DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:13
bcjjones is on a distinguished road
Default Block Cracked, Switching from 318 to 360?

Income tax was coming in and i planned on fixing up my little 318, which i JUST posted about yesterday. But we had a very unsual extremely cold night lastnight, and it seems that some of the water froze in my truck and of course instead of the freeze plugs poping out, the block cracked around the two of the freeze plugs. which to my knowledge isn't even worth trying to have fixed. So im going to swap in a used motor but since i am being forced to do so i wanted to put in a 360. Why not and plus they have an overstock of the 360's so they are seling them less then the 318s. I searched the forum and found some posts about ths but didnt answer some of my questions. My truck is a 1996 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.2 and a standard transmission. I found a used 360 and a local salvage yard with 113,000 miles on it but it's from a 2000 year model ram. Can i use my stock transmission and transfer case? Also from what i've read the 5.9 never came with a standard transmission so is this going to be a problem? I know i would need to change the flywheel but was curious where to get one or? Other then that though it should basically just be take out, drop in and plug up right?

Last edited by bcjjones; 02-02-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

The 5.9's did have a manual trans available . Just make sure you order the flywheel for the 5.9 and your good to go .
Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Okay cool man, i appreciate the input. Another questions i have, though, is I understand i can use my stock 318 and stock injectors to run the motor but it just wont run it as well. So i plan to upgrade those, but not right away. So when i do, ill probably get a 2000 year 360 computer and if I do would i be able to use a performance programmer on it like the sct or hypertech? As opposed to having to buy a one tune PCM which i would have to do with the 96 computer because of the obd1?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 PM

Took about six hours but got the engine out, all the hoses and wires labeled for easy install and the new flywheel waiting to be picked up at oreilly's. Gunna put the new engine in tomorrow, hopefully before the super bowl. Only question im having now is, if the engine came out of an automatic instead of a standard like mine is there anything else i need besides the flywheel? I mean i know have to swich over the crankshaft sensor but anything else?
Let me know if yall have any input!! Thanks!

Sorry, also i was looking at the flyweels and there seems to be two different ones. One with 143 teeth and the other with 130. Both say compatible, any idea which one would be correct?

Last edited by bcjjones; 02-05-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 doge ram 1500
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
carpenter is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if you got the swap done? If so, how do you like the new motor? I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my 98 ram 1500. Really I just want some more power for towing etc.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Yea man got the engine in and started it up. I havent gotten a chance to drive it yet, still have the top bolts where to trans mounts to the motor and gotta bolt the headers on to the y-pipe. I work outside all day and its been so damn cold here by the time i get off it dark and even colder so all i want to do is go inside. Should take about another half hour and it'll be complete. It was my first engine swap and it went pretty smooth. If your going to do it tho man take out your trans with the engine. Getting the engine back in without taking out the trans, like i did, is next to impossible. It might have been easier if I had some help, I did the entire thing in a weekend by myself, but it took me about six straight hours just to get the engine mounted back up to the trans. Only because its about impossible to get the engine back far enough in the engine bay to mount without the hoist getting in the way. Ill get it dont on Saturday and let you know how the difference is!!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjjones View Post
Yea man got the engine in and started it up. I havent gotten a chance to drive it yet, still have the top bolts where to trans mounts to the motor and gotta bolt the headers on to the y-pipe. I work outside all day and its been so damn cold here by the time i get off it dark and even colder so all i want to do is go inside. Should take about another half hour and it'll be complete. It was my first engine swap and it went pretty smooth. If your going to do it tho man take out your trans with the engine. Getting the engine back in without taking out the trans, like i did, is next to impossible. It might have been easier if I had some help, I did the entire thing in a weekend by myself, but it took me about six straight hours just to get the engine mounted back up to the trans. Only because its about impossible to get the engine back far enough in the engine bay to mount without the hoist getting in the way. Ill get it dont on Saturday and let you know how the difference is!!
Right on! Yeah I can imagine it would be a pain in the ass to do by yourself. I was going to leave the trany as well! But since you warned against it I'm reconsidering now haha! But taking the trany has it's own set of problem like all the linkage and transfer case etc. etc. So I dunno haha! Thanks for the reply though man I appreciate it. And let us know how it all worked out in the end!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: green
Rep:10
squintay is on a distinguished road

so you guys get the swaps done and running ? i got a 99, 1500. thats getting a hemi from a 04. i wanna make is a 5speed too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I haven't even started yet! How does the hemi fit in there? Does it bolt right up to the trany and motor mounts etc. or is there a lot of modifications required. I was goint to the 360 because it's a direct swap.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Problem

I got everything back in and bolted up yesterday. Went to take it for the first test drive and the engine will not pick up rpms? Everything is hooked up properly and the engine will start and idle just fine. I give it gas and it just wont pick up rpms at all. I know the distributor on a 2000 dodge ram 5.9 is different then the distributor im using off the 96 dodge ram 5.2 engine that came off of my truck. Does anyone have any idea if that would cause this? Also does anyone know what differences there are between the two?

Ps. I have broke two distributor rotors already so maybe thats an indication?