DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

Synthetic is better on internals, thus I use it.

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Cool Chrome
Color: Cool Vanilla
Rep:79
westxsrt10 will become famous soon enough

Syntheitc is the best way to go by far...Factory fill on my 05 Ram SRT, Viper is Mobil 1. Almost all quality cars/truck are factory filled with syntheitc.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mrsprinkler is on a distinguished road

Okay, like I said I was not trying to fight with anyone. My original question was those that were running Amsoil, what level were they using, OEM, XL, or Signature?
When I come due for the next change I am going to try it and see what happens. I run dino on 3000 now and I figured even if I don't get more mileage in the end I could at least go out to 6000 on the synthetic and save myself the 1/2 hour of rolling around under the truck so often.
On the mileage thing..........I've see people post here that they picked up 2 or more mpg when using synthetic and I've also seen it on multiple synthetic oil sites. Not saying that it is true but with the cost of fuel going no where but up I figure what do I have to lose? It is worth a try, I have decided on the Amsoil, its just now a decision about what level to use. I don't see any point in the Signature becasue I will never, ever, ever run 10000+ miles on an oil change so I just have to decide between the OEM or the XL.
Once I do this I will keep all up to date on what happens with the mileage. No matter what it ends up being after a 1000 miles or so I'll let you guys know. If I don't get any increase then so be it. If I do then that will be a plus.
I still think it is just sad that the auto companies can't get more mileage on these trucks. I know the half tons are up some from where they were 25 years ago but the 3/4 ton and up are still pretty bad.
The mileage is really the only complaint I have about the truck. Overall it has done well for me so far. I haven't had, oh my should I say it and tempt faight.........So far I haven't had any problems with the truck. (let all hell break loose now)
Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 Crewcab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:13
Mcbride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsprinkler View Post
DBryant, yes I agree. I have been using dino oil for over 30 years. I've had several work trucks all with well over 100000 on them and on evern had 300000 on it. (diesel) I have been doing research and that is what has brought me to the decision to go with synthetic. I am looking for the added mpg. I use dino and change at every 3000. If I go synthetic I'll bump it to every 6000, thus the cost difference is a wash. I've read alot about using the synthetic and most say they picket up 2 to 4 miles to the gallon. I currently get 10 so with the price of gas such that it is and the fact that I burn through at least 60 gallon a week right now, I am willing to try anything that appears to have proven claims at least once and make an educated decision for myself from that point on. Im not trying to start a fight with anyone over this I just wondered what grade of the amsoil most had gone with. It is purely taking a chance on the increased mpg that I am going to try this. Hopefully it works. As a side note so I don't catch hell for it, I love this truck, it does everything I ask it to with no problem and I didn't buy it for fuel mileage, however with that said it gets the worst mileage of any truck I have owned in the last 10 years short of the 2 ton that doesn't get used all that often. I think it is very sad that trucks 25 years ago got 8 or 9 mpg all day long and that with all the new technology now days they can't do better.
I do appreciate everyones feed back on the question. This is a great forum and appears to have a lot of knowledgeable people. Thanks guys.
Not trying to be arguementative, but are you sure it was not 0.2 MPG increase?
I cannot see dino oil making any big change in fuel mileage.
I have used dino, and synthetic in my corvette, and if it makes any difference, its too small for me to tell.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
DBryant is on a distinguished road

I don't want to be misunderstood. Synthetic oil is the best oil, period. However unless you live where the temps exceed 100 or are lower than 0 on a consistant basis, synthetic is not needed. As for extended oil changes, while the ingredients in synthetic may still be good after 10,000 miles, the oil is still dirty. I don,t want 10,000 mile dirty oil flowing through my expensive Hemi engine.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Doesn't look like you'll get an answer, sprinkler.

IMHO, most will be buying the 'Signature"/most expensive version as 'its the best and nothing but the best for my baby',,, Furthermore, that will be the EXACT rationality they use to make that decision, nothing more.

If you aren't going for extended oil change intervals, (longer than OEM) you'll have no issues with the XL. Won't have any problem with dino oil, either.

On the other hand, why spend that much $$$ on a blend? (It is legal to paste 'synthetic' on a less than 100% synthetic oil) Note that the 'Signature' label has 100% synthetic on it, but the XL label doesn't,,,,

I tried Amsoil/extended OCI's back in the day,,, The only benefit I got was not having to change oil as often. At 12,000 miles a year, there was no $$$$ saved.

Also had 'black' oil in my engine for most of the year. Ya really need to go with the bypass filtering system if you are serious about extended OCI's. Again, more $$$$$$

My plan? I've been stocking up on Mobil One for $4.00 a qt on black fridays.
Change it every 5,000 miles. Pure One filters for $5 delivered on AMAZON

MPG improvements with synthetics are factual, but 2-3% is a more realistic expectation.

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 02-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2454
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I use Amsoil 0W20 with a NAPA gold filter, link to pic below. This is an excellent oil / Filter combination and nothing else is going in my HEMI.

http://www.ramforumz.com/attachment....3&d=1280081201
Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Grey
mrsprinkler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
Doesn't look like you'll get an answer, sprinkler.

IMHO, most will be buying the 'Signature"/most expensive version as 'its the best and nothing but the best for my baby',,, Furthermore, that will be the EXACT rationality they use to make that decision, nothing more.

If you aren't going for extended oil change intervals, (longer than OEM) you'll have no issues with the XL. Won't have any problem with dino oil, either.

On the other hand, why spend that much $$$ on a blend? (It is legal to paste 'synthetic' on a less than 100% synthetic oil) Note that the 'Signature' label has 100% synthetic on it, but the XL label doesn't,,,,

I tried Amsoil/extended OCI's back in the day,,, The only benefit I got was not having to change oil as often. At 12,000 miles a year, there was no $$$$ saved.

Also had 'black' oil in my engine for most of the year. Ya really need to go with the bypass filtering system if you are serious about extended OCI's. Again, more $$$$$$

My plan? I've been stocking up on Mobil One for $4.00 a qt on black fridays.
Change it every 5,000 miles. Pure One filters for $5 delivered on AMAZON

MPG improvements with synthetics are factual, but 2-3% is a more realistic expectation.

I believe your right about getting the answer to the original question.
Thanks to all. I think it is time to move on to another topic. We have beat this horse enough.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: 2004.5 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Molten Red/ Silver
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:93
Poriggity will become famous soon enough

It really depends on what you want to do with the oil. If you plan on extended drain intervals, I would take a look at the XL oils. If you have any questions about the different types of oils, shoot me a PM and I will answer whatever you need.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST quad cab 4wd
Color: Red
steve57 is on a distinguished road

If synthetic oil provided two to four additional miles per gallon, everyone would use
it. The fact is, conventional oil provides the same fuel mileage. It's a waste of
money to use synthetic oil unless you plan to drive beyond the recommended oil
change recommendations, in which case you would risk losing a warranty claim.