod you did caused the damage and we aren't going to do the work. if you were standing there and told that what would you physically do at that point?

are you going to use force to get them to perform the warranty? are you going to argue with the sales manager? are you going to call the 1-800 number? once they turn you away you will have to either argue your case or get a lawyer.

I've been thru all this with a Jeep before. I had a 2" body lift and my POS dana 35 rearend started getting really loud. I only had 28,000 miles and I only had 30x9.50 tires on it. Anyway, they tried to say that my body lift put the driveshaft at an angle that caused the rearend to go bad. anyone with the slightest bit of mechanical knowledge knows that a body lift doesn't change the driveline. After speaking with the service manager and being told it wasn't covered I proceeded to call the 1-800 Chrysler number from the service dept courtesy phone...while on hold they magically decided they would honor the warranty. what if they had stuck to decision? my only choice would've been to get my own lawyer.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram "Demon"
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Graphite
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
skwurlz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
Yeah I've heard of it. are you serious? you really are naive. think about it for a second. you drive up to the dealer or have your truck towed up there. the dealer looks at your truck and says that whatever mod you did caused the damage and we aren't going to do the work. if you were standing there and told that what would you physically do at that point?

are you going to use force to get them to perform the warranty? are you going to argue with the sales manager? are you going to call the 1-800 number? once they turn you away you will have to either argue your case or get a lawyer.

I've been thru all this with a Jeep before. I had a 2" body lift and my POS dana 35 rearend started getting really loud. I only had 28,000 miles and I only had 30x9.50 tires on it. Anyway, they tried to say that my body lift put the driveshaft at an angle that caused the rearend to go bad. anyone with the slightest bit of mechanical knowledge knows that a body lift doesn't change the driveline. After speaking with the service manager and being told it wasn't covered I proceeded to call the 1-800 Chrysler number from the service dept courtesy phone...while on hold they magically decided they would honor the warranty. what if they had stuck to decision? my only choice would've been to get my own lawyer.
First thing, put the induction system back to stock. Only a days work with a 12 pack and taking it slow. Then drive/tow the vehicle to a dealer.

Your calling me naive? I bet if you would have put the stock tires and body pucks back on, they would have repaired the part under warranty wthout you having to make a phone call. Seems the REAL techs that work for Corp. know that a bodylift doesn't affect the driveline angle. Hence why they authorized the repair OVER the phone.

If this guy takes the truck to the dealer with the blower on, thats his less than stellar descision. He needs to put it back to stock. He'll get the trans replaced, can ask for the core to be returned, and have that rebuilt and installed. The biggest issue, is his kit isn't really a kit, its custom. If it was a bolt on kit, that was EO'd, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

I've been involved personally with cases like this, and all 3 cases the cars were lemon'd and bought back by the dealer. Attorney fees were paid for by said dealers as well. You just need to make sure you have the 'sack to stick it to the big boyz.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM

CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Azzo would def have a better shot if the truck was brought in in stock form but did you see the labor bill he posted earlier. He's not doing his own work so by the time the s/c is removed and reinstalled it might be about the same cost as buying a new trans.

sticking to your guns is right. when I took that jeep in they thought I was just some dumb kid. I knew they were bsing me trying to see if I'd call their bluff. I never even actaully got to talk to anyone on the phone before they came over and told me the rearend was covered. going thru the trouble to remove the body lift would've been the biggest waste of time and have about as much validity as removing the aftermarket radio for a drivetrain issue.

Last edited by CHVYKLR; 08-07-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I'll be the first to admit, I don't have a dog in this fight. That said--I've heard numerous times on this site by more than just a couple of people, remove the program, take it back to stock, take the mod off before you take your truck to the dealership after you broke something. This seems to me to be saying lie, lie, lie, to the dealer. I quess my question is, whatever happened to personal integrity? You bought the mod and if you broke something because of it, put your big boy pants on and pay for it yourself. I also agree however, if the dealer is out of line and trying to screw you over, you have every right to stand up and fight for yourself.
Jay

Last edited by Pull Ya; 08-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 PM

as the saying goes..."if you wanna play, you gotta pay."
Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport RCSB
Rep:27
mgh is on a distinguished road

Biggest problem with this idea is that if they do rebuild your trans, they are going to use factory frictions and you will be in the same position in a few hundred miles.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

I don't think replacing the trans is going to fix the problem anyways. He needs a built trans I would go with sharadon

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning