DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dode Ram Outdoorsman Crew
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman Crew
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tocou is on a distinguished road
Default Dirt road + Dust + Cold Air Intake

Hi,

I drive about 6*000*to 8*000*miles per year in dirt road full of dust. I was wondering if a CAI was a good option for me. I really like to sound + fuel economy + more HP, but I don't know if the dust will be a major problem, even with a good maintenance...

Tom
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM
erm

Not if you get a good quality filter, such as K&N or AFE. Your cleaning interval will be much shorter. These are actually better filters than what is in your truck now.

Alternately, a flat panel filter from either company is a definite improvement to consider as well, just from a protection and filtering standpoint.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 08 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Electric Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
USMCRONIN1 will become famous soon enoughUSMCRONIN1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Not if you get a good quality filter, such as K&N or AFE. Your cleaning interval will be much shorter. These are actually better filters than what is in your truck now.

Alternately, a flat panel filter from either company is a definite improvement to consider as well, just from a protection and filtering standpoint.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2004.5 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Molten Red/ Silver
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:93
Poriggity will become famous soon enough

I am biased, because I use Amsoil in everything, but I use an Amsoil Drop in filter in my cummins, and I LOVE it. I know for us diesel guys, K&N is frowned upon, because it's proven to not filter as good as most aftermarket filters. IMHO, a decent drop in filter for the factory airbox will filter great. It won't get you that "sound" you are looking for really though.
Scott
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

The 09, 10, and 11 OEM cai's are excellent with one minor flaw, the filter itself is not as free flowing as it could be.

I have yet to see an actual reports of benefits by adding an aftermarket CAI on a Gen 4 Ram.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If ingesting dirt is a concern, add an Outerwear prefilter. I use one on my ATV and it couts down on the service interval on my filter. http://www.outerwearsracing.com/
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I was also going to mention one of the covers for the filter as well. That will help out as well. If you get a good filter then you wont have to worry. Like said above the stock filter is worse then any aftermarket one you would buy.

If you go with an oiled filter then it will trap dirt. I have one in my truck and I work construction. I am in dust all the time, and it is pretty bad at times. I can see the amount of dirt and crap the filter stopped from going into the motor.

Look into getting a box style filter. They have ones the seal up to the hood, or ones that have their own top. That will help stop everything from getting to the filter except air. If you get a CAI like a BFI then it is exposed to everything and will need maintenance more often.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2004.5 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Molten Red/ Silver
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:93
Poriggity will become famous soon enough

I agree with RamTech, the outerwears do help considerably with dirt and debris filtration.
Scott