DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: jet-focking-black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
gsxrken is on a distinguished road

I wish there was an authoritative resource for this issue.
1. Is it a mis-placed fill plug?
2. Is it the factory somehow under-filling them after 2 years of filling them to spec?
3. Or is it the Chinese bearing crap that they have decided they can kick the can down the road past the 100k powertrain warranty by overfilling?

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chr...2SRJ1K7CG33IL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKid View Post
TEAM MEMBER wrote ....those AXLES were built in MAP using those bearings made in China. DAP uses bearings made by Timken a USA Company. Now Detroit Axle will be open a little longer to fix MAP problem.
It's a ZF change that messed up the axle, ZF convinced Chrysler and Fiat they they had a cheaper and better way of making the part, it wasn't a good decision, I hear they added more oil and it seems to helped the problem, dramatically (95%), fiat and chrysler engineers and upper management were in yesterday at marysville and will decide by next week what to do with the issue from the bearings from China that are "softer" than what they used before, you were right, it wasn't at Detroit Axle, i was given some wrong information, i called and got the correct info, thanks TEAM Member, let's hope they get it right, but ZF dropped the ball on this one, big time, i hear there were really 3 issues? is that correct?
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport QC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Premium
Color: White
Rep:85
2011Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
2. Is it the factory somehow under-filling them after 2 years of filling them to spec?
3. Or is it the Chinese bearing crap that they have decided they can kick the can down the road past the 100k powertrain warranty by overfilling?

Dealer did that RRT while I was in to get the remote installed. Hmmm... maybe get rid of new ride sooner than I thought, or try to get new rear diff installed before warranty runs out. Rear diff only?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:26
bucholj is on a distinguished road

The dealer called me a few days ago to bring my truck in today. They added the 19 oz of fluid. When I signed the slip the guy at the counter said this was a temporary fix and I would get a call again when they receive the new covers. Has anybody else been told this I thought it was odd and did not want to get inquisitive with the guy and be that customer that seems to know it all, but I have not heard or read any info about new differential covers being installed at a later date. I thought this recall was in regards to a miss/low service at the plant.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post

Lube is put in by machine. It got out of whack. 19 oz is enough to bring the rear axles that got the minimum up to spec.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
LineCutter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene K View Post
Lube is put in by machine. It got out of whack. 19 oz is enough to bring the rear axles that got the minimum up to spec.
I'm guessing that is not the case since the RRT is instructing dealers to add the 19 ounces of lube through the top vent hole instead of the regular fill plug.

Has anyone removed the plug from a newer build to see if it is over-filled (lube will come running out when truck is level)?

I think the 19 ounces of added fluid is a bandaid, not the long term solution.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

heck, it could be that some covers had the fill hole too low in the differential cover

i have been thinking about a different cover, there are some nice ones out there, like this one, with a fill hole & dipstick & a magnetized drain plug
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orus...dproduct=10676

Mag-Hytec's heavy duty differential covers provide increased lubricant and cooling capacity for hard working recreational and service vehicles. Mag-Hytec covers set your vehicle apart in both aesthetics and function - cast in A356-T6 aluminum and texture powder coated black with machined cooling fins. Magnetic drain plugs trap worn gear material promoting fluid integrity. Each unit is fitted with ARP 568 O-rings for superior sealing. All hardware is 303 stainless steel, in most applications no gasket or sealant is required, and all Mag-Hytec parts are covered by a lifetime limited warranty.

http://bowlertransmissions.com/item-details/?iid=307 with a filler at the side center & a magnetic drain plug
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 03-08-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

Crap, can I buy a car that the diff doesn't implode? I went through two on my car. The third is a keeper.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
LineCutter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
heck, it could be that some covers had the fill hole too low in the differential cover
The differential fill hole/plug is in the rear end casting on the front right of the differential, it is not in a replaceable differential cover.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Texas4X4Ram is on a distinguished road

I am a new Dodge owner and have been reading about this Differential problem. So I own a Minute Lube so I checked my Diff this evening it is overfilled. My Truck was built 1/11 looking at the fill plug it is placed at the bottom of the axle tube. It is a design flaw that is why the are over filling it. I wish I would have read about this before I bought this truck. Guess it's a wait and see what they do to correct it.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas4X4Ram View Post
I am a new Dodge owner and have been reading about this Differential problem. So I own a Minute Lube so I checked my Diff this evening it is overfilled. My Truck was built 1/11 looking at the fill plug it is placed at the bottom of the axle tube. It is a design flaw that is why the are over filling it. I wish I would have read about this before I bought this truck. Guess it's a wait and see what they do to correct it.
Wow good to know. Should be a recall then eventually because one day we all will have to change the fluid, some not from a Dodge dealership. Wish I would have known too before I spend $50k for it, but damn I love my truck.