DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004.5 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Molten Red/ Silver
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:93
Poriggity will become famous soon enough

Steve,
if you go with a proven synthetic oil, that stands behind their claims, losing a warranty claim would not be an issue. Amsoil stands behind their products with a warranty of their own. Also, the magnuson moss warranty act states that the dealer CANNOT void a warranty, unless they can PROVE the item in question caused the failure.
Just my opinon, but I'd bet you'd have a hard time proving Amsoil or any other synethtic oil did any damage to a motor.
Scott
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST quad cab 4wd
Color: Red
Rep:10
steve57 is on a distinguished road

Scott, My point is that synthetic is a waste of money if you change your oil at
Dodge's recommended intervals. And if you go beyond those intervals, you risk losing
your warranty if there is a claim. I will concede that synthetic is better if you drive
farther than the recommended oil change interval, but totally unnecessary if you
change your oil as recommended.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 2004.5 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Molten Red/ Silver
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:93
Poriggity will become famous soon enough

I agree with you there Steve. If you are planning on sticking with the standard intervals, synthetics may not be worth it. If you read up on Amsoil's warranty on their oil, if you use it as they recommend, you won't have an issue with losing a warranty claim. If for any reason, the dealer won't warranty something because of the customer using Amsoil and their extended drain interval, then Amsoil will take care of it for you, so long as their product was used as it's supposed to be.
Scott
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 Crewcab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
Mcbride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poriggity View Post
I agree with you there Steve. If you are planning on sticking with the standard intervals, synthetics may not be worth it. If you read up on Amsoil's warranty on their oil, if you use it as they recommend, you won't have an issue with losing a warranty claim. If for any reason, the dealer won't warranty something because of the customer using Amsoil and their extended drain interval, then Amsoil will take care of it for you, so long as their product was used as it's supposed to be.
Scott
Amsoil will just claim it was not an oil related failure, that it was something else, to avoid paying out.
Amsoil hates paying up when their products fail.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough
Default oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
I know a fellow that worked for a major distributor of synthetic oil for a number of years, if anything at all, the absolute best advantage to using synthetic that even the manufacturer "won't" tell you is you can actually drive up to 20,000 miles on synthetic without changing your oil! It's not something that I would do because the detergents and additives in the oil will break down, but the molecular structure of synthetic never breaks down unlike conventional oil. Over-due oil changes with conventional oils cause it to break down allowing wear.
Wrong, synthetic oil does break down, but not due to heat like dino oil. All oils "shear" which is a breakdown process. That is why we had to change every 3k miles with the dino oil. Now we have synthetics with a lot smaller molecules, will take heat a lot better and it takes longer to shear. The shear process is when oil breaks down from 20 weight to 19,18 and on down to 10 etc. That process takes longer with synthetics thus the longer change intervals. Synthetics are more expensive, true, but no oem additives are required and best not be used with synthetics. Synthetics and MPG's????That is mostly dependent on how one drives the vehicle. I can get 24 MPG in both my Laramie and my Shelby GT500. I can also screw up both of those numbers in a heartbeat or a footthrob.