DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
M.Scipione is on a distinguished road
Default ipod port question

So I just upgraded from a '99 Dakota I had bought new to a '11 Ram 1500 and I almost feel like I need to go take a college class on all the gadgets.

One thing I am unable to sort out, The ipod port in the upr glove box.
Is it ONLY for ipods?
It looks like a standard USB port but when I plug my walkman into it nothing happens on the stereo.
It will charge the battery but I cant play any music from it through that port.

If I plug it into the USB port on the front of the stereo it will play and allow me to copy to the hard drive so I'm guessing these 2 ports are physically different somehow.

I will be putting all my music onto the hard drive in the next few weeks so its not really a major issue, but it does seem odd that it would only be compatible with one specific mp3 player.

Thanks for your help, Mike
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Hunter Green Pearl
Rep:10
Blazensky is on a distinguished road
Default Ipod issue

I don't know if it is specific to an certain type of ipod but I tried to hook up a recently purchased ipod shuffle and it did not work. I furthermore tried to plug in a ipod touch fourth generation and both times the radio attempted to connect then read, "error" when synching. Don't know if a mechanic at the dealership will be able to answer the problem with this. Anyone else?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Color: Flame Red
M.Scipione is on a distinguished road

I refuse to buy an ipod, the software that Apple forces you to install for it seizes system resources, demands pre-load and is basically pretty obtrusive.

This is what I am trying to plug into that port...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-N.../dp/B002IPHA4O

It charges, but other than that there is no function at all.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Infero Red/Gray
ellesar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Scipione View Post
So I just upgraded from a '99 Dakota I had bought new to a '11 Ram 1500 and I almost feel like I need to go take a college class on all the gadgets.

One thing I am unable to sort out, The ipod port in the upr glove box.
Is it ONLY for ipods?
It looks like a standard USB port but when I plug my walkman into it nothing happens on the stereo.
It will charge the battery but I cant play any music from it through that port.

If I plug it into the USB port on the front of the stereo it will play and allow me to copy to the hard drive so I'm guessing these 2 ports are physically different somehow.

I will be putting all my music onto the hard drive in the next few weeks so its not really a major issue, but it does seem odd that it would only be compatible with one specific mp3 player.

Thanks for your help, Mike

The port in the glove box will allow you to plug in your iPod or iPhone and control the playlists and track selection with the radio controls. The port on the front requires you to select the songs on the iPod itself and just acts as an audio source for the iPod/iPhone.

One thing to note, when you connect the iPhone to the port in the glove box, it won't act like a phone anymore.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Don B is on a distinguished road
Smile

I'm not an ipod fan but my daughter uses her old ipod (1st generation 30 gb) when she is driving my truck, with it connected in the glove box usb. I find it easier to load my music on one of my old laptop hard drive (40gb) connected to a dongle and connect it to the glove box usb port. I do have all my functions that way including playlist capabilities, etc. Furthermore I can always take that drive back to my music room and add more music from my cd's to the drive and don't have to worry about losing my cd's anymore. My cd's contain songs that are more than twenty years old and can't afford to have an ipod messing with my vintage.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:67
Rough 01 will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately the iPod connector in the glove box doesn't work with the newer ipods and iphones (anything that runs above iOS 4.0). You can read on the attached reference guide which models of apple devices work with our radios.

Hope this helps because it frustrates the crap outta me that my new 2011 truck won't work with my new ipod 4g.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Apple_Devices_Compatibility_Test_Report_Rev_B (3).pdf (343.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Grey Metalic
Lothario80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazensky View Post
I don't know if it is specific to an certain type of ipod but I tried to hook up a recently purchased ipod shuffle and it did not work. I furthermore tried to plug in a ipod touch fourth generation and both times the radio attempted to connect then read, "error" when synching. Don't know if a mechanic at the dealership will be able to answer the problem with this. Anyone else?
I have plugged my Blackberry Curve 3G and Bold 9700 to the port in the glove box and it works perfectly. Even shows the name of the song and infomation on the display. Able to change folders etc. as well as control from the steering wheel.

Loth.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

try using APPLE PATCH 4.2, not the newer patch
it is said to work well with Uconnect
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie, Brown/Tan
Color: Elegant Pearl Black
Ramoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazensky View Post
I have the same exact problem with my iPhone. I quit even fooling with it and just put all 19 gig's from my itunes onto the Hard Drive. Better sound quality and easier to navigate. Plus the uConnect wouldn't stream bluetooth. Bluetooth phone works fine, but the audio streaming sounds like it's being fed into the radio through a coat hanger. It's a junk system compared to the system in my wife's 2010 Altima. That thing is flawless.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
RedDodge is on a distinguished road

When you saud you had a "Walkman", I invisioned the old single CD player...lol.

I have an original I-pod and it works fine.

Mods: Tinted front windows, UnderCover tonneau bed cover, step rails, bed mat, cabin air filter, 4 corner mud flaps, slush mats, drop in K&N filter.