DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
2003BlackRam is on a distinguished road
Default Having starting problems

Ok I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 with about 63,000 miles. It was my dad's truck since it was new. He drove it easy and was never rough or anything on it. Ok all that aside, lately its been having a hard time starting. I can turn the key on and off three or four times and then it will start but run rough for a second. That made me think that its the fuel pump, so I changed it. Immediately it started starting on your first crank. Thought my problem was fixed, a few days later the problem came back. But before i changed the fuel pump I had 1 code pop up for a day and then it went away and hasnt come back since. It was a P0301 which was a misfire in cylinder 1. Did my new fuel pump take a crap on me almost immediately or is there another problem? Also, when i checked my fuel pressure before i changed the pump it was only like 45psi which is only slightly low, and I made the mistake of not checking my fuel pressure right after the swap so im not sure of what it was right after.

And now even sometimes when I turn the key on and off 3 or 4 times it still has to crank for a few second before it fires and runs rough. Whats the deal?
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Tan
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Rammy03 is on a distinguished road

I recommend you take off the valve cover where piston one is located and check the valve springs. Rams have had a problem with breaking valve springs, it causes the valve not to seat properly and idle and run rough. I had the same code on mine, except mine was P0308. Best of luck!