DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 2500
Rep:10
kliese00 is on a distinguished road
Default Clunking noise. Any ideas?

Have had a clunking noise for a while now and it's driving me nuts. The truck (2004 ram 2500), drives great on flat nice roads. When i get on a bumpy road, it feels almost like something is loose in the front end. I get a clunking vibration. And it also drifts to the right slightly. just upgraded the steering linkage, changed all the ball joints, u joints, and brakes all last winter. So the front end is almost new. Was wondering if it was a shock or the tie rod ends, cause I only notice it on bumpy roads. How can i tell if it's the tie rods? Any help would be great.
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 QC-4.7
Trim Level: SLT
Color: DK Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:68
OldMoparMan63 will become famous soon enough

Jack the truck's front end up. Grap the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock. Move it back and forth gently. If a tie rod end is worn, (outer or inner) you'll feel it knock through the tire. Have a friend lay under the truck with his hand on the rod, and feel for inner movement, or spot the outer movement. Always use jackstands if someone's under the truck, unless it's your mother-in-law....and you're in the Will.

If they're tight, then suspect possibly a shock that has a worn bushing.

I'd also make sure the steering rack mounting bolts are tight.

Check for worn sway bar bushings. A worn bushing will seem tight on the ground, but over bumps the suspension moves, as does the sway bar, and it can contact metal, resonating through the suspension.

If you just had the front redone, and you have this issue, (assuming it wasn't there before), I'd be checking the new parts, and all mounting bolts that were touched for possibly a mistorqued bolt/nut.

If you rebuilt the front looking for the knocking, then look at the things you didn't touch.

As well....sometimes a brake caliper can rattle on bumps if the bushings/pins are worn. The way to isolate that is to drive the vehicle over known bumps with your foot gently on the brake pedal. If the knocking stops, then you know to look at the caliper. Chevys were more noted for this then Dodge ever was.

Last edited by OldMoparMan63; 11-23-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Arrival Blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
leon is on a distinguished road

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same truck, same issue. I haven't gone looking for the problem yet because its cold outside. I'd sure like to benefit if someone's already solved this.

regards,
Leon
Old 02-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 2500
kliese00 is on a distinguished road

good news I think. if it's the same problem I had. Ended up just being the sway bar bushings. Kind of surprised that they went so quickly, but it's better than what it could have been. They were bad because it drives like a new truck. Ended up getting the moog bushings, $27.00 at Napa. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Arrival Blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
leon is on a distinguished road

That was it! Thanks a bunch. That saved me a bunch of grief. I don't know if I would have ever though to check them. Moog part# k80821. I have a video of the bad link joint that I'll post in a few days.

regards,
Leon