DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default Questions about synthetic oil and PCV valve

I've been reading a lot about the potential for sludge problems with the 4.7L. I don't have any reason to believe my truck has any problems and the previous owner swears the oil was changed religiously. But I don't know him so we know what that's worth. Any thoughts on switching to synthetic? Some seem to recommend it and some not so much. My truck has 59,000 on it.

Also, how hard/expensive is replacing the PCV valve? I can change oil, plugs, belts, etc but that one is a first for me.

And while I'm at it, what's this I read about busting radiators? Is this common to any particular years?

Thanks ahead of time!!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Going synthetic should not be an issue. Probably benefit the motor in the long run. But keep in mind you cannot switch back if after a few oil changes you decide its to expensive to keep up with.

Changing the PCV valve shouldn't be to hard. Go to your local parts store like Autozone or NAPA and they should have a computer they can bring up the location and probably procedures as well.

Radiators are radiators, they all can fail. If you radiator goes don't waste your money getting it replaced until you've had a radiator shop tell you to do so. You do need to completely flush the cooling system at least once a year and that includes changing the thermostat.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:113
HVACeR will become famous soon enoughHVACeR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Going synthetic should not be an issue. Probably benefit the motor in the long run. But keep in mind you cannot switch back if after a few oil changes you decide its to expensive to keep up with.
I disagree with the once you go syn you can't/shouldn't go back to dino.

I think that it's an old tale that has continued to get propagated and has come to be somewhat of truth. I've never heard of anyone who personally has made the switch and had anything detrimental happen. It always seems to be one of those "My cousin's uncle's next door neighbors friend made the switch and the engine went kaboom"

I personally made the switch just as an extra level of protection, but as long as you stay with the recommended oil weight, I believe everything should be fine.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:11
LEW is on a distinguished road

Concerning syn oil, the directions are to use conventional oil for the first "couple" of changes. This will allow for normal engine break in. After that, you can use either syn or conventional, switching back and forth, without any problems. I have personally used syn then conventional and I have syn (I bought on sale) for the next change. 63k miles so far.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:31
charlieb is on a distinguished road

yes i have used synthetic in wifes car periodically just to clean out possible sludge 1 time per year on average changing oil 3-4 times a year with penzoil conventional at other times run synthetic in all my trucks from time i buy to sell.never any problems or leaks at all i do understand the old timer mechanic who has seen vehicle come in with 200,000 miles on it built up with sludge change to synthetic and maybe a seal like in that situation ive heard from the horses mouth and believe that its a possibility in the most extreme situations because the synthetic really does clean out built up sludge in ur engine from poor quality oil and bad interval changes