DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

as i mentioned, i have a Class 4, came with the truck

my build sheet reads
XFH Class 4 Receiver Hitch

i also have
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
NHDP Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:147
FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan7G09 View Post
I guess it's personal preference, but I just can't see how that small receiver is going to be as strong as one that mounts directly to the frame.
The bar that it is bolted to is mounted directly to the frame. It is a very strong setup and is what Dodge will provide as the factory option. Just look at the specs...If you use a weight distributing hitch, it's rated for a 10,000 pound trailer and 1000 lb tongue weight. If your towing anymore than that, frankly maybe you should get a 2500. I used to work in the RV industry. Trust me, a class III hitch is more than plenty for most applications.
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:30
Spartan7G09 is on a distinguished road

The option that is being offered by these places is NOT the factory offered option, at least it wasn't in the case of my dad's truck. He got a square tube, frame mounted Class IV hitch on his truck. I agree that if you go over that weight, you should consider going with the 2500, but it's nice to know that if I NEED a Class IV, it's there, and considering that everywhere I've looked, the Class III and Class IV is the same price, it only makes sense.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Al E. Gator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
can I even mount one directly to my frame? it would appear that bar is in the way. Sucks because I have a frame mount class IV in my garage, its a Universal Reese that came off an F150. I can weld, so should be no issue , but I am NOT cutting that crossmember off to do it, so what gives?

The front center of the Class IV hitch mounts to the back of the rail with two bolts, just like the Class III hitch does and the receiver hangs below the rail and the bumper. The Class IV also has two bolts going to the frame on each side of the truck. The class III has an additional single large bolt through the bumper ball mount hole to give it a 3 point mount. The class III is avaialble at Amazon for $72 shipped.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan7G09 View Post
The option that is being offered by these places is NOT the factory offered option, at least it wasn't in the case of my dad's truck. He got a square tube, frame mounted Class IV hitch on his truck. I agree that if you go over that weight, you should consider going with the 2500, but it's nice to know that if I NEED a Class IV, it's there, and considering that everywhere I've looked, the Class III and Class IV is the same price, it only makes sense.

The trucks with hitches I looked at on my dealer's lot have the same Class III hitch I have. Curt claims this is an OEM style hitch. I bet Chrysler offers both hitches as options.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:147
FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al E. Gator View Post
The trucks with hitches I looked at on my dealer's lot have the same Class III hitch I have. Curt claims this is an OEM style hitch. I bet Chrysler offers both hitches as options.
True, or the dealer could have had a local truck shop install the class IV hitch, like my dealer offered. I wanted the oem style so I ordered it. That small center section like I have IS the oem option. Go to dodge and take a look at the pic in the parts book.
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4
Color: Silver
ELFATKAT is on a distinguished road
Cool I think I understand the towing equation

So we have a small class III receiver hitch that is attached to the cross member under the truck. This in essence means that the small part you wold buy from drawtite, hidden hitch, etc... like having one of the larger hitches that come with a cross member and brackets that attach to the frame. The limits come to play when you use a load distribution hitch that is something that you can slide into the receiver. That hitch increases the limit of total GVWR for the trailer you can tow from 6000 to 10000. The engine and tranny can handle up to 10525 or something like that.

I just want to make sure that I can pull the trailer that I want to buy. I also do not want to spend too much money on a receiver hitch if I do not need it. I am pretty sure when I want to trade up to a bigger trailer I will also trade up to a 2500 cummins.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread. Maybe I will repost, but this is what I am planning to do. Those of you with more knowledge let me know if I am correct.

Install Class III reciever hitch like this one...
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2011300060

and buy a load dist hitch like this one...
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49569.html

and pull something like a travel trailer up to 10000lbs

Does that make sense?

ELFATKAT
Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELFATKAT View Post
So we have a small class III receiver hitch that is attached to the cross member under the truck. This in essence means that the small part you wold buy from drawtite, hidden hitch, etc... like having one of the larger hitches that come with a cross member and brackets that attach to the frame. The limits come to play when you use a load distribution hitch that is something that you can slide into the receiver. That hitch increases the limit of total GVWR for the trailer you can tow from 6000 to 10000. The engine and tranny can handle up to 10525 or something like that.

I just want to make sure that I can pull the trailer that I want to buy. I also do not want to spend too much money on a receiver hitch if I do not need it. I am pretty sure when I want to trade up to a bigger trailer I will also trade up to a 2500 cummins.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread. Maybe I will repost, but this is what I am planning to do. Those of you with more knowledge let me know if I am correct.

Install Class III reciever hitch like this one...
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2011300060

and buy a load dist hitch like this one...
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49569.html

and pull something like a travel trailer up to 10000lbs

Does that make sense?

ELFATKAT

You are correct. As long as you don't go over 10k lbs you will be good to go. Don't forget to verifiy the tongue weight of the trailer too. The class III receiver is rated for 1000lbs but the dist hitch you linked is only rated to 800lbs. BTW, the Curt 13333 hitch is avaialbe at Amazon for $72 shipped.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4
Color: Silver
ELFATKAT is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up On it's way...

Quote:
You are correct. As long as you don't go over 10k lbs you will be good to go. Don't forget to verifiy the tongue weight of the trailer too. The class III receiver is rated for 1000lbs but the dist hitch you linked is only rated to 800lbs. BTW, the Curt 13333 hitch is avaialbe at Amazon for $72 shipped.
Thanks for the tip I ordered the curt one you mentioned from Amazon. I also had an unused credit so I got it for $60

I will post pics once I install it...

ELFATKAT
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
The front center of the Class IV hitch mounts to the back of the rail with two bolts, just like the Class III hitch does and the receiver hangs below the rail and the bumper. The Class IV also has two bolts going to the frame on each side of the truck. The class III has an additional single large bolt through the bumper ball mount hole to give it a 3 point mount. The class III is avaialble at Amazon for $72 shipped.

You must not have understood me. I have a weight distributing trailer hitch (Class IV) that I want to put on my Ram. Can it be done? or is that support in the way? If not I am only out $5 (what the hitch cost me at a yard sale) and I suppose I could pop for the one from Amazon. I just need to know if I can use the one I have or if I need to pass it on to someone who can use it.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...