DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crewcab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Briliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
dodgerammer09 is on a distinguished road

hehe yeah you can say that....

just buy a predator dude & enjoy the extra's

Grtz
Jo
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Hell man the speeds they drive over there you're going to want the 93octane tune anyway! go get yourself a DSP. Be safe and Have fun while you're over there!
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

When I was transferred overseas I drove my truck to Tucson (nice dry heat), did a oil change, filled the tank with premium and added fuel stabilizer, and rented a covered stall in a storage place. Put it up on jack stands. Dropped the tire pressure by about 5psi. I left a couple windows slightly cracked for venting. Had the insurance company tell me what kind of coverage I needed on it and went with that.

When I came back a few years later it was paid off. Put in new plugs and put it on the ground and drove away.

Its your choice. But also keep in mind other than the main roads in most European countries, trucks don't fit real well.

A couple of other factors to consider. The fuel overseas when I was there was not unleaded and insurance costs were astronomical.

You'll have a license plate or other tag/decal that will tell everyone you're an American. But they will have to look for/at it. Driving a big American truck will make you stand out and that is not a good thing. Not only in regard to terrorists but also insurance scammers. If people know you're an American, they WILL arrange to get hit by you. I've seen it happen.

If you've got a sponsor over there, do some checking. You will probably be able to pick up a used car to drive while your there and sell it to a GI when you're ready to leave for probably what you paid for it.

When I was in Okinawa that's exactly how it worked for me. The car was a turbo-charge Nissan screamer too. Sold it to my new OIC when I left.

We have quite a few European members here. Maybe it would be worth your while making a post with a subject like "European Member I Need Input" or something like that.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just offering food for thought based on my own experiences.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

i'm not even sure they have dodge dealers in germany so warranty work would have to wait and i'm sure maintenance items like filters would be hard to come by
Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearlcoat
Rep:59
BigJim1500 will become famous soon enough

Good advice from Rootbeer.
I moved back from Germany 4 years ago and visit every year for business. Plenty of other GIs take their trucks so you will miss it if you leave it here. That said, the gas is rationed as others pointed out. Your HEMI will drink through it quickly if that's all you drive. Then you'll pay local rates... $7 +

Parking will be a major issue all through Europe with a truck this size (and you'll piss off some locals during your travels). Your warranty will be N/A while there and insurance will be high. You'll be able to find American vehicle specialty shops off base and have maintenance items shipped to you (filters, belts, etc.).

Has anyone checked top speed on these trucks? I was comfortable cruising at 145 mph at times in my BMW. Don't think I'd do much over 100 in a Ram anyway. Germany speed limits are getting tighter with unrestricted zones slowly going away. Not sure I'd mess with the limiter.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just hoping to give you more to think about. Have fun and travel as much as you can.
Cheers!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Sounds like your getting some good advice . Something to consider .
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew C
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Red
Rep:22
Momud is on a distinguished road

I do know that our Rams will max out the spedo. Not sure on how much over 120 it wil go. I would worry about transmission failure from overheating at such speeds if it were prolonged though. Can't see maintaining 120+ for too long. Just my humble opinion.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram SLT Bighorn 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Red
Rep:10
BighornRam is on a distinguished road

UPDATE

Well I took all the advice and made a hard decision and left the truck in the states, and glad I did. We brought the CTS with us, and still stuck out like a sore thumb, not to mention the roads and parking spaces here are made for Smart Cars. There are guys here that have their Rams, and I actually feel sorry for them, with fuel over $4 and rising. The CTS is gone now, thank God. I hated that car. It was pretty bad when I have hit the speed limiter at 125mph and a VW minivan blows by you...lol. There are times I have needed the hauling abilities of a truck, but not enough to warrent having here. I will continue to lurk around here and add my two cents to help out if I can. TTFN.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:346
crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerammer09 View Post
Indeed, with a diablo predator you can turn off the mds & the speed limit.
I did it 2, so now i can give full power ;o
+1 on that i have the predator and it turn off completly the speed limiter and you have the option of the mds off and also it help with the esp it turn it a bit more off (they say completly but mine stays on a bit) but its way better than original off