DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Place your Ad Here!

Old 07-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
N2DFire is on a distinguished road
Default 4th Gen Mopar Heavy Duty Mud Flaps Install

Before you even start this project you should know that even though they are all 4th Gen; there are some differences between 2009-10 models and 2011 & up.
Apparently they changed the design of the front rock guard (aka spats aka fender guards) as you can see below - more on why this is important later.

Here is a picture of an 09-10 spat on the left and the one from my 2015 on the right (both for the left / drivers side).

Now - in order to install mud flaps, first you need to HAVE mud flaps so here are some part numbers, please note these are for trucks WITHOUT fender flares.
Rear:
82211267AB: Ram head only
82212290: Ram head with "RAM" beneath it

Front:

The install for the rear is really pretty straightforward.
All the mounting holes but one match the existing screws from the factory fender guards. The remaining missing hole is to support the inner side of the mud flap. The only real advice I can offer here is that if you don't have a right angle drill, then plan to pull the wheel. It's almost nicer to have the room even if you do have the right angle drill.

The front install gets a bit trickier and there are a couple different issues to overcome.

Here is a shot of the Left / Drivers side mud flap as seen from the wheel well side (inside)

and here is the Left / Drivers side mud flap as seen from the body side (outside)

Issue #1
See that cute little V shaped notch in the center? That's why I brought up the issue with the spats and it gives a couple different install options.

Option 1 - Install as directed with the spat removed.

This is a close up shot from inside the wheel well with the spats removed (as the instructions show) and the mud flap installed.
As you can see there's a good bit of daylight that road spray & crud could get through (thus defeating the whole mud flap thing) but what isn't quite so clear there (my fault) in the top center there is an opening to the interior of the body panels. I don't know about you but that's the last place I want water, grime, and road salt going.

Option 2A - Install over stock spats (for 2011 & up)

Here's a shot with the Left / Drivers side installed over the larger 2011 & up spat (excuse the dirt - that was the week it rained every freaking day). As you can see the molded lip on the flap doesn't seat well and where the spat stops it leaves another gap for crud to get in between the flap & the body.

Option 2B - Install over stock spats (for 2009-10)

As you can (hopefully) see, they fit much cleaner and tighter with the smaller spats

Option 3 (for 2011 & up) Cut down the larger style spat to fit.
This really didn't appeal to me. I had found one YouTube where someone else tried it and while it worked ok, they weren't happy with the results either.

What I ended up doing was ordering the older version of the spats. If that's your option of choice as well then you will need these additional parts.

55372927AD - Fender Guard - Left
55372926AD - Fender Guard - Right

Issue #2

The install instructions indicate that you should remove the bottom three screws (along with the spat) the problem there is that there IS NO third screw.

There is a hole where a screw could go but that's about it. There is also no clip nut on the inside and a fairly large notch where the clip nut should be.

The mud flaps come with all new screws to install them with but no clip nuts. So the first thing we need to do is obtain clip nuts. The guy at my dealers parts counter was awesome to work with. He gave me 3 of every style clip nut he had that fit the screws that came with the mud flaps.

Second that notch in the fender liner is pretty large and it's kind of tricky getting the clip nuts to stay in place without much fender liner to grab to. I ended up super gluing mine in place just because I was afraid they would come off once I tried to use them.

The last burning question I see with all the Mud Flap styles is how close are they to the Wheel to Wheel running boards.

It's hard to estimate but it's roughly a half inch of even open space between the flap and running board so there should be no clearance issues at all.

Well - that's my $.02 worth on the topic. All things considered it wasn't a bad little project. Just a bit of a learning curve that I have hopefully eliminated for future folk.
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2015, 03:01 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 CC
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2968
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent write up. Thanks for the show and tell.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM

Thanks Roger.

Hopefully it will help someone out.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:40 AM

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Hey, your pics are gone. Did you remove them from the website that they were linked to?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 QC SLT
Trim Level: Big Horn
Limeybastard is on a distinguished road

I had the issue when installing my Duraflaps today on my quad cab.

The very same issue # 2, there is no 3rd screw nor a place to put one onto the inner fender liner. So I devised my own theory. I cut a small piece of 3m paint protector film wrapped it around the hole, expanded the supplied clip nut a little making it wider, then slid it over. This in turn allowed me to fit the mudflap to the fronts. My mud flaps touch the running boards, but it doesnt bother me that much. I did cheap out on the running boards and bought and fitted the 5" ebay iBoard ones LOL. If anyone needs help with these please ask me.

The hole you showed in one of your pics, I dont have one, but I still see the existing spat covering the corner of the fender. I would love to be able to block that area entirly with something, any ideas?

The problem I also see, is that Chrysler decided to use metal screws going into the metal fender holes, front and back fender arch areas. My ride is new, I looked closely on the ones I removed, one on each back was already chipped and started to rust from factory, obvioulsy the person screwing them in was a smidge / hair out and caught the paint around the hole. So, for others please check and prep before putting it back.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
You're welcome. Hey, your pics are gone. Did you remove them from the website that they were linked to?
Hmm - no I haven't done anything with them since I uploaded them. They are on PhotoBucket so maybe I've exceed some bandwidth limit?

I'm currently at work and they block PB so I never see images when I'm here anyway.

I went to PB on my phone and all the images (even some I didn't link) are still in the same folder I had them in / linked them from.

I'll try to look from home tonight and see what it looks like there.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
The hole you showed in one of your pics, I dont have one, but I still see the existing spat covering the corner of the fender. I would love to be able to block that area entirly with something, any ideas?
These are the same way. Here's a shot I had but didn't include before from the inside with the spats in place.

You can still see it where the notch was and I honestly think the notch is there to accommodate the spats so that's why the instructions to (as I read it anyway) discard them confused me.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:05 AM

The pics are back. Could've been my puter stuck in stupid.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 QC SLT
Trim Level: Big Horn
Limeybastard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
These are the same way. Here's a shot I had but didn't include before from the inside with the spats in place.

You can still see it where the notch was and I honestly think the notch is there to accommodate the spats so that's why the instructions to (as I read it anyway) discard them confused me.

Looking good. Still would like to be able to block that area of completely , perhaps cover it with something. Any ideas on what ? Duct tape? LOL
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Duct tape? LOL
Well they say duct tape fixes everything LOL

Best I can remember after refreshing my memory from the pictures; there is a slight protrusion of the sheet metal into the otherwise smooth plane of the wheel well liner. Even the spats "bump out" to cover it.

I guess you could always put something (like a thinner piece of rubber) over the entire inside of the mud flap but even then I'm not sure how you'd secure it to the other flap at the bottom.

Maybe spray foam it and sand it smooth, then paint it with line-x LOL