DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 4x4 Qd Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
nocoborn is on a distinguished road

Thanks sk8noregon. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. Not really interested in hearing "you can't do that". If I had followed that advice everytime someone told me that, I would never have worked on anything on my truck. I understand that body work is an art form. I wasn't looking for advice on how to become a master body work guy. I was looking for ways to save money. I already took it to "the shop". What they are charging is not worth it for me. That was about 2 years ago. I think they wanted around 4 grand. I looked at the truck and said, "hmmmm, I kinda like those dents." I just thought if there is some way to economically make them look a little better, then I would do that. I guess what I was hoping for is to find some cheap body parts that I could replace, and then maybe take them some plae reasonable to be prepped and painted. Hope this doesn't come off as bitchy, but when I hear the words "you can't do that at home", you might as well be kicking me in the nuts. Plus, it's not really true is it now. How many people have restored cars at home (including body work and paint)? Should we hunt all those people down and say "you can't do that, you can't do that, cuz your at home!!!" Just my $.02

Having said all that, thanks again for the advice.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:637
sk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to all

No problem nocoborn. I know what it's like when that happens, I went through the same thing. I wanted to do Auto Body since I was a kid but didn't have the money for school so I did the next best thing....Research, and a lot of it.I've watched countless videos, read alot, and just started practicing on different projects. There is enough information out there on this subject that a person could do just about any part of body work as long as you want to and have or have access to some tools. I have honestly seen Garage Projects that you would never know didn't come from a Professional Shop. Best of luck !
Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

No one is trying to knock you down. I'm just trying to not let you go into a project you are not able to do properly and waste your money and cause further expense / damage to a nice truck. Honestly at home your best bet is to replace the panels with used that would be the least amount of work needed. Except the box side. That's going to be pretty tough to do without some sort of trained help. Sk8noregon there is no way you are going to research that job in google and do a job that looked like it came from a good shop. NO WAY. I've been in the business since I was 13 I do have some knowledge in this area. Even if you know how to do it there is no replacement for experience in a job like this. Again I'm all for doing things at home but you need to be realistic too.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the advice rtkman. I understand my limitations. And I agree with you, nothing replaces experience. How do you get experience???? Ooohhh, you have to try it..... Again, I wish I had a dime for every "repair shop" that told me, "you can't do that job, it has to be a professional." Usually, I look in the back and its a bunch of kids that have no idea what they are working on. Or as I like to call them "parts changers" I know body work is different. It's an art. But hey, I bet even Picaso laid a few turds before he did his master pieces!!! HA!!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Hey no problem. I just don't want your truck to look like a turd Experience is had by doing smaller more manageable jobs while being supervised by someone who knows what they are doing and working your way up to bigger jobs. If you look you may be able to find used doors the right colour. car-part.com works good.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Good advice. Like, learning how to change the oil before you decide you're going to drop the transmission. Got it. While I was online shopping for parts, I came across this article.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/4212304

Thanks again!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM

That's actually a pretty good article. Too bad its harder than it looks Its more the box side that worries me than the doors.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i have http://www.jimsautoparts.com/index.html book marked on my puter, they seem to have stuff that others don't carry & their prices seem good

the biggest problem doing body work, is when a body line or crease is involved, it is very difficult to get them looking good, but, if you have been riding around like that for over a year, a drill, auto body type rivets, & a slide hammer, & then some Bondo could not look any worse & you may learn a bit about body work,

out here in Southern California, we have auto recycling yards called Ecology, if we go with our tools to the yard when it is raining or before noon the next day after the rain, they let you have the parts for 50% off, they also have other days when they do a similar discount. the trick is to find the vehicle that has the part that you want & pray for rain before someone else gets that part. heheh

winter is coming to an end, there are people having wrecks every day, your parts selection choices are growing by the hour

I say go buy some cheaper body tools, like at Walmart, Target, or Harbor Freight, get a set of body hammers & dollies, they can be bought in a kit, a slide hammer for body work, try to borrow or rent a 4 ton Porta Power with the spreader jaws & have some fun while learning, a short piece of 2x4 lumber may be needed

i wonder if anyone makes air lift bags similar to the larger ones that fire rescue, towing companies, & boat salvage companies use for their work & locksmiths use to enter a locked vehicle, that can be applied for body work?

if you mess up, OH WELL, you can still go buy the door & bed when you have the $$
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-21-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Panel replacement is a little tougher than just removing and replacing a complete door . You could reskin the doors , but if you screw them up your out the price of a door skin and by the looks at the prices you don't want to do that . If you want to try and save some money , price up a pair of used doors . With a little bit of work and another pair of hands , you should beable to do that yourself . It's kind of hard to tell in the photo how bad the one door really is . To do the skin replacement on the doors and bed your looking at a variety of special tools , grinders , welder , chisels , special adhesives etc... To remove the bed you will need some special saw horses to put the bed on and about 6 guys with some good arms on them to lift the bed off . Been there done that . So not knowing how mechanically inclined you really are , lets find out . Let us know what you decide on doing . I'm gonna look up a pair of used doors for ya .

Last edited by Toms Blue Ram 1500; 02-21-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

R/F power door is $595.00
R/F manual door -none found
R/R power door is $375.00
R/R manual door is $325.00 .

So there ya go . You should beable to do this work yourself . I think thats cheaper than doing door skins . Let us know what you decide .