DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rick980 is on a distinguished road
Default Another Spark Plug question

Does anyone know if the factory uses spark plug antiseize on the HEMI? My concern is not having to change the spark plugs at 50k,kms I am worried they will rust in there before I get close, it's been 2 years and we only have 14k, kms so at that rate we wont need them for like 5 years, will they rust in or should i have them changed like at 3 years just for fun. I have gold warranty so I imagine I would be covered but I don't want an engine with 4 helicoils in it, I could live with one but prefer none! I am wondering if that catch can deal would help to keep plugs cleaner?
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

You probably gonna be ok . I don't think the factory uses anti-seize . If your that worried about it . Pull the plugs and anti-seize them now . But I think you'll be fine .
Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 QC/5.7L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Stone white
ripplek is on a distinguished road

Yeah, anti-seize definitely can't hurt. I used it in the oilfield out in the gulf for nearly 30yrs, where everything seizes from salt. It was a life saver.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

My owners manual says to change the plugs at 30,000 miles (50,000 km) OR 30 months. IMHO that means which ever comes first, not at your choice.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave

Last edited by Studbuster; 02-20-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Modern plugs have a special coating that serves as an anti seize. The torque settings for plug installation take that into account. If you change the plugs you do not need to apply anti-seize but if you do, then you need to compensate for it regarding the torque used. Because the anti seize has lubrication, the recommended torque setting for new plugs will result in over-tightening and then maybe problems with threads as the dissimilar metals expand and contract at different temperatures. As a matter of fact, plug manufactures warn installers to "DO NOT APPLY ANTI SEIZE". The other aspect of this discussion is that once the new plugs are installed and removed, some of the coating gets rubbed off which will then cause the seizing of the plugs, in this case you need to apply some anti seize and do your best to get them torqued right. You are better off buying new plugs every time or have the dealer do the job so if something goes wrong, they will be responsible.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I've seen the aforementioned coated plugs seize in heads before. If you checked my plugs, you'd find antiseize on them. It's cheap insurance.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

If you don't get the torque correct they may seize, if you remove them and scratch the coating, and then reuse them, they may seize. I doubt that the original Chrysler design is conducive to seizing or they would go broke fixing the heads. I would almost bet that the ones Ram Tech is referring to are not the original plugs and were pulled by the owner to clean and re-gap without anti seize. I doesn't pay to reuse old plugs and then not torque them properly. I don't want to be argumentative but if the plug manufacturer and Chrysler both tell you to not use anti seize, then I won't.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

the other thing to consider is that the plugs r in a nearly sealed chamber where the coil boosts seal the outside of the plug deep into the head. this isnt some antique design where the plugs hang off the sides of the motor next to the exhaust. most plugs located in tubes will look brand new after years of service because of there location. in my opinion the more you fiddle around with those boots and plugs the more likely you r to have human error enter the equation with poorly sealed boots or improperly installed plugs. the last thing u want is a spark plug tube with condensation and debris in it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
rick980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMILANCER View Post
the other thing to consider is that the plugs r in a nearly sealed chamber where the coil boosts seal the outside of the plug deep into the head. this isnt some antique design where the plugs hang off the sides of the motor next to the exhaust. most plugs located in tubes will look brand new after years of service because of there location. in my opinion the more you fiddle around with those boots and plugs the more likely you r to have human error enter the equation with poorly sealed boots or improperly installed plugs. the last thing u want is a spark plug tube with condensation and debris in it.
Now this is the way I wish my mind would work....I am going to check the manual and if if does indeed say or 30 months then I will have them done by the dealer of course so when things go wrong they can eat it. But I would just as soon them no have a problem, would rather the plug come out and go in easy. I also want to see the condition of them and where each one came from even if I have to pay extra for them to keep track of that. If they look like new and are stilled within range for the gap I will be sending them to Chrysler for my money back. Labour included.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't want to be argumentative but if the plug manufacturer and Chrysler both tell you to not use anti seize, then I won't.
This is the same argument for not installing bed trim on 2001 and 2002 trucks vs 2000 an pre model year trucks. It save money not to have items installed. Not applying anti seize can save them millions of dollars per year when you sell 10 million automobiles.

I have always used it and I would always recommend it...jut ask Ford about plugs stuck in heads. Now they say use antiseize even on the one piece plugs. Its up to you, but all mechanics I know use it. And if you use a torque wrench for final torque, turn it back about 1 ft/lb.