DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Laremie Diesil
Color: Black
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:126
wetcoastdude will become famous soon enoughwetcoastdude will become famous soon enough
Default Door window swiches change to blue?

I am working on "BLUEING" out the interior(lights) of my truck and have done everything except the window switches on each door. Anybody have any ideas on how to make the green lighting blue. I tried blue tint but the green is not bright enough so it for certain needs a blue light in there.

I think what I am going to do is find the positive and negative power supply on that unit and run a 3mm led blue light with a 1k resistor and hot glue it into the inside of the clear switch facing up. Its the only way I can think off.

This is the picture of one switch. the green led is at the bottom of this and there is no way of replacing that or getting at it. I think I would just block it of sure that not green light gets through.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
wetcoastdude will become famous soon enoughwetcoastdude will become famous soon enough

Kinda feel like i am having this conversation with myself but here it goes.

First off while this write up may seem vague i have to admit that I am not an electrician or a mechanic it is just what I tried and it worked for me. An the result was this:

In the above photo I have the "auto switch in the wrong location. The auto switch is unique of the rest. it must be put back in the same position and direction or your auto window will not work.

The since it is imposable for me to replace the little green light inside with a blue on i just blocked the green light and installed 5mm blue leds( but i recommend using 3mm blue led 5 was all I had) and pointed then at each switch inside and relied on the properties of fiber-optics to exit the switch at the top.

While I can not do a complete write up on this I will put as much as I can in point form.

The 2 door switches on the passenger side were really easy to do. What you have to do is take the switches out and take them apart so that the circuit boards are exposed. then plug them into the truck and turn the lights on and the key on. then you have to take a volt meter and find the positive post. each unit will have one + and multiple negative power sources(one for each item ie power window,power lock) but you have to use the negative power source that is not for the power lock or a window. this source is likely for the original lights(i hope anyway) To find a negative power source on the board that is free first find your positive source(should only be one in each unit) then go to your first negative power source. with the meter on these 2 sources try all the switches an watch the meter for a fluctuation in power. if you see a fluctuation do not use that negative power supply. Use one that you can not find a fluctuation for any of the switches.

For some reason i can not put 5 lights in a series so 4 lights go in a series and on light is by itself. The light that is by itself I gave 2 680 1/8 watt resistors and the series of 4 got one 680 resistor. The single switches on the passenger side I gave each 1 680 resistor as well.

to do this you will need

Solder stuff
tweezers
nail clippers
hot glue gun
sand paper
3mm led lights with the tops sanded off to disperse light
680 ohm 1/8 watt resistors
some tiny wire(i just used resistor clippings)

The hot glue is to glue the lights down and to insulate and secure wire where you see fit.
When you are power testing the board on the driver side the passenger side must be plugged in as well and visa versa.
The insides of these units are filthy so clean any areas that you use hot glue on.
I cant really think of anything else.

Sorry I do not have the time to do a complete step by step thingy. I just do not have the time.

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 03-29-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: some additional info
Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Don't worry. We're watching. You're in uncharted waters is all. It's not a common modification. Please keep up the dialog.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:158
SslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura aboutSslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura about

Actually thats a good idea. LED's dont pull alot of power so you dont run any risks wiring up an additional one. Great mod and it looks awesome... I'll be doing this kinda stuff with red LED's once the outside of the truck looks the way I want.

Semper FI
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 4.7L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue Pearl
Rep:23
southpaw5m is on a distinguished road

how did you pull off the black top piece or the switch? I am doing this but cant pull the switch out because it's attached to the top black part. I'm doing one switch at a time pulling them out individually from the bottom.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

assuming you have exposed the switch the black covers do pry off. They come strait up. use a long flat head screw driver and pry up on one side than the other. Takes a bit of force and car full they will take to flight and fly across the room so just be carful not to loose them.
Oh and by the way, If I am going to help out with this all I ask in return is to see some photo's, please post your photo's when you are done.

j
Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 PM

thanks Sir, I have been trying to pull straight up with my hands and have just been hurting my fingers instead, they are on there good. I don't have my LEDs yet they are in the mail so it will be a week until the project but I will post pics for sure. I'll use my old passenger side window switch as a Guinea pig, I had to get a new one today, my passenger window hasn't worked in months
Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Just took it off thanks, works great!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Pleasure to be helpful.
Waiting for leds in the mail is painful.
I have an led addiction.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM

It's definitely an addiction, with no bounds either, I feel your pain. There is no way to get to the light. I'll probably do as you did. Only 3mm LEDs with 470ohm resistors, and put them directly into the clear housing. Just have to see which one is positive and negative like you were saying.