DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

It is my understanding that the air we breathe, and is in your tires, is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% other gasses.

Like RamTech said, a lot to pay to replace about 20% of what is in your tires and I can't air them at home.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Bighorn 4X4
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
WhenInDoubt101 is on a distinguished road

I was pleasantly surprised to see Nit came with the truck when I purchased it. I'm a firm believer in Nit, my last set of tires on the old retired Ford I got 77,000 miles out of the tires and never had to check the pressure. The tire dealership always checked tire pressure when I had them rotated. One of these days I'm going to have Nit put in my trailer tires too, to me it's well worth the money, but of course I put 45,000 a year on my trucks and have enough things to service more than I want.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: tan
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
mike49 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffs03mach1 View Post
for the guy asking about nitrogen. my understanding of it all is that nitrogen does not compress or expand like air and is made up of bigger molecules so it doesnt leak out thru the tire. not a rocket scientist here but thats the gist of it i think. someone on here a lot smarter may be able to explain it better. it is expensive to have it done but they say you get better mpg, longer tire life, more even wear etc. i dont know that there really is a big enough difference for the cost.

It's pretty much B.S. - the only possible benefit I can see is eliminating the oxygen from inside the tires may retard aging/degradation of the rubber, and less moisture content will delay rust of the wheels. For a good explanation: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191

ps - normal air is 78% Nitrogen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

Bottom line - not worth the money as long as you check your tire pressure regularly
Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
FireWire is on a distinguished road

My 2011 came with nitrogen in the tires. I assume it came from the factory that way.
I doubt that the dealer did it.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
The module is programmed to alert at a preset pressure. Unfortunately there is no calibration procedure to set the pressure transmitted by the sensors.
My superchips flashpaq allows me to adjust the TPMS, not sure if you can adjust it to any setting, but I think you can adjust it at least on or off. They have the option for people who do rock crawling and stuff like this.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

When i bought new tires & wheels, i didn't want to disassemble the chrome clads w/ the stock tires, i spent a bit of money & bought new TPMS sensors too

Now i can be on a hill on a hot summer day & the check tire light comes on, tire pressures are pressurized correctly & each time i had been on the road for quite some time
TPMS sensors were checked out at Discount Tire where i bought them, nothing found. I also have a truckers tire gauge with me
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
GoatFarmer is on a distinguished road

One of the big reasons they put nitrogen in your tires straight out of the factory is the moisture issue. Air is made up of Oxygen, Nitrogen, and other elements like Hydrogen. Hydrogen, and Oxygen make water... Water F's with your TPMS... They don't want you bringing your truck back to the stealership once a week complaining that the TPMS doesn't work, so they go with Nitrogen. Nitrogen has some benefits (not enough to pay that much extra IMHO) but pretty well any car with TPMS valve stems will come straight from the factory with it in the tires.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:25
mtbiker033 is on a distinguished road

at my dealership they have nitrofil and I haven't had to do anything to them for over a year. the pressure is always constant no matter what the weather is. It only cost $39.95 for lifetime of the vehicle.