DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
TITAN2T2 is on a distinguished road
Default Towing Question

Hello there fellow Ram enthusiasts....Please forgive if this is a dumb question, or in the wrong spot. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a 2010 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L. I'm getting relocated from Lackland AFB, TX to Scott AFB, IL in about 10 days (gotta love short notice). I am looking to tow my wife's car on one of those car trailers Uhaul offers (not the dolly one) but have heard varying weights for the 4.7's max capacity. Her car is a 2009 G6 that weighs about 3700'ish. With the car and trailer and baggage and 5 of us in the cab will the 4.7 do it? What do I need to do different since the truck has never towed anything before (it was a rental before I got her). I've towed before but it was with a Titan with "big tow" package and I remember it had a towing break in period seperate from the new break in 300 miles. Does the Ram have the same? I've looked online and the DVD but didn't see anything. Again please forgive the questions being "newb" but i figured if I could trust anyone on this it would be you all... Thanks again
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2010, 01:57 PM
erm

You just need to know what your total tow weight + total loaded truck weight is. This is your GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and then if that number is under your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) then yer good.

As far as break in, how many miles on your truck? I really wouldn't worry about a tow break in unless the truck is brand new with NO miles on it.

Just make sure you have good fluid levels in all boxes (crankcase, trans, differential(s).

Are you sorry to be leaving Lackland? I wasn't...LOL
Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Sport 4X4
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:53
Rattlecan will become famous soon enough

I'd go to the local U Haul store and ask for a service tech to help you out. They seem to have all the answers and know where to look if they don't. Congrats on your transfer. I left there in 1964. It's all a blur. lol
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you both. I am glad and sad to leave I came down to be an MTI so thats bittersweet to leave behind, but I got a heck of a base for my job. I've got 27K on the truck so should be good there. THank you again
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
erm

That's good duty. What does your PCS to Scott AFB have in store for you? What will you be doing? I suppose that MTI is not your primary AFSC, right?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

That is correct, I'm actually a Port Dawg 2T2/605. As of right now I'll be working at HQ AMC, of course subject to change when I get there
Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN2T2 View Post
That is correct, I'm actually a Port Dawg 2T2/605. As of right now I'll be working at HQ AMC, of course subject to change when I get there
LOL...always subject to change, given the vagaries of command decisions and mission requirements.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

You can also click on Body Builders guide at this link. https://www.dodge.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/

You'll be able to pick what your Ram's configuration is and it will tell you the towing capacity.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4
Color: Silver
Rep:30
ELFATKAT is on a distinguished road

I cannot comment on Lackland specifically, but I am originally from San Antonio and I cannot wait to move back. Well I take that back. I might be interested in moving to a few places before I get back to SA, but who know. I guess not SA in particular, but I defintely miss Texas. Sorry to get off topic, but I was browsing around for towing capacity as well and I saw the Texas reference and had to put in my $.02 in.

Thanks,
ELFATKAT
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Your GVWR is probably around 12,000lb, my 2010 4.7L quad cab is rated to tow 6,250lb. What I don't understand is my dad has the same truck with the older 4.7(less power) and he has the same tow rating. This doesn't make sense. The suspension, transmission, brakes, etc... are the same all the way up to the HEMI that can tow 10,000+ lbs, so if we have the same gearing shouldn't I be able to tow more....sorry to thread jack...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.