DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough
Default Biggest/Best MicroFiber Towels you've used?

I've found most microfiber towels are too small and pretty pricey. I don't reuse or wash the microfiber towels after i'm done using them so I'm trying to get the best value for the towel. The best i've used personally are Meguiar's Microfiber towels..they don't shed at all, they're soft, and they are pretty big. I think they are 16''x24''. So I can use 1 Meguiar's Microfiber towel to remove wax or to detail. I have to use 3-5 of the real small ones vs. 1 Meguiar's, so I just use the smaller ones to clean the wheels, my exhaust or to wipe down under the hood.

The thing is the Meguiar's microfiber towels are closer to $2 or so a piece, while those smaller ones are a dollar or less. I got the Meguiar's last year when they were on sale for about $1.30 a piece so the next time they go on sale i'm gonna buy more. But I was curious what other microfiber towels some of you have used which are lengthy is size and a good value for the money? Anything out there a better value then the Meguiars?
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue pearl
Rep:186
bamasport has a spectacular aura aboutbamasport has a spectacular aura about

I've never personally used the Maguiars ones, only the small little ones. but why dont you reuse them? why not just wash and reuse them atleast once? would save you money in the long run
3.92 rear axle, OEM 20" rims, 20% tint, Mopar wheel-to-wheel side steps, K&N drop-in air filter, LineX bedliner, OEM Tow hooks, Rampage Tailgate Light Bar, Borla Cat Back, 6" BDS lift, 35x12.50x20 Nitto trail grapplers, Custom painted interior, dodge slush mats
JON
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM

@bamasport,

I thought about re-using them I just cant see myself putting microfiber towels in the laundry with all the wax and chemicals in the details and then putting clothes in the washer after. And then after they dry I can't imagine them being as soft...they'd probably be harder at least to some degree and the idea of using them is to not have them cause any scratching or anything abrasive.

With that being said, I have the absorber for drying my truck and that thing has to be the overall best car product EVER made. 3.5 years and going and it still works like the FIRST DAY I got it. I get the smaller, regular microfiber towels for like .60 cents each, so using a couple of them on my wheels and under the hood for a wipe down every wash isn't costly.

I only use the bigger, Meguiar's microfiber towels to do a full interior cleaning, to remove wax, and to detail in between waxes. So a typical wash and dry doesn't use any of the Meguiars Microfiber towels. But I do Wax every 2-3 months, and do a lot of the spray waxing and speed detailers in between. So in a 3 months time I can easily go through 10 or so of the Meguiars larger microfiber towels, and at the end of the year that's becomes pretty costly.

So I was hoping someone had some good experiences with other microfiber towels that are larger in size and of good quality like the Meguiars..just not as costly. The Zwipes on Amazon have great reviews but if you read some of the reviews, those too are pretty small. Anyone have any other good tips or suggestions on quality, large Microfiber towels at a good price?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:158
SslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura aboutSslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura about

The maguires towels are pretty good, and just wash them bro, dont waste the money to get new ones, I detail show cars and theres nothing wrong with the washed ones. and if you are worried abotu the washing machine you can always wash them by hand or do what i do and take them to the laundry mat i have like 200 though. just make sure not to use fabric softener.

Semper FI
Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 4X4
Color: deep water blue pearl
Rep:186
bamasport has a spectacular aura aboutbamasport has a spectacular aura about

The reason i asked that question earlier was because my job going through high school was detailing cars and boats. I have detailed pretty much every car, not show cars like ^^^^ this guy but we washed and reused the microfiber towels all the time and changed them out every couple of months. I understand the whole chemical thing but taking them to a laundry mat or washing by hand, also like ^^^^ said, would save you the time and money to keep finding microfiber towels. Just a thought, if you dont want too, i would try them ones you found on amazon.
3.92 rear axle, OEM 20" rims, 20% tint, Mopar wheel-to-wheel side steps, K&N drop-in air filter, LineX bedliner, OEM Tow hooks, Rampage Tailgate Light Bar, Borla Cat Back, 6" BDS lift, 35x12.50x20 Nitto trail grapplers, Custom painted interior, dodge slush mats
JON
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:158
SslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura aboutSslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasport View Post
The reason i asked that question earlier was because my job going through high school was detailing cars and boats. I have detailed pretty much every car, not show cars like ^^^^ this guy but we washed and reused the microfiber towels all the time and changed them out every couple of months. I understand the whole chemical thing but taking them to a laundry mat or washing by hand, also like ^^^^ said, would save you the time and money to keep finding microfiber towels. Just a thought, if you dont want too, i would try them ones you found on amazon.
Believe me detailing a show car isnt much different than detailing any other car, except you pay extra care to detail, chances are your using a polisher, and theres undercarriage work, and alot of engine bay cleaning. Plus the owners are anal as hell. You take alot of extra precautions, like a 5 bucket washing system. In the end it pays off though, theres a Chevelle that i detail once a year when it comes out of storage that I get $4000 to detail. It takes me 2 full weeks, roughly 60 hours. theres sooooo much chrome.

But towel wise even places like Sam's Club or Costco have jumbo packs for a decent price.

Semper FI
Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:84
Chubby Bruiser will become famous soon enough

Target sells some pretty good towels and I wash and reuse them constantly.
Westin Nerf Bars, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps, Mopar Slush Mats, Chubby Antenna, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Bosch Wiper Blades, Weathertech Vent Visors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Reese Tow Package with Anti Sway Bars, B Pillar Black Tape Removed, Mopar Chrome Gas Door, Mods to come - 14 inch Mufflex, CAI, Headers, Michelin Tires, Chrome Bed Rails.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM

@Z28...

thanks for the tips and advice on washing the cloths...I definitely had my reservations but with your experience in detailing I don't have those concerns anymore. Good tip on the fabric softener as well. With that said I can see why you reuse your microfiber towels...you do a lot of detailing and it would be extremely costly for you to toss them after each detail. In my case I only need the large microfiber towels when I do the full interior with a meguiar's interior detailer or when I do a full spray detailer/wax, and/or to remove a full wax job. With a standard wash and dry I only use a couple of small microfiber towels on the exhaust and wheels.

So If I could get some larger microfiber towels around .70 cents, then the yearly cost of them would be solid...and not nearly as bad as paying 2-3x as much. So in my case I really wouldn't have enough to wash to go to the laundry mat and chemicalize their machines...ahahahahaa......but I did just find a great deal on the autocraft microfiber deals at advance auto, so i'm waiting for those to get delivered next week and see the size of those. With the discount they wre like .67 cents each.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:32
dankent is on a distinguished road

I use the Adam's polishes towels ... nice and plush with seamed edges and no tags. I boil them to clean em. quick run in dryer.