DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Sport Package
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
blownengine is on a distinguished road
Default My Youtube channel, new speaker pod build

Hey guys, I started a new Youtube channel a while back to show all the work I do to my truck and some of my friends. My username is Scheufler26.

Im working on a fiberglass speaker pod dash build for my Ram. I have two videos right now of building the skeleton and im working on more now.
Here are the first two:

My latest videos are taken with a new Sony Cybershot. The older ones are of much less video quality.

Hit that little subscribe button to keep up with my builds

Thanks guys

Dan
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

This could be a great build Is there a reason you went with plywood rather than something a little more dense like MDF or hardboard?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM

I actually started with 3/4 MDF but it kept spliting and falling apart when i cut it really thin. The 3/4 plywood I had lying around and it doesnt fall apart like the MDF. It also took me a couple tries since I had to freehand the circles. That was a waste of a few hours...... Im working on wrapping them with fleece as we speak. Its very hard because of all the odd shapes. Ill post a video soon.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:08 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I just did my own door panels, so I know the sorrows of 'glassing for the first time; tip... only mix as much resin as you can use in 5 min or it'll start to gel and you'll have wasted the rest of it.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Advice taken. There is alot of stuff i would like to do like the whole door panel. But since it's still my dads truck technically I'm kinda limited. Everyone has been there. I would have liked to put the 3.5's in the A-Pillar. But of course that breaks the "Dont mess everything up" rule. Haha
Old 02-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I push the skinny pedal

I did my whole door and I was NOT happy with how it sat in the vehicle; definately too heavy and it's hard to get the panel to fit properly. Here's how it looked before I planned to paint it (at the pre-fit phase).

I'm now actually forking over the $$ to get a local pro to do the panels from the lower mould line down to hold my an 8", a 6.5" 2-way and a 6.5" 3-way.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:158
SslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura aboutSslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura about

Are you sure you were using actual MDF? I've never had it fall apart on me :/ Also bro, lol you should make the $40 investment in a jasper circle jig, its what I use to build my boxes, and I also use if for other things.

http://www.jaspertools.com/productsd...Circle%20Guide

Aside from that, CdnoilRAM is right only mis enough resin to use in about 5 min. make sure you do the outside and inside of the fleece.

Also, you prolly should have angled the speaker towards the center of the truck, you get better sound that way with the crossing pattern of the speakers.

What else.... Oh remember that the fleece only stretches in 1 direction. Since your dealing with such a small piece it might not matter but if you do make something bigger its nice to know that.

How are you going to finish the pods, are they going to be painted, or wrapped? If your going to pain make sure you sand out all the resin bubble first before you bondo. It will save you tons of headaches in the future.

Remember also not to go thick with the bondo keep it as thin as possible to avoid cracking later on.

For future reference a double ring set-up would give you a cleaner look, but I'm not sure you have the room for that. It would allow the speaker to sit flush in the pod, for a built in look.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I've been doing this stuff for about 6 years now. Most people though dont want to pay my fiberglass pricing so i stick mostly to MDF these days, but I made my fiberglass box for my Camaro.

Semper FI
Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Ouch that really hurts. My project is small enough that it wont kill me if it doesnt work. I will slowly work my way up to a whole door.

Yea it was legit 3/4 MDF. I just cut it so thin it wanted to break easy. I have wanted to get a circle jig for a while but it just hasnt been a top priority. Hopefully the bondo will smooth it out enough. Its alot more work though..... And i would have mounted them flush but the 3.5 Kickers I'm using have little mounting tabs that would make it awkward and hard to make. And i don't have alot of room to work with. I will mention that in my next video.

O and thanks for all the tips guys

Last edited by blownengine; 02-20-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 AM

Third video, wrapping the fleece.

Remember to hit that little subscribe button to keep up to date
Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Banned

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
392HEMI is on a distinguished road

WTF

Why use plywood ? Use MDF , Block out your door with speaker rings , wrap with fleece , then pour fiberglass , quick sand with 80 grit , the mix lightweight body filler with fiberglass resin 75/25 ration , quick wipe and its smooth as silk. Leather wrap or paint

Last edited by 392HEMI; 02-21-2011 at 03:16 AM.